Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've known some tall guys who drive these.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Torso/Leg ratio also plays a role.  I'm 5"11, but have a tall torso so I needed to drop the driver's side floor pan for helmet clearance.

Link Posted: 12/27/2020 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Went to look at one today. I may just pass on buying a Miata. Haven't driven one in over ten years, My head was pressed against the roof. Leaned forward and hit the roof cross bar. I felt so damn high up in the car, I'm only 5'8". No way to adjust the seat down.
View Quote

Perhaps try an NB. I have no issues sitting in one. Getting out is a whole different thing though. Plus NB’s look better.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Working on a 90. Would a bad CAS cause the fuel pump to not turn on? I have spark but the pump doesn’t come on.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Working on a 90. Would a bad CAS cause the fuel pump to not turn on? I have spark but the pump doesn’t come on.
View Quote

Have you verified fuel pump (and relay) function? Jumper the appropriate pins on the diagnostic connector to run the F/P at-will.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm almost 6ft [time makes us all shorter] and I have no issues in my NA. Hell, I have to move the seat up to drive though it's easier to slide it all the way back for ingress and egress.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went to look at one today. I may just pass on buying a Miata. Haven't driven one in over ten years, My head was pressed against the roof. Leaned forward and hit the roof cross bar. I felt so damn high up in the car, I'm only 5'8". No way to adjust the seat down.

I'm almost 6ft [time makes us all shorter] and I have no issues in my NA. Hell, I have to move the seat up to drive though it's easier to slide it all the way back for ingress and egress.

I'm taller than both of you.  When I sat in a Miata, the visor was directly in my line of sight and there was no way to close the roof.  There was no way to tilt the seat or move farther back to solve that problem.

Now, I could wrangle myself into the car and make it work but would I still be comfortable 200 or 300 miles later on a trip?  Probably not.

Seemingly, these cars are designed by smaller people for smaller people.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an 06' NC. 5' 9.5" and fit great. Wife is 5' 5" and just pulls the seat fwd a bit.
For reference, I'm 165 lbs.

No issues for fit and ability to drive the car. I do prefer to drive with top down though. And, the longest trip I've taken is 87 miles each way (literally). It's a weekend / date night car just for fun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you verified fuel pump (and relay) function? Jumper the appropriate pins on the diagnostic connector to run the F/P at-will.
View Quote

@walkure I did and it turns on but it still won’t start. I have spark and compression is good.  Injectors are firing cause the spark plugs got flooded. I’m pulling the valve cover today to verify the timing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm taller than both of you.  When I sat in a Miata, the visor was directly in my line of sight and there was no way to close the roof.  There was no way to tilt the seat or move farther back to solve that problem.

Now, I could wrangle myself into the car and make it work but would I still be comfortable 200 or 300 miles later on a trip?  Probably not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well...it's from Japan so...
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I know.  lol  

I want one.  It just isn't practical for me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I f'ing hate miatas...but I guess you could say I've got a valid reason...there I was, set up to get my SCCA Comp/Racing License in my bad ass GT2 tube-frame fire-breathing beast...a few on-track sessions into the weekend-long school and I'm passing some others in a corner, just a nice gentle shift into 4th....and NOTHING....no grinding gears.....just engine revs....CRAP!! I was able to coast off of the track and on to the hot pit lane....my crew checks it out....tows me back to the paddock, get the car in the air....crap...we're done! Sheered the pinion shaft clean off in the quick-change rear....I didn't have a spare at the time (now I do, brake to brake)....so....I've spent the time and money and committed my whole weekend to getting my race license....so....talk to the Race Director, he makes an introduction to a shop at the track that rents Mazda Miatas (SM / Spec Miata)....we agree on a price, the Race Director walks me through getting it tech'ed, registration / transponder changed etc....one problem....I'm a rather LARGE guy....and this is an itty bitty race car (caged, non adjustable seat, fire system, etc)...LOL...oh joy...I literally had to be shoved in and pulled out...BUT...I did it...I survived the weekend and my first w2w race in that car...even managed to pass a few folks!! Woo hoo!! If I never get in one again that will be just fine with me!

So...if I were to ever buy a miata....it would be for this:

https://tipo184.com

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#12]

But, but, but,... how do you take the wife on a trip along Pacific Coast Highway in THAT?  Not happening.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But, but, but,... how do you take the wife on a trip along Pacific Coast Highway in THAT?  Not happening.  
View Quote

In our 2017 Z06!  
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

^^^ ok, that will work...

Link Posted: 12/29/2020 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I f'ing hate miatas...but I guess you could say I've got a valid reason...there I was, set up to get my SCCA Comp/Racing License in my bad ass GT2 tube-frame fire-breathing beast...a few on-track sessions into the weekend-long school and I'm passing some others in a corner, just a nice gentle shift into 4th....and NOTHING....no grinding gears.....just engine revs....CRAP!! I was able to coast off of the track and on to the hot pit lane....my crew checks it out....tows me back to the paddock, get the car in the air....crap...we're done! Sheered the pinion shaft clean off in the quick-change rear....I didn't have a spare at the time (now I do, brake to brake)....so....I've spent the time and money and committed my whole weekend to getting my race license....so....talk to the Race Director, he makes an introduction to a shop at the track that rents Mazda Miatas (SM / Spec Miata)....we agree on a price, the Race Director walks me through getting it tech'ed, registration / transponder changed etc....one problem....I'm a rather LARGE guy....and this is an itty bitty race car (caged, non adjustable seat, fire system, etc)...LOL...oh joy...I literally had to be shoved in and pulled out...BUT...I did it...I survived the weekend and my first w2w race in that car...even managed to pass a few folks!! Woo hoo!! If I never get in one again that will be just fine with me!

So...if I were to ever buy a miata....it would be for this:

https://tipo184.com

https://tipo184.com/wp-content/themes/tipo-promo/assets/img/tipo-ant.jpg
View Quote

Sweet baby Jesus that's awesome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Dropped my motor off at a shop to get it regasketed because im afraid the weather is too cold to lay rtv in an unheated “garage”. So for the price the guy quoted me i’m just having a shop do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#17]
DW and I did 160Mi run across state for lunch, shopping and exploring. Ran over a used Band-Aid in the restaurant parking lot, it was blood type O.

Link Posted: 1/8/2021 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Saturday promises to be sunny, and cold, on the outskirts of little Beirut. Wife and I plan a run down the valley, scarves whipping in the wind...we'll see.

I may start a "fun car scavenger hunt" similar to the motorcycle thread already in progress.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#19]

1990 with 55k miles. Probably the slowest car I've ever owned but definitely the most smiles per gallon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the Fiata camp owning a 2017 FIAT 124 Spider.  (The Spider and the Miata are built in the same factory and share a shit load of parts.) I'm 6'-2" and if I was 1/4" taller I wouldn't fit.  

I love the nimble handling and quickness of a traditional sports car.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#21]
6 youtube vid series on the Miata's evolution. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p41i9L0HOJw&list=PLr-mTF1DFa-uYhVy6flJn83IiqLWgdssr&index=4

A must see for avid Miata peeps.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top