Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Speaking of Ft Irwin. When I was stationed there in 95-96, we were tasked with cleaning up all the old hard targets/vehicles from the training area in the summer of 95. I operated a M88 at the time. We drug in everything from WWII to Vietnam era vehicles. The museum folks at both Aberdeen Proving Grounds and Ft Knox were very excited and flew out to NTC to look at and get rare M4 Sherman parts we found. I personally hauled in quite a few M114 armored scout vehicles that were  from 60% to 90% complete. The oddest and biggest thing I hauled in was the M51 Heavy Tracked Recovery Vehicle. It was all two M88's could do to lift it high enough to get onto the lowboy trailer. We also recovered a M151 MUTT that only needed tires, fuel and a tune up to get it running. We drove the M151 for a bit around the training area until the Post Sergeant Major caught us. He made us drive it out to the main tank gunnery range and blow it up. I wish I had pictures of all that stuff
View Quote

Funny you mention the M151.  At one of our annual Fort Hood events the MP unit had gone out and gotten their static display armored M151 running so they could bring over to our display area to show off.  The MUTT had been on outdoor static display for at least 20 years.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#2]

6 gallons of 5606 arrived today 9 days early.

The hydro system takes 2.4 gallons.

Have a leak somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Vehicle is officially insured.

Hopefully this weekend we will take it on a longer drive than just to the gas station and back.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:  Vehicle is officially insured.

Hopefully this weekend we will take it on a longer drive than just to the gas station and back.
View Quote

Coming to the Mesquite gun show?  
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Coming to the Mesquite gun show?  
View Quote

I think I’ve been once to it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:  I think I’ve been once to it.
View Quote

There's going to be 4 or 5 of us that have announced for tomorrow.  You'd be the king of the parking lot if you showed up.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#7]

There's going to be 4 or 5 of us that have announced for tomorrow.  You'd be the king of the parking lot if you showed up.
View Quote

I already am tne king.

But it’s still broke and I’d never drive it that far. Stuffs $$$
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 2:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Not a good day for the brdm.

Broke down..but we determined it was out of fuel on one tank. Easy to fix.

The engine was on the top end of the temp gage because I wasn’t thinking. Determined it died because was because the one tank was empty. Switched it to the other one and after @m35ben primed it it fired up. I totally didn’t flip the louvers up before driving.

There was a fire on the back right of the engine. Small fire, just a single flame. Like the size of a clenched fist. The valve cover gasket is leaking oil. I guess it hit the headers and caught fire.

I’m beyond pissed and disappointed.

So far:

Hydro leak located on the radiator

Brake is still Stuck-unit will likely need completely overhauled because it was, last I checked, SMOKING.

shudder when braking

Brakes 50-50 purged

Valve cover gasket leak

Time to call Oleg for some parts ASAP.

Link Posted: 11/22/2020 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:
Not a good day for the brdm.

Broke down..but we determined it was out of fuel on one tank. Easy to fix.

The engine was on the top end of the temp gage because I wasn't thinking. Determined it died because was because the one tank was empty. Switched it to the other one and after @m35ben primed it it fired up. I totally didn't flip the louvers up before driving.

There was a fire on the back right of the engine. Small fire, just a single flame. Like the size of a clenched fist. The valve cover gasket is leaking oil. I guess it hit the headers and caught fire.

I'm beyond pissed and disappointed.

So far:

Hydro leak located on the radiator

Brake is still Stuck-unit will likely need completely overhauled because it was, last I checked, SMOKING.

shudder when braking

Brakes 50-50 purged

Valve cover gasket leak

Time to call Oleg for some parts ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5K1XVjyfco

View Quote
Its minor problems.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe it is like helicopters in that if you don't see oil leaking - get out because its empty

Yes easy minor fixes. Keep us updated on your progress.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Spent about an hour scrubbing tne rear storage compartment.

It had filled with water and mud and rusted at one point.

Unacceptable

So I charged up the cordless drill and had it. After 45 minutes of wire brushing it looks ten times better. Not perfect, but better.

Fun facts:

The importation paperwork says the vehicle is a 1980. Factory markings say the vehicle was made in 1976. Everyone I know who has a chemical variant also has the same markings so 1976 was the year of the chemical detector variant.

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad you are keeping this updated
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:52:42 PM EDT
[#13]
It's an awesome truck.  If I had to sink to a watery grave in an almost amphibious vehicle, this would be the one.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Speaking of Ft Irwin. When I was stationed there in 95-96, we were tasked with cleaning up all the old hard targets/vehicles from the training area in the summer of 95. I operated a M88 at the time. We drug in everything from WWII to Vietnam era vehicles. The museum folks at both Aberdeen Proving Grounds and Ft Knox were very excited and flew out to NTC to look at and get rare M4 Sherman parts we found. I personally hauled in quite a few M114 armored scout vehicles that were  from 60% to 90% complete. The oddest and biggest thing I hauled in was the M51 Heavy Tracked Recovery Vehicle. It was all two M88's could do to lift it high enough to get onto the lowboy trailer. We also recovered a M151 MUTT that only needed tires, fuel and a tune up to get it running. We drove the M151 for a bit around the training area until the Post Sergeant Major caught us. He made us drive it out to the main tank gunnery range and blow it up. I wish I had pictures of all that stuff
View Quote

We were there in 93.
If you heard about a buncha Marines "Doing a Code Red" on someone it was us.

No "Code Red", (not a thing, never been a thing), we were just horsing around after being in the desert for 4 weeks straight and had been given 36 hours off.
Bull in the Ring resulted in Lcpl Krazny getting his leg broken in several places.
Sounds really bad, but the bull in the ring had been going on for about 30 minutes prior to Krazny with a bloody nose and someone hit in the nuts by accident.
Krazny steps in and 15 seconds later, his leg is pointing the wrong way and he's screaming.
To be fair, Krazny was the guy with the worst luck in the whole Marine Corps.
He fast roped into the only tree in the desert, and knocked himself out racing down a ladderwell on a ship, so....
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 1:32:10 AM EDT
[#15]
It's an awesome truck.  If I had to sink to a watery grave in an almost amphibious vehicle, this would be the one.  
View Quote

If I get a vote in the matter....

Death by snu-snu would be my choice.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Any of this rust or pitting look worrisome?
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:19:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 545days] [#17]
Not to me, but I am restoring a 40 year old FIAT.  I would be thrilled if it looked that good.

Link Posted: 12/19/2020 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I sent 500$ to a random russian guy and he appears to have kept his word. Or he didn't and sent me a bag of rocks, but whatever he sent me just hit New York city.

4x Drum gaskets
1x Carb rebuild kit
4x Brake rebuild kits
1x Drum (Like the entire heavy thick metal part).
Oil pressure sending unit
DIstributor
ROtor
Cap
Random other brake parts

Pretty sure there's a couple more I'm forgetting, but it's just what we need to get the big chunk of iron back on the road.

Just kidding, I have been buying stuff from Oleg for years now and he's reliable as rain.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:19:48 PM EDT
[#19]
You're buying them off Russian Army vehicles.  Oleg needs vodka.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#20]
You're buying them off Russian Army vehicles.  Oleg needs vodka.
View Quote

Yup. I am pretty convinced he got popped for it a couple months ago when he went dark but it turns out he lost his job due to covid and his wife is driving him crazy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Hurry up USPS..my stuff has been sitting in New York for a week now. Not even moving.

Defund the USPS
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:  Hurry up USPS..my stuff has been sitting in New York for a week now. Not even moving.

Defund the USPS
View Quote

Do you want it to sit there forever?
Link Posted: 12/28/2020 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Do you want it to sit there forever?
View Quote

I can pay fedex to pick it up and it’ll actually be delivered.

Unlike usps
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife texted me And let me know some large packages from Russia arrived today.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.

I’m stuck at work.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Lot of parts here, one more package coming. Kitten for scale.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#28]
You got a Russian cat?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#29]
You got a Russian cat?
View Quote

Norwegian forest cat.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 11:15:35 PM EDT
[#30]
@raffi383

This is the vehicle
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#31]
@raffi383

This is the vehicle
View Quote

That's cool.  Thanks for letting me know.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
The drum still hasn't arrived. The tracking shows it's still in Moskva.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Progress was made today. Turn signals work again and the brakes work better.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Pulled the brake drum off today and found fluid on the shoes.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:43:24 PM EDT
[#35]

These drums are thiiiiick
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#36]
The drum still hasn't arrived. The tracking shows it's still in Moskva.
View Quote

So I got clarification on the drum. It was sent via ocean freighter and it's still in the black sea

I feel that the major issues have been resolved and we only have at most 1 or 2 saturdays left and we can hit the road and not worry about the brakes or anything else.

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:21:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Do we need to get video of the next fire?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Do we need to get video of the next fire?
View Quote

Won't be a next fire.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:08:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Tagged for more updates
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:16:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Went to test out the heater (at the time it was zero deg) and the BRDM would crank over but not fire and when it did just for a second. Then the battery died. So no testing out the heater. I took the batteries home, charged them up over the weekend, and went and cranked it today. It fired right up. Now, as to why the heater hasn't been working...apparently there's a valve that needs to be open for the hot coolant to flow into the pipes that go to the front to the fan which then transfers the heat. Lots of pipes, but it works. I turned the valve all the way out.

After letting the vehicle warm up I clicked the heater knob and my lower extremities were blessed with heat. It was amazing. I sat there for 20 minutes and enjoyed it.

Where was this 4 days ago

4 years into ownership and this vehicle still has a lot to show me.

I do need to get the correct size batteries for it. The current batteries are regular car size ones. The correct sized batteries are almost double the size..I don't feel like spending a lot of money for not a lot of benefit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Throw some solar panels on top, get a Green New Deal license plate holder.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 12:56:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Throw some solar panels on top, get a Green New Deal license plate holder.
View Quote

Technically it already has green license plates since it's from Vermont.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#43]
So in getting ready for this summer I realized I need a few things:

A way to charge my phone (USB)
A way to add more fans to circulate heat
A way to power additional devices (USB)
A solargizer to keep the batteries in better shape.
Correct size batteries (current ones are only about 60% of the size of the battery boxes, plenty of room for more juice).

A 24VDC power plug and an inverter off amazon will do the trick.

I'll wire it all in tomorrow and let the vehicle run for a bit.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 12:23:25 AM EDT
[#44]
I've got a solar panel charger than came out of Da's VW if you need one.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#45]
So I had to move the tank from the storage unit to my house due to situations beyond my control. Storing it at the storage unit was no longer an option, sadly. I only had a few hours to do it. Thankfully @m35ben was able to come through and save my bacon (yet again) since I still do not have a trailer and lifting the tires up to my 4runner wouldn't work.

Good news? BRDM is at my house.

Bad news: THE DAM BRAKES ARE STUCK. I was so ticked off. Especially since M35ben had put a lot of work into it. Perhaps that blockage that was loosened earlier had moved on to something else? Not sure. The brakes are the **Only** thing really holding us back at this point.

New parts list for oleg:

3x sets of brakes
1x drum
2x fuel tank sender units
1x fuel tank gauge
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#46]
When ppl ask you why your son's name is BRDM...
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:20:12 PM EDT
[#47]
So I had to move the tank from the storage unit to my house due to situations beyond my control. Storing it at the storage unit was no longer an option, sadly. I only had a few hours to do it. Thankfully @m35ben was able to come through and save my bacon (yet again) since I still do not have a trailer and lifting the tires up to my 4runner wouldn't work.

Good news? BRDM is at my house.

Bad news: THE DAM BRAKES ARE STUCK. I was so ticked off. Especially since M35ben had put a lot of work into it. Perhaps that blockage that was loosened earlier had moved on to something else? Not sure. The brakes are the **Only** thing really holding us back at this point.

New parts list for oleg:

3x sets of brakes
1x drum
2x fuel tank sender units
1x fuel tank gauge
View Quote

Look on the bright side. At least it's at your house.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:09:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#48]
Wire wheeled some rust and corrosion off the rear jet cover and painted it with hammerite. Unfortunately it was waaaay darker than I expected.

Before

(After wire wheeling off the rust and scrapes)

It has the same consistently and texture as the pain on the upper interior hull.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Brake drum arrived. Post office guy was a total wuss and my wife hefted it to her car.

(I was at work and she picked it up for me).

Now I have a spare.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#50]
The Saga...   Continues...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top