BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Vette.

I can't stand the GTO (farking overgrown cavalier) and I don't really like the way the mustang looks.

I like the GTO for that reason.  Looks like a cavalier but you have 400 hp in about the same size.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vette.

I can't stand the GTO (farking overgrown cavalier) and I don't really like the way the mustang looks.

I like the GTO for that reason.  Looks like a cavalier but you have 400 hp in about the same size.

Although it may look somewhat like a Cavalier, it's built on a completely different chassis and is much larger and heavier.

Compare the dimensions and capacities.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vette.

Although it may look somewhat like a Cavalier, it's built on a completely different chassis and is much larger and heavier.

the GTO(Monaro) uses a very good RWD chassis(with a IRS)  that can haul 4 people
yet it has the benefit of the 400hp C6 powertrain, all for $28-32k , seems like a bargain IMHO
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vette.

the GTO(Monaro) uses a very good RWD chassis(with a IRS)  that can haul 4 people
yet it has the benefit of the 400hp C6 powertrain, all for $28-32k , seems like a bargain IMHO

From a functional standpoint it's hard to argue with.  The styling, in particular the front fascia, is a bit hard on the eyes, IMO.  The suspension's a bit soft for my tastes as well.  More of a grand tourismo setup than a corner carver.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
From a functional standpoint it's hard to argue with.  The styling, in particular the front fascia, is a bit hard on the eyes, IMO.  The suspension's a bit soft for my tastes as well.  More of a grand tourismo setup than a corner carver.

For most people who are honest with themselves that's a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]
The best thing about the Pontiac GTO, IMO, is that it's not a Pontiac, and is only a GM by marriage.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point is that I hear people, ESPECIALLY corvette owners, go on and on about handling etc. yet are never ever going to even remotely approach the potential of the car.

Not unlike all the guys on this site that constantly argue tactics, lethality of weapons/platforms, tactical gear, etc. when in fact they are not doing anything more than shooting at a static range.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:41:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The point is that I hear people, ESPECIALLY corvette owners, go on and on about handling etc. yet are never ever going to even remotely approach the potential of the car.

Not unlike all the guys on this site that constantly argue tactics, lethality of weapons/platforms, tactical gear, etc. when in fact they are not doing anything more than shooting at a static range.

I see what you mean but, in this case, you will feel the difference in spring and damper rates EVERY time you turn the wheel above parking lot speeds.  No at-the-limit hot-shot stuff required.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:03:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are only a few of use who will drive 9/10ths or faster on the street....
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The point is that I hear people, ESPECIALLY corvette owners, go on and on about handling etc. yet are never ever going to even remotely approach the potential of the car..

As a owner of multiple Corvettes in my life, I can say that you are correct.

In truth, my wife's Miata was probably more fun because you could drive it to the edge on an on ramp.   The limits on a modern Corvette are SO high, you are almost always well under that threshold.  The Miata you could wind out through the gears.  The Corvette, well, within a couple seconds at very little throttle you are already going way too fast.....

However, that doesn't mean it's not nice to have.   The Corvette simply feels & drives way better than Camaros, Trans Ams, or Mustangs.   Had'em all.   It doesn't have the compromises those cars have.

You certainly do benefit from the independant suspension, even at reasonable speeds on normal roads.  Not having the ass end hop when you hit a bump in the corner is nice.

Also, the electronics on the Corvettes are incredible.  You can nail it full throttle on a 90 degree corner, and the car will just put down the max power and blast away, even if you hit slick crap in the corner.   It's something to be experienced.   Thank gawd there's an OFF button though  

Can you actually use the better handling of the Corvette?    Ask the Mustang I just put the hurt on on a windy, twisty mountain road - that he LIVED on!   I didn't even know the corners like he did.

Sometimes, having that reserve capability is very nice.

Buy what TURNS YOU on.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vette.

that's a fair assessment, the Pontiac nose leaves a lot to be desired, new shocks & springs are an easy swap(except for $$$) , don't get me wrong I think a used C5 would be a great value & the C6 raised the bar even more, I drool over the new Z06, awesome car, it can out perform many costlier exotics  
BUT the GTO  isn't really a Vette, it's a relatively practical 4seat coupe with a great engine stuffed under the hood for a reasonable price(kind of like the original GTO), not many cars would out perform it & those that would cost a helluva lot more to own

I wouldn't mind having a Z06 & GTO in my garage !  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you'd be surprised how many Vette owners go to SCCA events or belong to clubs that spend weekends at a local track (road course)
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In truth, my wife's Miata was probably more fun

Car I had the most fun driving, ever, was my ex-girlfriend's Miata.  Gay as hell but DAMN fun to drive.

The Corvette... ...doesn't have the compromises those cars have.

But you have to admit that it compromises in alot of other departments.  One of my drinking buddies has owned nothing for Corvettes his whole life, but when he recently got his Acura TL he has now sworn off 'Vettes forever due to the harsher ride of the sporty suspension.

Can you actually use the better handling of the Corvette?    Ask the Mustang I just put the hurt on on a windy, twisty mountain road - that he LIVED on!   I didn't even know the corners like he did.

Fortunately for me, there are no mountain roads in Florida, and no twisty roads in the part I live in!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

But you have to admit that it compromises in alot of other departments.  

Truthfully, as intoxicating as the power & handling is, you can't really use much of it very often.

I'm happier with an SUV.   I don't have to worry about curbs & bumps, bottoming the air dam, etc...

I can haul a lot of crap.  I can park in the dirt field, I can camp with it..... etc...

At age 40, I guess I'm having a reverse mid-life crisis where I don't want the hassle of a sports car anymore.  

Maybe a LS2 405 hp Chevrolet Trailblazer SS would be the best of both worlds.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Corvette.
They are in a WHOLE other league compared to a GTO

Yeah, in the case of the choices the original poster gave us, the 'vette is in the slower league.

PLEASE!!   The 350 hp base Corvette would STOMP a 300hp Mustang GT.   It's lighter, and more powerful.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Corvette.
They are in a WHOLE other league compared to a GTO

Yeah, in the case of the choices the original poster gave us, the 'vette is in the slower league.

PLEASE!!   The 350 hp base Corvette would STOMP a 300hp Mustang GT.   It's lighter, and more powerful.

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But you have to admit that it compromises in alot of other departments.  

Truthfully, as intoxicating as the power & handling is, you can't really use much of it very often.

I'm happier with an SUV.   I don't have to worry about curbs & bumps, bottoming the air dam, etc...

I can haul a lot of crap.  I can park in the dirt field, I can camp with it..... etc...

At age 40, I guess I'm having a reverse mid-life crisis where I don't want the hassle of a sports car anymore.  

Edmunds had very good things to say about that vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that "truck" is going to be a real kick in the ass.  Unfortunately the price is too.

I'm still torn.  I'd love to get a GMC Typhoon and de-badge it.  Putting 2005 technology to work for you in a 1993 vehicle should result in a nice boost in performance for very little money.  It'd be great fun to sneak up on a C5 or M3 and give them a run for their money..... in a grocery getter!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that "truck" is going to be a real kick in the ass.  Unfortunately the price is too.

I'm still torn.  I'd love to get a GMC Typhoon and de-badge it.  Putting 2005 technology to work for you in a 1993 vehicle should result in a nice boost in performance for very little money.  It'd be great fun to sneak up on a C5 or M3 and give them a run for their money..... in a grocery getter!

As a boat owner, my favorite part about the Trailblazer SS is its 6,700 lb tow rating.  No other performance truck/SUV in the past has been able to maintain the tow capability of its standard brethren.

With LS2 power, GREAT handling for an SUV, plus all the usefulness normally found in a Trailblazer, it's a good, practical value.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As a boat owner, my favorite part about the Trailblazer SS is its 6,700 lb tow rating.  

Good point, the Lightning only did 5000 lbs.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Since Chevy lets you apply the SS package to either the base LS or uplevel LT trim, and either 2WD or 4WD, the cost can be managed if you're not looking for a luxo-type ride.

For example, I built one on Edmunds that was a 2WD LS/SS.  The TMV price was ~$27,500.

Not too bad, really.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Since Chevy lets you apply the SS package to either the base LS or uplevel LT trim, and either 2WD or 4WD, the cost can be managed if you're not looking for a luxo-type ride.

For example, I built one on Edmunds that was a 2WD LS/SS.  The TMV price was ~$27,500.

Not too bad, really.

Interesting.  The best I could do on the Chevy website was $33k.  In fact the Chevy website lists it as a $33,600 minimum.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Corvette.
They are in a WHOLE other league compared to a GTO or a Stang.

secure.hop.com/images/navigation/logo.gif

At least quote the WHOLE thing.    "they" refers to Corvettes
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:16:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Corvette.
They are in a WHOLE other league compared to a GTO or a Stang.

secure.hop.com/images/navigation/logo.gif

At least quote the WHOLE thing.    "they" refers to Corvettes

Ok, have it your way.

A $45k Mustang would romp all over a Corvette.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

and a $45k Pinto would smoke that Mustang.

So what?    
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what?    

so what is that the 'Vette had BETTER win over the Mustang.  As you're so fond of pointing out, the 'Vette appears to be a $50k car.  If a $50k car can't beat a $25k car then something is wrong.  Or, you could buy the GTO for <$30k and romp on both of them.  THAT was the point of my original post, but you were obviously too busy taking offense to actually grasp it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

THAT was the point of my original post, but you were obviously too busy taking offense to actually grasp it.

I'm not offended, this isn't GD.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I would either buy a GTO or get a Mustang GT and add a supercharger. There is definitely something

to be said for a more low profile car so the GTO is my choice. Points to Pontiac for 2 cars in a few

years that I might actually consider buying (Solstice and GTO).

Quoted:
Don't get the Mustang.  You'll kick yourself two years from now when you pull up to a stoplight next to two other Convertable V6 Mustangs exactly like yours but a different color, both with a highschool chick behind the wheel.

The Mustang convertable is the girliest car ever made next to a Mazda Miata, Mitsubishi Eclipse or Honda Civic Del Sol.  That's fact... no disputing.

One of my classmates in ghischool got a Corvette for her first car...and promptly wrecked it. Rich

parents with no brains get on my nerves. As to your comment - buy a GT coupe if going w/ ze stang.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Given your choices, I'd say the Mustang .

Why
-Don't buy a used American Auto, ever
-The fit and finish on either the Mustang & comparison  not up to par with foreign auto makers         but  I'd give the nod to the comparrison, slightly.
-The GTO is ugly when compared to the Stang, personal preference yes, but 90% would agree with me.

For $35k I'd get an Acura TL,  fit & finish beyond comparison with those two, style is more sophisticated in my opinion. Admittedly not as fast, but pretty quick for daily driving.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
-The GTO is ugly when compared to the Stang, personal preference yes, but 90% would agree with me.

If you're driving a Mustang, and I'm driving a GTO, the only part you need to worry about seeing is the tail lights.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Given your choices, I'd say the Mustang .

Why
-Don't buy a used American Auto, ever
-The fit and finish on either the Mustang & comparison  not up to par with foreign auto makers         but  I'd give the nod to the comparrison, slightly.

For $35k I'd get an Acura TL,  fit & finish beyond comparison with those two, style is more sophisticated in my opinion. Admittedly not as fast, but pretty quick for daily driving.

TL is a very refined & high quality car, but it's FWD & has a V-6 with  233ft-lbs

comparing it to RWD cars with high torque V-8's is apples & oranges, different category
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't be afraid of a used Vette.  It is easy to find low mileage vettes all day long, and they are very reliable.  Sure little gizmos can break,  but I don't know many people that have had problems.  The biggest issue with my 2002 Z06 is the leather on the drivers seat is having some problems.  Not that expensive to fix, so it isn't a big deal.

The Vette and Mustang are in different leagues.  I like them both, and am in a Vette club and a Mustang club.  I would say if it will be your only car, get the Mustang.  The 2005/2006 Mustangs are great cars, drive well, and look great.  The Vette is more dynamic, and fun at the limit, but as a lot of people say, how often to you get there?

I am hoping my next sports car will be the Shelby GT500.  Of course, I plan on keeping the Z06 :D  There are advantages to being single.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what?    

so what is that the 'Vette had BETTER win over the Mustang.  As you're so fond of pointing out, the 'Vette appears to be a $50k car.  If a $50k car can't beat a $25k car then something is wrong.  Or, you could buy the GTO for <$30k and romp on both of them.  THAT was the point of my original post, but you were obviously too busy taking offense to actually grasp it.

Price has nothing to do with it. A 68K Z06 Vette wil destroy anything up to twice the price. Ford GT is a tick faster and you can't find them new for under 150K. New Viper is .5 slower in the 1/4 and also 0-60. Ferrari or Porsche? No match unless you spend in excess of 200K.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#37]
If you want a new car, and one that can carry 4 people pretty comfortably with a nice ride, then I say GTO.  Of course, I'm a little biased:

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/7130/gto17zd.jpg

Make sure you at least sit in one before you make your decision.  As for the looks, I don't really understand all of the complaints about it being ugly.  Understated, maybe, but ugly??  This may be blasphemy to some people here, but I think it looks better than the last generation Camaro.

If you want all out performance though, then used Z06, without a doubt.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

YawnO

A fast, fancy Accord.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YawnO

A fast, fancy Accord.  

+1.

I happen to like the GTO very much.  It's a lot more upmarket, it seems, but then again when you've got 400hp under your right foot that only cost $33K, than why would you care about it being "upmarket?"
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#40]
'Stang.  With that much to spend, you could get the  Saleen Supercharger, too!

Honestly, I love this car.  Very comfy and some power ta 'boot.

If you really want something nice, you could have an awesome one of these for $20K and you build it yourself!  (This is my future retirement project).  With the extra $15K you could really make it GO!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Can you wait a year ?????????

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

www.jalopnik.com/cars/images/dodge_challenger_concept_new.jpg
www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/dec21chal_1.jpg

I expect that version will be alot more, and might look godawful by the time its in showrooms
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:55:37 PM EDT
[#43]
I voted with my wallet over the xmas weekend.  Any of you 'stang pogues wanna take a run come on down to sunny FL.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Yeah, and I'm sure it'll look just like that when it hits showrooms.

This is what the Charger concept looked like

This is what they gave us
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

members.shaw.ca/sliderr/autoshow/charger.jpg

www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/60129_speed.charger.jpg

and the Mopar should weigh at least 400lbs more
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#46]
35k... Beat an 06 vette in a new Mustang??

I think not...

The new 'stang (stock) would struggle to keep up with an 02 F-body, much less an 06 Vette.....

And IIRC, 'new' Mustang GTs are around what? 31-34k?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

members.shaw.ca/sliderr/autoshow/charger.jpg

www.speedtv.com/_assets/library/img/large/60129_speed.charger.jpg

UGH...

That 'concept' is actually decent looking... But the product? YE-UCK it looks like an 02 'stang, or the 'new' GTO... Blah... At least it doesn't have a huge CHROME grille & look like it got timewarped from 1930 or 1969....

Every 'new' car that is released either looks like (a) a 4-door on steroids (GTO, pre-05 Mustang), or (b) an obselete piece of 40s-60s shit (new Mustang, new Camaro, Mopar chrome-crap)...

Why, oh why, can't we get a car marketed to folks under 40, made in the USA?  Have GM & co assumed that everyone born after 1980 is a fart-can mounting, stereo-terrorist riceburner?

Of course, I think the pinnacle of under 35k car design was the 02 Formula Firebird (WS6)...

Unfortunately, the last good looking cars made in the USA are the Vette & Viper - way too much $$$ for a car...

My name is Dave_A, I was born in 1980, and I miss affordable cars that actually look like 'aerodynamics' was discussed at SOME TIME in the design process (late 3rd/4th gen Firebird, Mitsu 300GT/Dodge Stealth, etc)....

RETRO SUCKS!

'Perfection' in car styling:

But they'll fuck it up if they bring it back... The new GTO is allready getting in the way - Chevy will bring back the camaro without it's 'better half'....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:36:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#49]
The new Charger looks like they took the front end of a Magnum and the rear end of a Stratus and screwed them together.  I call it the Dodge Magnus.

DC well and truly stepped on their peckers with that design.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
35k... Beat an 06 vette in a new Mustang??

I think not...

The new 'stang (stock) would struggle to keep up with an 02 F-body, much less an 06 Vette.....

And IIRC, 'new' Mustang GTs are around what? 31-34k?

Eh?

Try $25,860 base MSRP including freight.

And what's this about a $35k '06 'Vette?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top