BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I'm not crazy about the way a lot of ADV riders cover their bikes with them, but the one guy here who has the Hi-Viz ones on the back of his panniers is pretty smart.
View Quote

Quoted:
other than maybe a BFL or two, all it's going to get from me is some Hi-Viz decals.  

View Quote

LOL

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool bike and a solid choice.

glad you are back on 2 wheels!
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My size 14 feet are a bit large for the shift lever, but the brake pedal is perfect.

The Barker's Exhaust muffler is LOUD. Not as loud as my Harley . . .

I'm pretty happy so far; I might look for a stock muffler later because WAAAAAUUUUUAAAAGGGHHH gets a little old after awhile.
View Quote

You can adjust the shift lever on the splines, our you can adjust the "turnbuckle" linkage to get a little more room.  I wear a 14 or 15 riding boot depending on the manufacturer but I eventually capitulated and got a Hammerhead shift lever.  They aren't too expensive and they come in a few different length/offset/shift tab options.

Attachment Attached File

As for the exhaust, I feel you.  It reminds me of some WWII bomber scooting down the road.  I'm unfamiliar with Barker's, but honestly it's not bad with my pipe.

I wear custom made earplugs when I ride, regardless.  Aside from the drone the BRAAAAAAP is fun.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]

There you are, where did you get those? I need some for my panniers, and maybe a few upside-down US flags just to piss off the Jeep mechanic in the GD thread.

Speaking of panniers, I need to take them off the rack and tighten them because they rattle on rough pavement.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There you are, where did you get those? I need some for my panniers, and maybe a few upside-down US flags just to piss off the Jeep mechanic in the GD thread.

View Quote

I had an Arts and Crafts day and did the 3M Diamond Grade reflective and wrap myself.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:04:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PhuzzyGnu:

I had an Arts and Crafts day and did the 3M Diamond Grade reflective and wrap myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

There you are, where did you get those? I need some for my panniers, and maybe a few upside-down US flags just to piss off the Jeep mechanic in the GD thread.

I had an Arts and Crafts day and did the 3M Diamond Grade reflective and wrap myself.

The newer reflective technology is amazing; the reflective stripes on my work pants reflect light and can be seen almost 100 yards away in a dark parking lot. The Pelican case on the top luggage rack has reflective tape strips on the back edge, which is a good start.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Lowe’s has some good sticky reflective tape.  I just used the red and silver tapes on my plastic hard cases.  Most stickers don’t stay on plastic for long before blowing off, but these stickers have held fast.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The newer reflective technology is amazing; the reflective stripes on my work pants reflect light and can be seen almost 100 yards away in a dark parking lot. The Pelican case on the top luggage rack has reflective tape strips on the back edge, which is a good start.
View Quote

Shitty frame grab from my girlfriend's Ring floodlight cam as I was rolling out at early one morning for a long ride.  The boxes are obvious; the horizontal stripe above is the back reflective on my Aerostich.

Attachment Attached File

You don't have to go all ridiculous like I did.  You can get DOT C2 reflective at and hardware store or truck stop that is pretty much as good.  If it was going to do it again I would have used black reflective in place of the yellow or red.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Beautiful bike! Check out the flea market section on ADVrider.com for a stock muffler.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Shitty frame grab from my girlfriend's Ring floodlight cam as I was rolling out at early one morning for a long ride.  The boxes are obvious; the horizontal stripe above is the back reflective on my Aerostich.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_jpg-1416152.JPG

You don't have to go all ridiculous like I did.  You can get DOT C2 reflective at and hardware store or truck stop that is pretty much as good.  If it was going to do it again I would have used black reflective in place of the yellow or red.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironhandjohn:

The newer reflective technology is amazing; the reflective stripes on my work pants reflect light and can be seen almost 100 yards away in a dark parking lot. The Pelican case on the top luggage rack has reflective tape strips on the back edge, which is a good start.

Shitty frame grab from my girlfriend's Ring floodlight cam as I was rolling out at early one morning for a long ride.  The boxes are obvious; the horizontal stripe above is the back reflective on my Aerostich.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69748/Screenshot_jpg-1416152.JPG

You don't have to go all ridiculous like I did.  You can get DOT C2 reflective at and hardware store or truck stop that is pretty much as good.  If it was going to do it again I would have used black reflective in place of the yellow or red.

My leather jacket has reflective piping along the back, front, and sleeves. Of course, it also has ‘HARLEY DAVIDSON’ in huge letters on the back and front, as well as the logo on both sleeves. It’s got armor in the elbows and shoulders, and the long triple vents in front, back, and under the arms makes it reasonably comfortable into the mid 80s. I unzip the sleeve cuffs and let air blow up them when it’s really hot.

I bitch about HD a lot, mostly their devotees and a few scumbag service departments, but their jackets are a perfect fit for me with my big shoulders, thick chest, long floppy Plains Indian arms, long torso. I tried on every jacket at the local Cycle Gear store and not one of them fit correctly.

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My leather jacket has reflective piping along the back, front, and sleeves. Of course, it also has 'HARLEY DAVIDSON' in huge letters on the back and front, as well as the logo on both sleeves. It's got armor in the elbows and shoulders, and the long triple vents in front, back, and under the arms makes it reasonably comfortable into the mid 80s. I unzip the sleeve cuffs and let air blow up them when it's really hot.

I bitch about HD a lot, mostly their devotees and a few scumbag service departments, but their jackets are a perfect fit for me with my big shoulders, thick chest, long floppy Plains Indian arms, long torso. I tried on every jacket at the local Cycle Gear store and not one of them fit correctly.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to the club. You might change your mind about the stickers. I didn't put any on mine for a couple of years and then started to put some local places I support and a few more here and there.  It grows on you.

I have to say the BMW MOA national rally I went to for the first time last year was one of the nicest, best out on events I have ever been to. Every single person was amazing and it was a lot of fun. You need to make it to one of at all possible.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:19:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I just got an email from Barker’s Performance about my loud muffler. They quit making exhaust systems for Beemer boxers in ‘14, but still have parts available. They said that if I ship them my muffler, they will repack it and return it for $80. That seems reasonable to me.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#14]
https://expressionsvinyl.com/reflective-vinyl-12x12-sheet/

do you know anyone with a vinyl cutter?

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just got an email from Barker's Performance about my loud muffler. They quit making exhaust systems for Beemer boxers in '14, but still have parts available. They said that if I ship them my muffler, they will repack it and return it for $80. That seems reasonable to me.
View Quote

Shipping will be high.  It's a wash doing this versus a stock takeoff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I love my FJR1300

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The old Beemer and I just off the Natchez Trace Parkway a few hours ago. The bike needs a name, something Teutonic, since my old Road King’s name was ‘Old Horse’.

I'm figuring out that the distance from the pegs to the seat is exactly the wrong length for my arthritic knee. I'm fine for 45 minutes or so, but after that I really start to hurt. If anyone saw a large brown-skinned guy riding down the Natchez Trace while standing up, or kicking his right leg outward, it was me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:27:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm figuring out that the distance from the pegs to the seat is exactly the wrong length for my arthritic knee. I'm fine for 45 minutes or so, but after that I really start to hurt. If anyone saw a large brown-skinned guy riding down the Natchez Trace while standing up, or kicking his right leg outward, it was me.
View Quote

Is the seat in the "high" position?  There should be an adjustment.

Also, the seat looks like a "low" seat.

You can get lower pegs or a peg lowering kit.  Both are spendy.

My BMW is "Eva" as in.. well, a German chick in the past named "Eva".  My Honda is "Josephine".  As in Josephine Baker.  Black and sexy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My BMW is "Eva" as in.. well, a German chick in the past named "Eva".  My Honda is "Josephine".  As in Josephine Baker.  Black and sexy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the seat on the higher setting in the front and the low one in the back, mainly to get my testicles off the fuel tank. I find myself pushing back against the lip between the seats in a bid to get more room, and I even sat all the way back on the rear seat a few times. Unfortunately, if there is a reason why I sell the bike it will be in search of more legroom. I'm not going to sink a bunch of $$ into parts that only get me an inch or two of additional room.

However, the kids who work at Publix think I have a really cool bike, despite the fact that it's older than they are.

For names, I was thinking 'Schultz'.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, if there is a reason why I sell the bike it will be in search of more legroom. I'm not going to sink a bunch of $$ into parts that only get me an inch or two of additional room.

However, the kids who work at Publix think I have a really cool bike, despite the fact that it's older than they are.

View Quote
I have the BMW seat at "high-high".  If I have the rear low my hips start aching something fierce.  Like I said, that looks like a "low' seat.  But finding a normal or high seat would be spendy.

I lowered Josephine's pegs 25mm.  Huuuuge difference.  Huge.

And people never believe she's 21 years old.  1999 model.  Right now she's at the shop.  I finally gave up trying to trace an intermittent fuel in oil problem so I handed her off to a pro.  When they sort that out they are going to throw her up on the dyno and fine-tune her.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Well that didn't work very well...

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes just an inch or so is all it takes. Get on ADV rider in the flea market and get a used saddle and lowering pegs. You can pick them up pretty cheap if you keep an eye out.

It's not my knee but my hip.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Highway pegs for the longer rides.

Also, install a Gemi chip for the best bang for buck mod.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#24]
The Touratech pegs you posted are $200/set, but that looks like a good idea for stretching out a little bit.

Attachment Attached File

I cut some pieces out of an old mouse pad for vibration-damping, now I can run the windshield extender without it beating itself to death by flopping around.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#25]
You can also get beads for your seat.  That'll give you an additional 1/2-5/8 plus the benefits of the bead cover.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You can also get beads for your seat.  That'll give you an additional 1/2-5/8 plus the benefits of the bead cover.
View Quote

A million immigrant cab drivers can't be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I put almost 200 miles on 'Sgt. Schultz' today. I was able to ride almost 2 hours before my knee started to complain, and I spent some time finding a balance of comfort and being able to reach the brake pedal. I found that if I keep the ball of my foot on the peg, bending my knee further, pushes it past the point where it hurts. Then all it takes is a quick straightening-out to reset my knee for a few more miles.

I'm getting around 170 miles before the bars on the fuel gauge vanish & the low fuel light comes on. This is a combination of interstate speed, two-lane highway speed, and some city riding. It takes 4.5-4.8 gallons to fill it back up. Is this normal range for an 1150GS?

'Schultz' is also very stable in the rain, thanks to the big-ass thunderstorm I rode into. Michelin Anakee 3s perform well on wet, slimy streets, though I'm glad I wasn't on the interstate when I hi the rain. The best part is that I won't spend an hour cleaning up chrome, unlike when I rode my Road King in the rain.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't forget ADV bikes are made to stand up on as well. I will ride for a few seconds like that every so often for a break.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't forget ADV bikes are made to stand up on as well. I will ride for a few seconds like that every so often for a break.
View Quote

I stand up on all my bike even my cruisers. You want weird looks? Be a big fat dude standing on the passenger pegs ripping down the road.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll stand up at lower speeds, but 50+ on the Natchez Trace is a bit of a handful for me to stand up while riding. I will scoot up onto the passenger seat for a stretch, though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I put almost 200 miles on 'Sgt. Schultz' today. I was able to ride almost 2 hours before my knee started to complain, and I spent some time finding a balance of comfort and being able to reach the brake pedal. I found that if I keep the ball of my foot on the peg, bending my knee further, pushes it past the point where it hurts. Then all it takes is a quick straightening-out to reset my knee for a few more miles.

I'm getting around 170 miles before the bars on the fuel gauge vanish & the low fuel light comes on. This is a combination of interstate speed, two-lane highway speed, and some city riding. It takes 4.5-4.8 gallons to fill it back up. Is this normal range for an 1150GS?

'Schultz' is also very stable in the rain, thanks to the big-ass thunderstorm I rode into. Michelin Anakee 3s perform well on wet, slimy streets, though I'm glad I wasn't on the interstate when I hi the rain. The best part is that I won't spend an hour cleaning up chrome, unlike when I rode my Road King in the rain.
View Quote

I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs.  Sportbike/racing background.

As for mileage, I get about 38-40 mpg, or 300 miles per tank (8.7 gallons?).

Finally, if you think the Anakee III is good, your head will explode when you wear them out and replace them with the newer Michelin Anakee Adventure or Pilot Road 5 with the new dual compound high silica rubber.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:09:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'll stand up at lower speeds, but 50+ on the Natchez Trace is a bit of a handful for me to stand up while riding. I will scoot up onto the passenger seat for a stretch, though.
View Quote

Yea, I don't stand above 45 or so. I don't have highway pegs but I kick my feet up n the engine guards sometimes. On some bikes I will put my feet back on the passenger pegs for a bit. It doesn't work on my GSA but it might on yours. it puts a big bend in your leg. you wouldn't ride like that or long but as you know its just about changing things fro a minute or two.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs.  Sportbike/racing background.

As for mileage, I get about 38-40 mpg, or 300 miles per tank (8.7 gallons?).

Finally, if you think the Anakee III is good, your head will explode when you wear them out and replace them with the newer Michelin Anakee Adventure or Pilot Road 5 with the new dual compound high silica rubber.
View Quote

Mileage and riding position is the same for me. Same bike.

I ride with Shinko 705's because I like them, they work well, and they are cheap in price but not performance.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#34]
There's an '06 OEM exhaust on the ADVRider flea market for $50 right now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There's an '06 OEM exhaust on the ADVRider flea market for $50 right now.
View Quote

He's in the Bay Area and doesn't want to ship.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I think I have the seat height adjusted correctly because I can get almost all of the way through a tank of gas before I need to stretch my right knee. The bike gives zero fucks about interstate speed, too, content to bomb around at 80mph smoothly and confidently. This is in stark contrast to my old Road King, which, due to the surfboard-shaped windshield and 14” ape-hangers, was a twitchy beast above 60mph and exhausting to ride for very long.

I still need a beaded seat cover for it, and it’s going into an independent shop next week for a service and looking-over that I can’t do in the parking lot of my apartment complex.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Beautiful bike. Hopefully one will be in my future.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:44:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Sgt. Schultz got all fluids changed, the valves adjusted, the brake system flushed, and an overall inspection this week, and has been given a clean bill of health. It still needs a few things done, but nothing urgent.

I’ve got to have the left pannier bracket(not the factory piece attached to the subframe, but the Motech Trax adaptor) welded on where one of the struts has broken a weld. I was advised to replace the GPS/phone ball mount clutch reservoir cover with a factory piece. The muffler is as quiet as it’s going to get, since it’s full of otherwise good-condition fiberglass packing, but has no internal baffles. It sounds like a FW-190 at full-honk when I give it a big handful of throttle, though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:08:39 PM EDT
[#40]
With the stock exhaust system you can pull the muffler and the report changes very little due to the cat.
I still have the cat and installed a turn down tip, so your welcome to have my stock muffler for shipping cost (PN 18 12 7 670 700). Has ~35K miles on it. Its heavy; weighs ~12 lbs.
Probably good to have some spark arresting if going off road.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
With the stock exhaust system you can pull the muffler and the report changes very little due to the cat.
I still have the cat and installed a turn down tip, so your welcome to have my stock muffler for shipping cost (PN 18 12 7 670 700). Has ~35K miles on it. Its heavy; weighs ~12 lbs.
Probably good to have some spark arresting if going off road.
View Quote

Check your PMs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Last Sunday I went for an uneventful, if really hot, ride on the GS, when the end-cap blew off my muffler. The cap, screening, and fiberglass packing went flying into traffic, but luckily wasn't run over by anybody. I did a U-turn and retrieved my parts, but if I thought my bike was loud before, HOLY SHIT! Even though I short-shifted and coasted as much as I could, my ears rang for two days after riding the 2.5 miles home with an open exhaust.

The shop that took the muffler apart when it was there for service picked up the bike, and we are waiting for replacement parts from Barker's. In the meantime they have given me a 'loaner' bike: a 2007 Triumph Bonneville. What a funky little machine that's a blast to ride, if not particularly powerful. The Bonneville is light, maneuverable, quiet, and simple. I look like a Grizzly bear on a circus bike when I ride it, but who cares?

I think I'm going to rename my GS from 'Sgt. Schultz' to 'Lily von Schtupp'.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought my VTX when I was 21 and the first thing I did was order Vance and Hines pipes and pull the baffles out of them. Can't have those Harley dudes thinking they had the lockdown on being loud and annoying. Fast forward a couple years when I am taking longer rides and I regret my decisions.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I bought my VTX when I was 21 and the first thing I did was order Vance and Hines pipes and pull the baffles out of them. Can't have those Harley dudes thinking they had the lockdown on being loud and annoying. Fast forward a couple years when I am taking longer rides and I regret my decisions.
View Quote

My Road King had loud Screamin' Eagle slash-cut mufflers, but at least the noise was well behind me. The empty muffler on the GS became the resonator from Hades, and I'd swear that someone on the International Space Station heard it & said, "What the fuck was THAT??"
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top