Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2005 9:42:00 PM EDT
Hi, first post in this forum, thanks for looking.

I'm working on a Ford truck with a big block.  It has a new 2bbl carb.  It has been sitting for a couple months.

The truck won't idle.

It starts and runs at wide open throttle, but when you take your foot off the gas it dies.

I've found a couple of unused vacume ports that were open and closed them.

Thanks for any ideas or help.

PA
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:28:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Will it idle if you use the throttle?  If so, the idle set screw is not adjusted.  The screw holds the throttle open enough to idle correctly when your foot is off the gas.  

New carb huh?...  Try a can of carb cleaner yet?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep the carb looks like it has just come out of the box.  The truck looks like a late 1960s vintage.  The gas has set since about mid terms my best guess.  I figured it was a matter of screw twisting, just which screw and how much.  I'm going back to it tomorrow and I'll see what can be done.

The carb is a Motorcraft it looks like it has thermal choke and only 2 adjustment screws.  The throttle linkage may not be correctly installed yet.

Thanks
PA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top