Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 8:12:33 AM EDT
video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6559172522608022187&q=5th+gear

I love the NSX it has to be one of my Favorite japanese cars!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
In the end who really cares.
The NSX was never, well anything.

It wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the best looking, it wasn' the most affordable, it wasn't the most modable, it wasn't anything but an expensive mid-range sports car that no body ever wanted  it never held it's value as well as it should have.

It was kinda like the 300zx IMO.

In the end both cars were just well, there.

Now the supra and Rx-7 being cut awhile back, that was a sad day.

Those cars held their value WELL.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#2]
whats to take its place?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like the Skyline will be here soon...I'm already hearing rumors about the NSX getting a total redo and being rereleased
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looks like the Skyline will be here soon...I'm already hearing rumors about the NSX getting a total redo and being rereleased

Bigno... Voodoo has faster fingers then I do.  That Skyline is going to be sweeeeEEEeeeeet! and this coming from a WRX driver.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]
my uncle had one and I thought it was the coolest car in the world looked like a ferrari or some exotic race car, that was until he let me drive it, very dissapointing, especially after he let me drive his 65 vette with a 4 speed 4:11 gears and a nasty 327 V8.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the best looking, it wasn' the most affordable, it wasn't the most modable, it wasn't anything but an expensive mid-range sports car that never really feel under certain category.

Now the supra being cut awhile back, that was a sad day.

At the time it came out it was one of the best handling cars available...With Ayrton Senna taking part in the R&D the car screamed F1..It was amazing on the track even against more powerful cars...The rest of the world caught up to it.

Don't get me started on my beloved 300ZX
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Just like every other "exclusive" japan car that finds its way to america, I'm sure it will be nothing like the japen version and it turn not many people will care about it after the hype settles down.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the best looking, it wasn' the most affordable, it wasn't the most modable, it wasn't anything but an expensive mid-range sports car that never really feel under certain category.

Now the supra being cut awhile back, that was a sad day.

At the time it came out it was one of the best handling cars available...With Ayrton Senna taking part in the R&D the car screamed F1..It was amazing on the track even against more powerful cars...The rest of the world caught up to it.

Don't get me started on my beloved 300ZX

Umm ya Ok, I guess somebody got to like them.
Rather you then me.

Way to take one for the team so to speak.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Bashing cars is such a waste of time.  I happen to think american muscle cars are crap, but that's my personal preference, not an absolute truth.  My dad owns an NSX, we both think it's great fun to drive.

Many will miss the NSX, many will not, in the history of cars I think it will be remembered as technologically innovative and therefore important.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Umm ya Ok, I guess somebody got to like them.
Rather you then me.

Way to take one for the team so to speak.

Supra sales sucked too..That's why they got rid of it..don't get me wrong I'd take one if the price was right but the Z and the NSX weren't dogs by a long shot..would you really want to take a stock Supra against an NSX on a road course?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:18:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It wasn't the fastest, (It was the fastest Japanese sportscar in 1991) it wasn't the best looking (It was the best lookin Japanese sportscar in 1991) , it wasn' the most affordable (Why should it have been?) , it wasn't the most modable (it didn't need many mods, it was already a great car) , it wasn't anything but an expensive mid-range sports car that no body ever wanted  it never held it's value as well as it should have. (That is so wrong - A 1991 NSX will fetch a lot more $ compared to a 1991 300Z, comparatively speaking of course)

It was kinda like the 300zx IMO. LOL

In the end both cars were just well, there.

Now the supra (I had one of these in turbo, no comaprison whatsoever) and Rx-7 being cut awhile back, that was a sad day.

Those cars held their value WELL. (you must have very low standards in value)

No offense, but you don't seem to know much about that car.  I had the pleasure of driving one of those (1991 model) many times that belonged to a good friend.  He had the first one in South Florida delivered to his home on a semi and  I remembered the day they unloaded it next to his '87 Testarossa in his driveway.  What a sight.  2 weeks later he sold the Testarossa.  His reasoning was that it had all the performance of his Ferrari (that he needed) without all the maintenance issues and expense.  He just sold his NSX last year for $50K. I think he paid around 75K for it new 15 years ago.  I'd like to see you recover 2/3 of your original cost on a 15 year old Supra or RX7.  Maybe 5 years, but not 15.

ETA:  Personally, I wouldn't drop 75K on a Japanese car.  European sportscars are MUCH better for the money.  For 75K, I'd spring for a simple 911.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:30:59 AM EDT
[#12]
OK guys keep talking about the car when it first came out your really doing the car justice.

Face it, after the mid-90's it wasn't even on the sports car map, it's hype had faded away and since it didn't have the numbers to back up the hype, it didn't much cred.

The RX-7 and Supra's where the cars to have back in that day.

They were the most realistic cars to mod for drag or road/GT type races.

I miss those cars man.

I was too young when those cars ruled the streets, if they stuck around a bit longer I could afford one now.

Used supra's still go for 35K-40K with 50K-100K on the clock.

I will say the newer body style NSX's with the right body upgrades is one of the best looking sports cars I've ever seen.
Again, it just doesn't have the numbers for me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#13]

The NSX won at least two SCCA World Challenge Titles in the hand of Peter Cunningham in an NSX, how many titles did the Supra and RX-7 win?

Kelly Blue Book puts private party value for a fully loaded '94 Turbo with 50,000 miles at around $20K.

I will say the newer body style NSX's with the right body upgrades is one of the best looking sports cars I've ever seen.

Have you ever driven one?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Friend told me he drove one on a test track.

I asked him "so, I'll bet it was like driving a fast Accord"

He said "yes, boring as hell"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

big +1 on the Supras.  They ruled the 90's
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
OK guys keep talking about the car when it first came out your really doing the car justice.

Face it, after the mid-90's it wasn't even on the sports car map, it's hype had faded away and since it didn't have the numbers to back up the hype, it didn't much cred.

I miss those cars man.

I was too young when those cars ruled the streets, if they stuck around a bit longer I could afford one now.

OK.  I'll agree with you that today that car doesn't quite stack up like it used to, but I was going off your original post when you said that the NSX was NEVER anything.  In 1991, it was a revolutionary Japanese sports that the Supra and RX-7s of that year couldn't hold a match to.  Since then, the NSX never really evolved much so their Japanese competitors several years later caught up in quality and performance.  Someone mentioned the Skyline was going to be here soon?  I saw one at the dealer almost a year ago when my girlfriend was buying her GX35.

The reason for people modding their Supras and RX-7s was because they were much cheaper and much more affordable to modify (hence, you have cars like in the movie Too Fast Too Furious).  Plus, those cars have plenty of room for improvement.  People who can afford a $75K+ car are smart enough to know that modifying them is unnecesary (except for maybe cosmetic mods like rims and other appointments).  People who buy a $35K and dump $10-20K (or more) in mods are just idiots who should have bought a better car in the first place, or saved their money until they could afford one.  And once those cars have been modified, their longterm value goes down SIGNIFICANTLY b/c anoyne with half a brain knows how much wear and tear takes place on those engines.  The Supras and RX-7s that fetch good $ are the low mile ones that have been garage kept or owned by some old fart that didn't really beat up on it much, not some punk's souped up street racer with 80K miles of torture put into the engine and suspension.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Glad to see the NSX go away.  When my $32,000 Subaru STi w/$2,500 in mods can clean it's clock on EVERY account, that's just well, embarrassing.  Even stock my car is a lot faster.  A lot of modded STi's/EVO's clean up these things in the AutoX and I won't even go to the whole drag strip thing.

$93,000 for a 6-cylinder N/A Honda.  No thanks.  Revolutionary for it's time - 13-14 years ago.

Good bye old Honda and hello to the new standard.  The bar was raised a while ago.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#18]
i never really got into the nsx, either.  it's a nice car and all, but just not that interesting.

i mean, take a corvette, about half the price, about the same performance.

for the price of a nsx, you can have a stage II ligenfelter corvette with enough power to squish you into the back window in a package that can carve out the twisties.

but, there's so many cars out there for the money that are just more appealing.  porsche, mercedes, ferrari, even lotus make some nice, agile and very fast ~$100k cars, and always have.

i always hate to see a good car go out of production, which i'm sure the nsx is, but i won't lose any sleep over it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]
it was in either car and driver or road and track that there is already a concept for the new NSX. It was under Honda's name though, a mid engine V-10 at about 400 HP, with a pricetag of roughly $100K. It was a cool loking concept, but we shall see if they actually release it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#20]
When the NSX came out it was the state-of-the-art...for whatever reason Honda didn't keep improving on it should have so other car companies built faster cars years later..That's fine but don't compare your 2005 whatever against 15 year old technology that's stupid....BTW....there are already plans to bring back the NSX as a V-10 with AWD
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:58:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Bashing cars is such a waste of time.  I happen to think american muscle cars are crap, but that's my personal preference, not an absolute truth.  My dad owns an NSX, we both think it's great fun to drive.

Many will miss the NSX, many will not, in the history of cars I think it will be remembered as technologically innovative and therefore important.

What was so technically innovative about this car? Seriously, I don't know and would like to. I'm not trying to bash it or anything, I just want to know since I really don't know much about the car.

Kris
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
When my $32,000 Subaru STi w/$2,500 in mods

LOL You mean more like an $18,000 Subaru Impreza 2.5L with $16,500 in upgrades (or mods if that's what you want to call it).  I would hope that if you spend as much in upgrades/mods as you do in the car, it should be run well.  Then again, you could put a jet engine in an AMC Gremlin, but it's still a Gremlin... Just a really really fast Gremlin.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i mean, take a corvette, about half the price, twice the headaches, and about the same performance.

I love the Crovette too.  My buddy just got the Caddy version.  Sweet car.  Point I'm trying to make is that the nice thing about the NSX is that it had the reliability/dependability of a Honda/Acura.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What was so technically innovative about this car? Seriously, I don't know and would like to. I'm not trying to bash it or anything, I just want to know since I really don't know much about the car.

Kris

It was innovative when it first came out back in 1991.  It was years ahead of it's Japanese competitors in terms of speed, handling, & design.  It even blew away the stock Mustangs, Vettes, Camaros' etc. Nowadays is a different story.

I'm not sitting here saying what a great car it is today, as I'm saying that it was a great car when it was first introduced and now the competion's has finally caught up.  It's a good time for the old style NSX to bow out and make way for the new.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
whats to take its place?

I'd like to know as well!!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
whats to take its place?

From the mouth of Takeo Fukui, Honda President and CEO, July 20, 2005

"We are now focused on the development of a new model to succeed the NSX for a new era. We would like to debut a new super sports car equipped with a V10 engine in 3 to 4 years. Please look forward to seeing the NSX successor. "

world.honda.com/news/2005/c050720_a.html
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kris

First all aluminum supercar, First with variable valve timing, first with variable valve induction..It tipped the scales at 3000 when similar shaped cars weighed 200-400lbs more..and as I said earlier it was designed with the help of Honda's F1 team and F1 god Ayrton Senna personally oversaw the handling
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
whats to take its place?

The Civic?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#29]
The NSX was a very-very thoroughly engineered car.  The parts worked well and in harmony such that it would beat more powerful cars on a race track.  Some people--a lot of people apparently--get a kick out of that.  Some people enjoy spending thousands on making a 3-liter spank a 5-liter.  More power to them...literally.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL You mean more like an $18,000 Subaru Impreza 2.5L with $16,500 in upgrades (or mods if that's what you want to call it).  I would hope that if you spend as much in upgrades/mods as you do in the car, it should be run well.  Then again, you could put a jet engine in an AMC Gremlin, but it's still a Gremlin... Just a really really fast Gremlin.

Eh?  Are you bashing the STi?  A stock car that can compete with another stock car worth $60,000 more?    STi only shares some sheet metal with the 2.5L econo Impreza.

224 ft. lbs. of torque for $93,000.  No friggin' wonder it's gone.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh?  Are you bashing the STi?  A stock car that can compete with another stock car worth $60,000 more?    STi only shares some sheet metal with the 2.5L econo Impreza.

224 ft. lbs. of torque for $93,000.  No friggin' wonder it's gone.

Brahmzy,
I almost bit on this jokers comments...  But then I realized he has probably never even been close to a WRX or STi let alone driven one.  To compare a STi or WRX to an econo Impreza is silly... to compare it with a Gremlin is down right idiotic and only diplays his ingorance on such matters.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#33]
DG,

It's nice to know there are some folks on this board who know more than just guns.  

The NSX was unique and a very necessary catalyst to get us to where we are today...but it is time to say goodbye.  I just hope Honda does not botch the new NSX.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top