Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Any new updates? This weekend would be good to keep up the work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2022 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looking good.
View Quote

It really does look good.  It looks better than the 50 feet at 50 mph paint job we did on our race car that I posted on page 1 of this thread.

Good job OP.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:56:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You're getting all of that orange peel / filiform corrosion looking stuff because it's too fucking humid!
You need to be painting it in a temp controlled / humidity controlled paint booth.

The biggest bit of advice I can give you for rolling paint is roll it slow (you rolled it too fast) and roll it thin (it was a tad too thick).
You'll never get a roller paint job for large areas to look like a spray gun paint job.
They make foam rollers for painting poly paint.

It looks good for what it is.
Keep at it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, compared to what you had. I think that looks great.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Still in... the little car that could.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yes, and for under $100 in materials, I'm fairly happy with it
View Quote

For under $100 in materials, looks good to me.

Too bad you were not close to me. I got all the HVLP equipment and a booth. I've helped a few people in the local car meets get color on a car as long as they brought me materials and a sanded car ready to spray.

Link Posted: 10/5/2022 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Too bad you were not close to me. I got all the HVLP equipment and a booth. I've helped a few people in the local car meets get color on a car as long as they brought me materials and a sanded car ready to spray.

https://i.imgur.com/4R9ViWR.jpeg
View Quote
Hey friend, where abouts in tn?  
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay, I would have to paint a shark mouth on the side like WW2 nose art.  That color is begging for it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#18]
That looks pretty damn good for a beater
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#19]
OP delivered.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/4R9ViWR.jpeg
View Quote

Is that a Fiero GT?  Ain't seen one of those in a long time!
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wonder what it's got for power with those Hoosier tires.

My parents had a new 86 GT, fun to drive car.
It was there daily driver until it had over 200K, then gave to step brother.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Find me a decal that would work and I'll seriously consider it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay, I would have to paint a shark mouth on the side like WW2 nose art.  That color is begging for it.

more appropriate

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Nicely done!
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QKDF857?tag=arfcom00-20
Here ya go!  In different sizes too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OMG, now you've done it.

do you think it will adhere well to the orange peel texture of the paint?

My wife will not approve, which is further motivation.
View Quote
That's a question for a vinyl guy.  It would look bad ass though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
do you think it will adhere well to the orange peel texture of the paint?
View Quote

Unlikely.  Paint it on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 7:19:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Explain what you mean by "doesn't fit properly"

If its too long, what is stopping you from trimming the excess?

How are you planning to glue it down to the paint (even if it did "fit properly")?

Are you sure you are installing the LEFT-HAND / RIGHT-HAND pieces on the correct side of the car?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]

From just-now looking at youtube vid, it looks like the moulding is supposed to engage some sort of clip at each end.

Can you trim the moulding and move the clip-end of the moulding to wherever it needs to be?

Replacing Roof Drip Molding (2007 Toyota Yaris)
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:03:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@AR_Dale

It's got a 3800SC swap with a manual transmission, that at that point, had the supercharger gutted and plated off with a Precision 6266 hanging off the blower housing....

Damn thing was the absolute sketchiest shit I have ever rode in, but it was fun as hell.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 10:01:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/31/2022 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Do you want a consistent texture?

It’s never gonna look factory or pro.

A little CONTRAST in texture might be for the better.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I bought the sprayer today.  I've got tomorrow and Tuesday off, so my plan is to pull the bumper off and paint it in my backyard with the sprayer.

The guy in the video used a respirator.  do I need one, or will an N95 mask work okay?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this paint gun, it's listed at $40 and out of stock locally.  I think I remember seeing it for about $25 recently

https://www.harborfreight.com/painting/paint-sprayers/5-gph-electric-paint-spray-gun-63452.html

I bought the sprayer today.  I've got tomorrow and Tuesday off, so my plan is to pull the bumper off and paint it in my backyard with the sprayer.

The guy in the video used a respirator.  do I need one, or will an N95 mask work okay?

Use a respirator. It may suck for a bit, but VOCs (volatile organic chemicals) are no joke and if you can avoid them, do so.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 2:24:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you bother to read the Safety Data Sheet?
At a minimum I would get a respirator that can handle ISOCYANATES.
Isocyanates (it puts the super in superglue) can fuck you up.
I have known a couple of guys (Military aircraft painting) where only had exposure to Isocyanates in secondary vapors (curing) or from the overspray from painting operations.
You can get sensitized to that shit.
Be aware.

PAINT:
PPE:
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: A NIOSH/MSHA approved air purifying respirator with an organic vapor cartridge or
canister may be permissible under certain circumstances where airborne concentrations are expected to exceed
exposure limits. Protection provided by air purifying respirators is limited. Use a positive pressure air supplied
respirator if there is any potential for an uncontrolled release, exposure levels are not known, or any other
circumstances where air purifying respirators may not provide adequate protection. A respiratory protection program
that meets OSHA 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a
respirator's use.

CATALYST:
PPE:
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: A respirator that is recommended or approved for use in isocyanate-containing
environments (air-purifying or fresh air-supplied) may be necessary for spray applications or other situations such as
high temperature use which may produce inhalation exposures. A supplied-air respirator (either positive pressure or
continuous flow-type) is recommended. Before an air-purifying respirator can be used, air monitoring must be performed
to measure airborne concentrations. Specific conditions under which air-purifying respirators can be used are outlined in
the following sections. Observe OSHA regulations for respirator use (29 CFR 1910.134). SPRAY APPLICATION: A.
Good industrial hygiene practice dictates that when isocyanate-based coatings are spray applied, some form of
respiratory protection should be worn. During the spray application of coatings containing this product the use of a
supplied-air (either positive pressure or continuous flow-type) respirator is mandatory when ONE OR MORE of the
following conditions exists: -the airborne isocyanate concentrations are not known; or -the airborne isocyanate monomer
concentrations exceed 0.05 ppm averaged over eight (8) hours (10 times the 8 hour TWA exposure limit); or -the
airborne polyisocyanate (polymeric, oligomeric) concentrations exceed 5 mg/m3 averaged over 8 hours or 10 mg/m3
averaged over 15 minutes (10 times the 8 hour TWA or the 15 minute STEL exposure limits); or -operations are
performed in a confined space (See OSHA Confined Space Standard, 29 CFR 1910.146). A properly fitted air-purifying
(combination organic vapor and particulate) respirator, proven by test to be effective in isocyanate-containing spray
paint environments, and used in accordance with all recommendations made by the manufacturer, can be used when
ALL of the following conditions are met: -The airborne isocyanate monomer concentrations are known to be below 0.05
ppm averaged over eight (8) hours (10 times 8 hour TWA exposure limit); and -the airborne polyisocyanate (polymeric,
oligomeric) concentrations are known to be below 5 mg/m3 averaged over 8 hours or 10 mg/m3 averaged over 15
minutes (10 times the 8 hour TWA or the 15 minute STEL exposure limits) and - a NIOSH-certified End of Service Life
Indicator or a change schedule based upon objective information or data is used to ensure that cartridges are replaced
before the end of their service life. In addition, prefilters should be changed whenever breathing resistance increases
due to particulate buildup. NON-SPRAY OPERATIONS: A. During non spray operations such as mixing, batch-making,
brush or roller application, etc., at elevated temperatures (for example, heating of material or application to a hot
substrate), it is possible to be exposed to airborne isocyanate vapors. Therefore, when the coatings system will be
applied in a non-spray manner, a supplied-air (either positive pressure or continuous flow-type) respirator is mandatory
when ONE OR MORE of the following conditions exists: - the airborne isocyanate concentrations are not known; or - the
airborne isocyanate monomer concentrations exceed 0.05 ppm averaged over eight (8) hours (10 times the 8 hour TWA
exposure limit); or - the airborne polyisocyanate (polymeric, oligomeric) concentrations exceed 5 mg/m3 averaged over
8 hours or 10 mg/m3 averaged over 15 minutes (10 times the 8 hour TWA or the 15 minute STEL exposure limits); or -
operations are performed in a confined space (See OSHA Confined Space Standard, 29 CFR 1910.146). A properly
fitted air-purifying (combination organic vapor and particulate) respirator, proven by test to be effective in isocyanate
containing paint environments, and used in accordance with all recommendations made by the manufacturer, can be
used when ALL of the following conditions are met: -the airborne concentrations of the isocyanate monomer are below
0.05 ppm averaged over eight (8) hours (10 times the 8 hour TWA exposure limit); and - the airborne polyisocyanate
(polymeric, oligomeric) concentrations are known to be below 5 mg m3 averaged over eight (8) hours or 10 mg/m3
averaged over 15 minutes (10 times the 8 hour TWA or the 15 minute STEL exposure limits) and - a NIOSH-certified
End of Service Life Indicator or a change schedule based upon objective information or data is used to ensure that
cartridges are replaced before the end of their service life. In addition, prefilters should be changed whenever breathing
resistance increases due to particulate buildup.

REDUCER:
PPE:
RESPIRATORY PROTECTION: A NIOSH/MSHA approved air purifying respirator with an organic vapor cartridge or
canister may be permissible under certain circumstances where airborne concentrations are expected to exceed
exposure limits. Protection provided by air purifying respirators is limited. Use a positive pressure air supplied
respirator if there is any potential for an uncontrolled release, exposure levels are not known, or any other
circumstances where air purifying respirators may not provide adequate protection. A respiratory protection program
that meets OSHA 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a
respirator's use.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Woo!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top