Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:44:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#1]
I have tried those O ring seals. They suck ass. About half the thermostat housings I have come across have been warped from people making the bolts way too tight. The cheap aftermarket ones are even weaker than the factory aluminum. I think they only get like 15lb/ft of torque.

Keep it up

Sometimes headers dont fit exactly right on these old trucks. Dont be afraid to put a little dimple here and there if you need to clear something
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
I have tried those O ring seals. They suck ass. About half the thermostat housings I have come across have been warped from people making the bolts way too tight. The cheap aftermarket ones are even weaker than the factory aluminum. I think they only get like 15lb/ft of torque.

Keep it up

Sometimes headers dont fit exactly right on these old trucks. Dont be afraid to put a little dimple here and there if you need to clear something
View Quote
You're right about those housings and the headers.  I've bashed plenty of headers to fit.  

I put er up on ramps so I can work on it after work and not have to start it and wake the neighbors.

It's still lower than may daily up on ramps.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Do both tanks work?

I can honestly say I've never witnessed dual tanks on a half tom chevy.

I'm very envious of you
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:30:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice progress.  I've always liked the 73-87 Chevy trucks and travelled many of miles in the passenger seat of a 77.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:
Do both tanks work?

I'm very envious of you
View Quote

My mom had a 78 K10 with dual tanks and everything worked flawlessly. I've seen them on at least one other half ton but it's not common.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Good resource,

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Do both tanks work?

I'm very envious of you
View Quote
The prior owner said they both did.  

I'll be busting out the thermal under clothes tonight after work to put on the headers.  Brrrrr!

Thanks for all the encouragement folks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m falling in love with this truck, OP
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I just clocked out and it's 24 out, uh.

Gonna hit the house and swap into some thermals and get to work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:37:50 AM EDT
[#10]
First one is out, time to go in with the new

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:32:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaceboy] [#11]
The fit is terrific but it's going to have to have shorty plugs eventually.  Putting number five in was something else.  It had to tightened with a box wrench.

The flex fitting on my exhaust can't bend enough to hook it up so I'm going to have to source a couple of 45s to hook it up.  You can really tell how much these tuck more than the long tubes.

Say what you will about the Chinese but their kids can sure make nice headers.

These headers are actually made for a g body but looking at the pictures I had a very strong feeling these $100 headers would fit and they do very nicely.  They fit better than the long tubes made for this truck.

Since I was freezing already I decided to put on the Holley cable bracket that came today.  It fit perfect and the cables are spaced right.  I need to find a return spring I like.

I also found the water temp and oil pressure wires and hooked those up and also put a ground strap on the head that was hanging from the firewall.

So I have a question for y'all, what is this connector?

So that's where I am today, time for some dinner and warming up.  It's currently 21
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I need a feel good thread , Im in on this. I miss wrenching
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like the fit pretty well. I have 2nd or 3rd gen Camaro headers on my 77 C10 and I had to dimple a few places. I dont need shorty plugs but 6 out of 8 plugs have to be changes with a wrench. No biggy. You make it work
Some of those muscle cars are almost not worth putting headers on it looks like a nighmare

I'm not 100% on that plug. If it is above the distributor it might be for the factory oil pressure sending unit. Maybe something for the cruise control or the original carb. I'm not too familiar with 81-87s
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Wrenching in your driveway in 20* temps at 2:00 in the AM?!?!  That is dedication!!  We need to set up a GoFundMe to get OP a shop.  Cool project OP.  A buddy of mine had a similar setup back in high school with something like a 454 in it, 17 year old me sure thought it hauled ass.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice work OP.  I really like what you are doing.  I need to get started on some of my stuff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
The fit is terrific but it's going to have to have shorty plugs eventually.  Putting number five in was something else.  It had to tightened with a box wrench.

https://i.imgur.com/AadgXqe.jpg

The flex fitting on my exhaust can't bend enough to hook it up so I'm going to have to source a couple of 45s to hook it up.  You can really tell how much these tuck more than the long tubes.

https://i.imgur.com/gvYgRaQ.jpg

Say what you will about the Chinese but their kids can sure make nice headers.

https://i.imgur.com/gPoRUtX.jpg

These headers are actually made for a g body but looking at the pictures I had a very strong feeling these $100 headers would fit and they do very nicely.  They fit better than the long tubes made for this truck.

Since I was freezing already I decided to put on the Holley cable bracket that came today.  It fit perfect and the cables are spaced right.  I need to find a return spring I like.

https://i.imgur.com/RPXYEFX.jpg

I also found the water temp and oil pressure wires and hooked those up and also put a ground strap on the head that was hanging from the firewall.

So I have a question for y'all, what is this connector?

https://i.imgur.com/nXHpBen.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/xvj43D4.jpg

So that's where I am today, time for some dinner and warming up.  It's currently 21
View Quote

Refrigerant pressure switch connector possibly?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:00:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ch3no2] [#17]
Oh, and please clean that crud off of the choke butterfly and airhorn before starting

For a return spring, this works well.  Inexpensive and looks sharp
Return spring kit from Summit
It has a few different springs so you can adjust the tension

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ch3no2:

Refrigerant pressure switch connector possibly?
View Quote
It does look like one!
Oh, and please clean that crud off of the choke butterfly and airhorn before starting

For a return spring, this works well.  Inexpensive and looks sharp
Return spring kit from Summit
It has a few different springs so you can adjust the tension

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277622/99FD0742-CD2E-45BD-9E59-3317449451A1_jpe-1801998.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277622/3F0B3B1B-8884-4ECE-BABA-7A6CB949B96A_jpe-1801999.JPG
View Quote
You would have freaked about the twoish quarts of water I drained out of the motor.  

Thanks for the spring suggestion, I'll take a look!

Anyways I'm off today and what's this?

Time for some tig work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I posted this before...

I’ve bought and sold many cars and trucks over the years.  The ONLY one that I still miss to this day is my old K5.  I built a stump-pulling torque monster for it (blew up the 8.5” rear differential, and then
later blew up a TH400.  Oops).  The damn thing would bark all four tires in low range

I still miss it
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Also consider a throttle stop for that carburetor.  Moroso throttle stop
You can see it in the second pic I posted.
Having a throttle hang WFO sucks
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#22]
All done, a shout out to the real hero, my piece of cardboard I laid on.  You kept me out of the gravel and I'll always respect you for that.

Anyway, some of this:

Got me that:

I had to pie cut one piece on the driver's side to kick it over enough to clear the shift linkage.

Anyway, here's what it sounds like:

https://i.imgur.com/N0jel3S.gifv

I was told it was a 350 with flat tops and a comp 292 cam.  I do know the heads could be from a 350, they are 307/350 heads from 1971.  They suck though, small valve and big chamber.  But anyway, I don't want this to be a hot rod (that's what the Camaro is for) just a low rider.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#23]
That sounds terrific!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#24]
That sounds terrific!!!!!!
View Quote
Thanks man though it is louder than I like.

So TN antique tag laws say you can run a year of make tag on your antique and you just have to keep the correct tag with it.  So for my Camaro I found a sample tag from the clerk's office that's says SAMPLE that's the correct year and what did I find on eBay last night?  A 1986 SAMPLE tag!  $22 later and it's mine!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Sounds really good

I'd say it's a 292 cam based on comparison with this video

If you ever have the timing set off the cam might be stamped on the end.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:08:58 PM EDT
[#26]
All done, a shout out to the real hero, my piece of cardboard I laid on.  You kept me out of the gravel and I'll always respect you for that.

Anyway, some of this:

https://i.imgur.com/FDhUuVF.jpg

Got me that:

https://i.imgur.com/uuSsqu1.jpg

I had to pie cut one piece on the driver's side to kick it over enough to clear the shift linkage.

Anyway, here's what it sounds like:

https://i.imgur.com/N0jel3S.gifv

I was told it was a 350 with flat tops and a comp 292 cam.  I do know the heads could be from a 350, they are 307/350 heads from 1971.  They suck though, small valve and big chamber.  But anyway, I don't want this to be a hot rod (that's what the Camaro is for) just a low rider.
View Quote

Sounds awesome
It is quite a bit of camshaft for a truck (relatively heavy vehicle).

Do you know what rear gears it’s got in it?  
Torque converter stall speed?
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Sounds awesome
It is quite a bit of camshaft for a truck (relatively heavy vehicle).

Do you know what rear gears it's got in it?  
Torque converter stall speed?
View Quote
Honestly it's probably a stock converter and the rpo says it's 2.73 gears.  If it wasn't for the deep first gear on the 700r4 it wouldn't move out of it's own way.  

If I would have planned the motor out I would have went with a rv style cam and a performer intake.  As long legged as this dude is it doesn't need rpm.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I tackled something tonight that has been bothering the crap out of me.

This mess was my dash lights.  The plug has a button and on the end of each of the wires has a little led light that was stuck up in the cup of the gauges to illuminate them.  

My trouble shooting involved a test light from the fuse box to the headlight switch.  I was sending power to them but got no illumination.  I reached under the dash and wiggled the harness and got some flickering.

So I pulled the cluster and replaced all the bulbs.  I cleaned all the connections with contact cleaner and reassembled... Three times.  The first time I forgot to install the vss, the second time the prndl ribbon flipped behind the cluster, the third time I got it right.  

It doesn't photograph well but they are all lit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:28:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaceboy] [#29]
Not much today but progress nonetheless.  I fixed the not working hazard flashers.  Turns out the flasher was missing and the location it went in was not obvious at all.  I had to Google it's location when I couldn't locate it.

I also ran the vacuum line for the hvac so the heater should hopefully work.

The wife helped me out by modifying the seat blanket with stitched holes to pass the seatbelt stuff through and sewing velcro strips to anchor the middle to the top so it doesn't slide down.

It's going to be awful chilly the next few days so it's looking like Wednesday or Thursday before I work on the power steering.  It works intermittently due to not having enough belt adjustment I hope.  I have a set of brackets a friend gave me from his c10 he's ls swapping that I'm going to put on.

I may be able to work on installing the interior pieces that were removed for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you have any pics of the current power steering pump and brackets?

I have extensive experience in getting power steering pumps/brackets/belts sorted out on these trucks. So many people swap engines or pumps and mismatch brackets or pullies it can be a nightmare. And alot of them are hard to get alot of tension on because of the design. I made a tool just to get leverage to put tension on the belt
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 4:14:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaceboy] [#31]
Do you have any pics of the current power steering pump and brackets?

I have extensive experience in getting power steering pumps/brackets/belts sorted out on these trucks. So many people swap engines or pumps and mismatch brackets or pullies it can be a nightmare. And alot of them are hard to get alot of tension on because of the design. I made a tool just to get leverage to put tension on the belt
View Quote
My issue is I'm missing a bracket that bolts to the front of the exhaust.  I made one using a stud on the back of the pump but it's not correct.  

Here's all I have available, the one on the motor came with the truck:

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Ahh I see what you mean. I had the same problem I had to make my own bracket before I found a matched set of brackets. You should be able to use the set in the picture from the back of the pump. It has the little tab that mounts to the manifold bolt. Since you have headers you will probably need to use a spacer on a long bolt to get it lined up right

Even with the right brackets there is usually very little swing for adjusting the belt tension.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 1:19:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Please keep us updated... I’ve enjoyed this thread so far. You’ve done a great job and put a lot of work into it based on the photos. Also love the video... thing sounds like an old radial engine warbird idling on the ramp ready to take off!

Nothing quite like these old square bodies... I just finished getting my great grandfathers 74 k10 back on the road. They hold a special place in my heart.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:47:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Ahh I see what you mean. I had the same problem I had to make my own bracket before I found a matched set of brackets. You should be able to use the set in the picture from the back of the pump. It has the little tab that mounts to the manifold bolt. Since you have headers you will probably need to use a spacer on a long bolt to get it lined up right

Even with the right brackets there is usually very little swing for adjusting the belt tension.
View Quote
So I measured my belt tonight and compared it to the part number and it's a 41' belt.  That explains why I can't get it right.  The correct belt is 40" so I ordered one for pick up.  I think I can use my set up with the new belt.

I also ordered the suggested throttle return spring set up.  That will make the carb more proper.

So I have a Mack 10-000 brush coming tomorrow and a can of 1 shot white.  I've been playing with designs on pencil and paper and trying to include a M into the design to incorporate my last initial.  I can't wait to get to practice.

Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By the1919man:
Please keep us updated... I've enjoyed this thread so far. You've done a great job and put a lot of work into it based on the photos. Also love the video... thing sounds like an old radial engine warbird idling on the ramp ready to take off!

Nothing quite like these old square bodies... I just finished getting my great grandfathers 74 k10 back on the road. They hold a special place in my heart.
View Quote
Well post pics man!  Anyone is welcome to put up pics and/or tell stories in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#36]
By the looks of your pulley combination you should be able to use a belt that goes crank/water pump/power steering. Do that if you can. It's some insurance that if your alternator belt goes, then it wont overheat. Been there done that

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:58:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Spaceboy] [#37]
Tonight's shenanigans:

I scratched my user name in the windshield frost.  

Now I've never ran into this issue...

The damn control arm is too low for my jack!  So I went to the front of the frame.  

Anyways I drained the oil and noticed I'm missing the drain plug washer.  Dammit, too late for a parts store run.  I guess we'll have to make a gasket.

Coke zero, is there anything you can't do?  You taste great, you keep me from the beetus, and now you make gaskets.  

I'll be back with more in a bit.  Came in to top off the oil filter prefill.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:59:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm back and all finished for the night.  So the belt on the power steering worked perfect, I now have tension.

So the oil is changed, PS belt swapped and new plate is on.

It's the one that would have been behind the clerk in 86, how cool is that?  But here is the best part:

It matches my Camaro now!

I'm done for the night, tomorrow I'll start it and check the power steering function and trans level before work.

It's frikin cold!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 8:58:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: the1919man] [#39]
Here’s my 74. Was purchased new by my great grandfather in Pueblo, Colorado.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#40]
And what it looked like my whole life, until we pulled it out of storage for the first time in 30 years this past August:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's my 74. Was purchased new by my great grandfather in Pueblo, Colorado.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/107536/1F8A879A-6A73-4933-8978-619CBB89CB30_jpe-1808828.JPG
View Quote
That sweet!

Tonight is going to be a new power steering pump.  I started it this evening and it's pissing fluid from where the house hooks up.  It was rusted good and I cleaned it out the best I could but it's not sealing so I bought a new pump and hose.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#42]
If you’re also changing the hose on the low pressure side, save the original metal tube that attaches to the gearbox and switch the new low pressure hose over to it. The new one I bought didn’t have the correct geometry.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:07:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Well I finished up at 20 out tonight.  Brrrrr

New pump is on and so is the return spring.

I can't tell the difference in the spring tension in the four springs but it could be because I can't feel anything.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:16:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Did you really just skip on the power steering pump bracket?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Did you really just skip on the power steering pump bracket?
View Quote
I milled a slot in a piece of strap and bolted it to a stud in the back of the pump.  I just don't have the bracket that goes where is supposed to.

But I wouldn't be above skipping it.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Changed the brake hose tonight and I don't know if that fixes it until tomorrow when I can drive it.  

The first issue:

Yeah... wtf happened to that flare nut?  Vice grips removed it, vice grips reinstalled it.  

My other issue was even worse but I took no pic.  The replacement hose did not fit the replacement caliper.  I think it's due to them being made to fit OE parts but not each other.  I used an angle grinder and opened the caliper where it locates the hose to fit the banjo bolt part of the hose.

The master cylinder was full of brown brake fluid and had crap floating it in that I dipped out with a cup and then I wiped out the reservoir and refilled it.

Anyway, hose is replaced a brakes are bled.  If they work fine tomorrow I'm going to chance driving it to work.

This weekend the inner fenders come out because they are rubbing the front tires.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#47]
awesome project.  keep the updates coming!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I drove it to work today.  It drives fine but darts to the right when braking.  I believe this is related to the leaking wheel cylinder in the back.  I'm going to have to address that this weekend.  The front right no longer locks up when you apply the brakes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:16:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DallasLooterShooter] [#49]
I drove it to work today.  It drives fine but darts to the right when braking.  I believe this is related to the leaking wheel cylinder in the back.  I'm going to have to address that this weekend.  The front right no longer locks up when you apply the brakes.
View Quote

My old square body did the same thing, and after replacing brake calipers, proportioning valve, and bleeding it more times than I can remember, I found out it was a mismatched set of brake pads on the front causing a drastic pull to the right.  A new $40 set of pads had it braking perfectly again.

Love the thread, keep posting updates!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

My old square body did the same thing, and after replacing brake calipers, proportioning valve, and bleeding it more times than I can remember, I found out it was a mismatched set of brake pads on the front causing a drastic pull to the right.  A new $40 set of pads had it braking perfectly again.

Love the thread, keep posting updates!
View Quote
Thanks for the advice!  I will definitely keep that in mind.  I have to do rear brakes anyway due to the brake fluid fowling the shoes and if the problem persists I will change front pads.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top