Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/31/2005 8:41:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 8:42:47 AM EDT by tReznr]
I have a 99 Ford Ranger (4cyl 2wd) with a manual transmission. For years I was able to get by with running regular unleaded in it with no issues. Over the last year or two I haven't been able to do it without problems. If I run regular gasoline in it my engine makes a noise that sounds like ping-pong balls bouncing on a sheet of aluminum when I'm doing around 55-60 in fifth gear. My little four banger doesn't have a lot of juice to it, and that speed is just a little high for fourth gear and a little low for fifth gear. The problem is MUCH more noticeable if there is any kind of an incline (if I'm going up a really steep hill/mountain pass I basically have to slow down into third or fourth gear to keep the truck from making the noise).

I presume that is what is known as "pinging". If I run higher octane gas it is far less noticeable (but still there). I'm coming up on 100K miles on the truck. I recently changed the spark plugs and set them to the proper gap but that didn't really help the problem. So, any ideas what I can do fix the problem? I'd like to be able to run regular unleaded again...

I'm guessing it may have something to do with the oxygen sensor, but I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about and it's just a wild guess on my part (I don't know all that much about cars). Anything else I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:32:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2005 1:34:10 PM EDT by die-tryin]
Could be timing or timeing belt, could be the gas, could be the valvetrain, ya may have busted a valve spring.

I would put some Octane boost in there and give it a tune up (plugs , wires, dist. cap and rotor, oil, filter, pvc filter, air filter, carb cleaner, etc)

I see ya changed the plugs already. being 99 im not sure if its O2, usually youll get a check engine light or a code if that was the case.

Not make ya sound like a dummy, but ya got the plug wires on correctly?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:06:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By die-tryin:
Not make ya sound like a dummy, but ya got the plug wires on correctly?

Yup. The truck was making the noise before I changed the plugs/wires. I was hoping that would fix things but it didn't really seem to help at all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:24:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:19:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Striker:
www.berrysweb.com/clean_your_maf.htm

Goddamn I love Arfcom. Thanks for the link, I'll give that a try.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:30:40 AM EDT
i'd say the timing needs to be checked.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:34:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2006 7:36:13 PM EDT by Gary_P]
carbon deposits on the intake valves.
partially blocked/dirty injectors.
incorrect valve timing.
weak timing belt.
a multitude of electronic failures.

Gary
Top Top