Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 8:02:50 AM EDT
I have a 1963 VW Kamann Ghia that I plan on restoring, and I've read that dipping the body will remove all the paint and bondo on it.  OK, cool.  But how much would I expect to pay for something like that, including priming it immediately afterwards?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:45:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
price is usually on par with media blasting. I really dont recomend dipping in most cases. because it strips everything from everywhere. all protection is lost on areas that be sprayed. what you save in time by dipping is more than made up in finishing. and finding places to get it dipped can also be difficult
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Every vehicle I've seen that was dipped ended up having the paint bubble eventually. They say they can't get the chemicals out of all the hard to reach places.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool, thanks all.  Once we get moved out to VA I'll start shopping around.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I dunno the answer to your query but I dig those Ghias. This one belongs to a guy I know. He did all the engine compartment work himself. Pretty nifty, if you ask me.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd rather fight with left overs from sand blasting then to deal with chemicals. Many people think it's ready for primer from the dipping, but in most cases it isn't a bad idea to do a very thorough job of washing and wiping it down with lacquer thinner.

I don't know the current prices, but if they quoted me over $2k for a stripped shell, I'd laugh at them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top