Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
SPOILER TIME.

It's gonna be

Front will drive

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Knowing those incompetent Bozo's, it'll have an Ecotec for power, and be based on the Saturn Vue chassis.

By the way, I hate the grille too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF is Front WILL drive?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looks like a Dodge to me.

Me too, and it looks like they are copying what Ford did with the Mustang.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Funny cause thats above the EPA rating for the Vett. You drive on Interstates a lot?

I got 33 MPG on the last one I drove on a trip.  I drove it from upstate SC to Charleston, SC to pick-up something for the owner.  Even though half the trip was up and down steep hills on I-26, I still got great gas mileage.  The owner usually averages about 28 MPG even though he drives the car hard.  About 3/4 of his miles are on the Interstate back and forth to work.

The EPA rating is a strange thing.  On our Chevy trucks we always get way above the rating, but with our Fords we get much less than the EPA rating.  The ratings on the Toyotas are usually much closer.  I think on the Corvette since it's geared so high (basically idle at 55 MPH in sixth) that the 55 MPH EPA test lugs the engine since they run it in high gear.  If you drive in 5th at 50MPH or 6th at 65MPH I've noticed that you do 5+ MPG better than the rating.z
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice Mustang. Oh wait that's not a Mustang?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
WTF is Front WILL drive?

should have said no will, front will drive.  I've been at work for 15 hours. Sorry  
But like I said,  not concrete, just what the F-Body Clubs are saying.  I have an interest in this and follow it pretty closely, I hope it's BS.  

I'm an F-Body nut. Mine \/ \/ \/ \/
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#8]
i really like the retro-muscle car trend. i have yet to see the pontiac GTO based chevelle SS i was hoping for but i think this is a step in the right direction.

im not loving the grill either, it should be more straight across and i think throw back hide-aways would look good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF is Front WILL drive?

should have said no will, front will drive.  I've been at work for 15 hours. Sorry  
But like I said,  not concrete, just what the F-Body Clubs are saying.  I have an interest in this and follow it pretty closely, I hope it's BS.  

I'm an F-Body nut. Mine \/ \/ \/ \/
img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/dustyc/Hosting/Firebird001.jpg

Your still not making any sence
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm tired, I fucked up, I meant wheel.  And I hope its RWD not FWD
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#11]
FWD?
Talk about stupidity!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#12]
they did it with the Impala.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
FWD?
Talk about stupidity!

pontiac aztek, pointiac vibe, hummer h2, hummer h3, uhh yeah I think that GM is on a roll with stupidity
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
GM will be bankrupt and closed down by then.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I like the 2007 Challenger more. Waiting patiently for next year.

me too, but Im hoping current owners of 70s Challengers sell for less let than current market price
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Not diggin the grill.

but everything else looks great.

A take-off of the '69 grill.  Kinda brings me home.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like a pointier version of the new Dodge Chargers, and I like the new Dodge Chargers better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I HATE THE RETRO MOVEMENT!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#22]
its rear wheel drive...dont worry
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Front wheel drive?

It looks like its going to get independent rear suspension.(and of course RWD)

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
YUK.

So far the only retro car I'd buy is the new Mustang.

I'd buy this though if it really comes out.

automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_01_445.jpg
automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_02_445.jpg
automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_03_445.jpg
automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_04_445.jpg

There is no 'IF', the Challenger is cleared for production.  It will be in stores this July

This July? The chances of that are slim I think but who knows. Im in for an SRT8 version but I will probably have to wait a year to get the employee discount. DC has hasnt usually given the emplyees green slips on SRT versions for a year or so untill the inital demand is met.  
Here is a link for a VERY up to date and thurough mopar site.
http://www.allpar.com/cars/dodge/challenger.html
Make no mistake this will be a mustang muncher and there wont be a car short of a Viper in the US that will be close to it. Im getting hard just thinking of it.
I just love the interior and the way the seats have the same ribbed look but have the seat belt intigrated nicly. From the looks of the steering wheel I hope they can put an airbag in a center hub that small, it makes it look cool. I pray they dont do something stupid like try to add a big GPS screen, a shitload of buttons on the steering wheel and the rest. Keep it simple like car that is to be DRIVEN, not a barcolounger on wheels.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What's with those idiots at GM, anyway?   They ask us what we want in a car, we scream "REAR WHEEL DRIVE!", and they IGNORE that and give us something we don't want.    And what we do get,  isn't
reliable,  squeaks and rattles like crazy,  and looks like it was designed by a committee of people
who've never designed anything before.

And yes, that concept car does look too Mustang-ish.   Not bad overall,  but let's have  little less
Mustang in there and a little more Camaro.

I think they really should have pursued a more roots type design.  Take the '69 Camaro body style
and freshen it in the details without actually changing the shape.  Modern lights and trim,  integral
bumpers,  modernize the trim line treatment,  and so on, but keep the original body style pretty
much intact.    And keep the drivetrain simple, RWD,  and strong.   You'd have a winner.

CJ

and jack the price up to $60K so I can't justify buying it in the least...

They will always find a way to screw it up, no matter what
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't know it looks okay, but to me they are following the design cues of the Mustang. Ford went with a little bit of retro in the tail lights and the recessed grill with the new stang, so I guess Chevy is following.......It will sell if it is priced right and we are looking at the 2006 Camaro.....if it is slated for 09 they are in trouble as it will be too late. Most auto manufacturers are working with a design to production time frame of MONTHS, not YEARS..........
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#27]
How about one that runs like a 68 big block but gets 60mpg so we don't have to support the sand "people"
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I like
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
what in the fuck are they thinking?

They cant'. That's why their going broke.

Ford scored a homerun with the retro-Mustang.

Dodge is going to sell the crap out of the new Challenger.

And Chevy is going to wonder why the new Camaro isn't saving their bacon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
How about one that runs like a 68 big block but gets 60mpg so we don't have to support the sand "people"

You figure out that and you can have Bill Gates for your gardener.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

+70

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yep... Challenger is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!   Makes me want to buy an American car again.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Not diggin the grill.

Its got a little '69 Camaro in that grill..
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
YUK.

So far the only retro car I'd buy is the new Mustang.

I'd buy this though if it really comes out.

automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_01_445.jpg
automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_02_445.jpg
automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_03_445.jpg
automobilemag.com/photo_gallery/0602_dodge_challenger_04_445.jpg

If THAT comes to fruition, I will go against my sworn allegiance to Ricegrinders and purchase one.

Holeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sheeeeeyit!

Pass the Tylenol!

SG
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#35]
im saving my money for the SRT challenger or the 2007 mustang cobra(shelby gt500)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag for the Challenger
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#37]
IBTMTC&B
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm all about a front wheel drive version for the base model... something entry level like the stock mustang.  But when you buy the hi-po camaro, say the SS or RS models, then they should turn that front drive into all wheel drive, ala the WRX.  Expensive perhaps, but a 400+ HP camaro with AWD would eat anything in it's price range.

It'll never happen, I know, but one can dream...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I hope they make a Firebird version of it, by 2009 the Mullet should be making a strong comeback....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Who started this FWD 4cyl crap?  It's going to be RWD 100% for sure.  The concept supposedly has a 6.0 liter 400hp LS2 in it with a T56 6spd tranny, which makes sense seeing as GM is sticking the LS2 in everything (SSR, GTO, base Vette).  It's an awesome setup, putting down 340-350 rear wheel hp dead factory stock while getting 18ish mpg city, around 26-28 highway is flat out awesome.  All without displacement on demand yet, significant room for improvement IMO.  

However they're likely to have thier 6.2l or so by the time this reaches production, the 6.0l LS2 is on it's way out as I understand it.  Note the HEMIs, especially the 6.1l that would compete w/ the LS2, are getting significantly worse mileage BTW, like 15-16 mpg city, 20 highway IIRC...

Anyway, I think it looks flat out badass.  The Challenger just looks a little too old, they went overboard with "retro" and ended up with a freakin remake (yet they managed to screw up the rearend somehow...).  I think the Camaro concept looks a heck of alot more modern, while still looking like a Camaro.  

The Challenger also weighs over 4100 lbs, and is pretty massive.  No firm details on the Camaro's weight yet but it shrunk 9 or 10 inches in overall length from the previous generation Camaro (which was already smaller than the Challenger concept), yet the wheelbase actually went up around 9 or so inches too (ie the wheels are pushed out more to the corners, less overhangs) if what I've read is correct.  So it should be a decent bit lighter than the Challenger, hopefully it's lighter than the current GTO but I'm just figuring it will be close to the same as the Goat.  Anyway, this Camaro if it comes out w/ 400+ hp at 3500ish lbs, it will absolutely DROPKICK the 4100 lbs Challenger...

It's pretty freakin hot IMO.  I will have one, no ifs, ands, or buts about it...

I'm not seeing this "Chevy Mustang" crap either looking at them back to back, especially when you look at pics that better show the rear end/quarter area, the Camaro shares wayyyy more with the Vette in the rear/quarter area design than any Stang:

Camaro:

Mustang:

Honestly if you confuse the two you're probably a ditzy chic and I can't say I value your opinion on cars too much...

This sucker is a hot looking car...

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Holy Shit!  I WILL buy a Challenger, especially if the performance will be better than the Charger.  That's the only car I've seen in years that actually excited me.  

I'll post pics on Arfcom when I get the fucker.  

I'd almost sell my plane for that fucker, if I still had it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Don't know much about the drivetrain...but here are the pics.

www.roadandtrack.com/assets/image/2006/Q1/162006144750.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Loggins/CamaroMontage2.jpg

Now all they need is a Pontiac version with a chrome beak and a black vynil roof
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Now all they need is a Pontiac version with a chrome beak and a black vynil roof

Don't forget the big chicken on the hood!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#44]
The Chally is on my list,I don't believe they will actually build that camaro.
Last I heard, budget cutting killed GM's plan for a midsize, midprice RWD Chassis.  The Caddy sigma platform costs too much to build the camaro upon and the SSR is off the trailblazer chassis.  The next gen GTO will be another Holden from Australia and the Chevelle concept is dead.
That's just what I've heard, anyway, where did those pics come from, I've seen  plenty of next camaro pics but not those..

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Here's a video with some great views of this car (short intro on previous generations).  Mentions the 6.0l and T56 as well:
homepage.mac.com/bond2/camaro/camaroconcept.wmv

Quoted:
The Chally is on my list,I don't believe they will actually build that camaro.
Last I heard, budget cutting killed GM's plan for a midsize, midprice RWD Chassis.  The Caddy sigma platform costs too much to build the camaro upon and the SSR is off the trailblazer chassis.  The next gen GTO will be another Holden from Australia and the Chevelle concept is dead.
That's just what I've heard, anyway, where did those pics come from, I've seen  plenty of next camaro pics but not those..

These are from a leaked Road and Track web article (uploaded to their site in preperation for Monday, but not linked to anywhere on their site, apparently discovered by some webspider search engine stuff or something, they have since removed the page...) about the new Camaro Concept that is being unvieled Monday morning at the North American International Autoshow in Detriot (GM is hosting a live simultaneous webbroadcast as well, starts at 10:30 am).  There is talk that this particular red one may be a rolling chassis only, to be shown simultaneously at the LA auto show.  Rumor has it the Detriot one has racing stripes or is a different color, and it is a fully driveable car...  Either way, this is the body style/design of the big concept...  It's GM's biggest vehicle at the show, and unless something changes drastically GM is very serious about building it.  Some of the news about future chassis that was going around a few months ago is incorrect, however the exact chassis this will be using is up in the air (still supposedly be on the Zeta, which was previously rumored to not be coming to NA)...

Exactly when they'd offer the car for sale is up in the air, most people are saying 2008 as a 09 model year.  A few have dropped some hints that perhaps GM is closer to production than anyone thinks.  I'm hoping for an announcement at the unvieling that it will be produced much sooner in 07 as a 08 model, we'll see...

No Firebird coming back anytime soon BTW...

Some photoshopped in other colors:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Oh, and about the Challenger size, this is the measurements I'm seeing:

Camaro:
110.5" Wheelbase
186.2" Length
???  weight

Challenger:
116.5" Wheelbase
197.8" Length
~4100 lbs weight

This image was done up by a user on camaroz28.com's 5thgen Forum to try to show the size differences, the wheelbases are at least proportional, that Challenger sure looks tall though), not sure how accurate it is but it's a rough idea:

I like the Challenger but that thing is going to be a massive beast.  I guess that stays true to the musclecar roots vs the pony car that the Camaro and Mustang are.  It's going to be their defacto pony car fighter though...  Good thing they've been underrating that 425hp 6.1l Hemi by a bit...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:11:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Here's my problem with GM, I get an employee discount at Ford because Delta buys so many Fords.  I had a rough idea what a new Mustang would have cost me OTD at the Ford dealership, however I gave GM a chance.

At the Chevy dealership:
Salesman: How can I help you today?

Me: I'm looking for a new Camaro, V6, 5 speed, no options.

Salesman:  I don't have anything you can test drive to that spec, however I do have a premium V6 manual you can test drive.

-test drive the Camaro-

Me: It was nice, but can you get what I asked for?

Salesman:  I'd have to order it and it would be 6 weeks.

Me: No problem, how much are we looking at.

Salesman: Between 21k and 23k.

Me: The Mustang is $18,500 OTD, can you do anything for the price?

Salesman: Nope sorry.

Me: See ya, you wasted my time.

I went accross the street to the Ford dealership, and drove off with a new Mustang just how I wanted it on the SAME DAY for $14,400 with my discount.

That's my problem with GM, and I'll gladly purchase another Mustang!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:12:51 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Not diggin the grill.

Exactly what I thought.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
If I know GM it will be front drive four banger with optional turbo next year. And those big meats will be 13" with 14" option.
They will screw it up like everything else they design.

As a die-hard GM fan, I have to agree that your probably right
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:29:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow.  The Challenger is definitely kick ass.  Best one out of all the current "muscle cars" out there.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top