Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/4/2005 8:11:49 PM EDT
A guy at work I go wheeling with occassionally bought a 2005 Nissan Frontier 4x4. It's a cute little truck I guess.
After he slammed the factory skid plate in the front a couple times, he realized that he might need to lift it up some to get some bigger tires for more ground clearance. He was having a hell of a time bottoming out on ant hills.
It seriously needs a locker as well. He should of at least gotten the Nismo irreguardless of how gay the name is.
He cried like a bitch when I drove my stock 7000 lbs 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 short bed Cummins Turbo Diesel right up the hill he was having trouble with in 4 high, he was burrying it in low. It was maybe a 65 degree angle loose dirt/rock hill.
The Nissan hugs the tires that are on it, even though it is a 4x4. The ride is pretty good though. We just can't find an aftermarket kit to bump it up 4 - 6 inches. He's not looking for a cosmetic lift.
As many of these little trucks I see rolling around, no one seems to be making a kit. What's the deal?
-Steve
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 8:17:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By stevenb:
...my stock 7000 lbs 2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 short bed Cummins Turbo Diesel...

Nice truck.

coburn
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:28:08 PM EDT
Aparantly no one else knows either! WTF.

Thanks coburn, I like it! When I sell my house, I plan to dump about 20k into it to make it even more road worthy.
As it sits now:

The tires look tiny, but it is just the truck. They're 265 x 70 x 17r. Or, about 32" tall, 10.5" wide on 17" wheels.
The width is what really sucks due to the weight of the truck. I can easily get 37" x 13.5" Toyos with a few modifications, however I would really like to get something with a 15.5" width. Yet not trash the wheel bearings every 8000 miles.
My suspension of choice is the KORE Race kit.

Steve
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:01:08 PM EDT
i think the main reason is that because everything with the 05 frontier is new, it'll take a while to get stuff made for it.

my friend has the 05 Frontier Nismo and wants to jack it up to go offroading, thats his thing but some things are hard to find.

midsize trucks just dont do it for me, i went with the Titan
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 5:23:14 PM EDT

As it sits now:
www.citlink.net/~boehm/Dodge03.jpg

A thing of beauty.

coburn
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 1:30:18 AM EDT
Coming soon for the 05 frontier a 5'' lift.
www.purenissan.com/2005_frontier.htm

Link Posted: 11/6/2005 6:36:23 PM EDT
Nissan P/Us have never had much aftermarket support. I own a 95' Hardbody and the only company I know of that makes lifts for them is Calmini. You may want to check them out. I left mine stock.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 12:35:07 AM EDT
Try air locker for a locker as for lifts well they are not popular wheeling trucks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 8:48:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Nissan P/Us have never had much aftermarket support. I own a 95' Hardbody and the only company I know of that makes lifts for them is Calmini. You may want to check them out. I left mine stock.

+1

What he should've done was get a Tacoma instead.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 6:21:55 AM EDT
I can't even imagine thinking about a Nissan Frontier if off-road capability is one of the things you're looking for.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 12:05:38 PM EDT

Aparantly no one else knows either! WTF.

Thanks coburn, I like it! When I sell my house, I plan to dump about 20k into it to make it even more road worthy.
As it sits now:
www.citlink.net/~boehm/Dodge03.jpg

The tires look tiny, but it is just the truck. They're 265 x 70 x 17r. Or, about 32" tall, 10.5" wide on 17" wheels.
The width is what really sucks due to the weight of the truck. I can easily get 37" x 13.5" Toyos with a few modifications, however I would really like to get something with a 15.5" width. Yet not trash the wheel bearings every 8000 miles.
My suspension of choice is the KORE Race kit.
Steve

you can put 315/70/17 BFG's on the stock wheels, stock suspension
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 9:05:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/11/2005 9:05:33 AM EDT by fla556guy]
Here's an idea. Maybe he should ditch the nissan, and get something with some aftermarket, maybe a JEEP, or a nother domestic. Parts are generally cheaper and more widely avaliable, as well as mechanics that know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 3:44:36 PM EDT
It's brand new. The aftermarket needs time to make and release parts. They also need to see there is a market for the parts before they will start to manufacture anything. I also have a Titan. The Titan is in it's third model year now and the aftermarket is still pretty limited and quite expensive.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 89grand:
I can't even imagine thinking about a Nissan Frontier if off-road capability is one of the things you're looking for.

I got a freind with a Fronteir wish I knew more about it but all hes told me is that hes dumped way too much money into it.. he did a solid axel excahnge, lockers, lift im sure , and new tires, and dont forget the 9000 pound winch
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:40:06 PM EDT
I talked Mikey into dumping it. We were heading to the dealership and low and behold at 3500 miles it has a blown head gasket and is spraying oil all over the engine.

Sure, it is under warantee, but common. The thing is crap.
He dumped it and traded up to a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the CTD. Pushing him for the KORE Race kit, 37" x 13.5" Toyos and a few other goodies.

Fuck that Jap POS. He amazingly got 23000 back on it.
-Steve
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:31:54 PM EDT
A friend of mine has one too, and his supercharger keeps throwing a belt just about every oil change. Its got other problems too, and gets worse mileage in town with a load of tools than his 98 Yukon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:22:31 PM EDT

He dumped it and traded up to a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the CTD. Pushing him for the KORE Race kit, 37" x 13.5" Toyos and a few other goodies.

-Steve

I got a ride last week in the race truck that KORE ran in the 2004 Baja 1000. VERY impressive. No problem at all doing 60 or so on a two-track with whoops about a foot or so deep. Seemed like the faster you went, the smoother it rode. Going out tomorrow to finish the photo shoot (ran out of daylight after getting a late start last week) so will get some more time in it. What's really cool is being street-able--drive it out, play hard in the dirt and drive it back. Need the AC? No problem. Need tunes? Well, it's a little noisy with the full in-cab cage, but he's got it rigged so an MP3 player plugs right into the intercom system so we're good to go. Plus, he wants to break out the ARs afterwards and do a little blasting; he'll even supply the ammo! That's going to be a fun day of work.
Top Top