BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Exactly. I went SUV (CX5 turbo, 0-60 6.1-6.4, I am averaging 26.4mpg over the last 33K miles). Reason for this is the large chunks of ice semi's shed, dead animals, etc. that you find on the back roads. Ground clearance.
View Quote
We recently rented a cx5 touring for a long road trip

From a driver perspective it was as exciting as watching paint dry. My 91 accord wagon is more entertaining to drive.

Now the luxury and tech was top notch. Adaptive cruise for the win.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you like working on cars? Get an older Outback or Forester XT and swap in an STI engine. There are plenty of mods for the older cars. A Legacy GT might fit what you want too.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What about an older N54 335i? For the most part, they're pretty reliable, especially for a BMW.  And they can be made damn quick with about $2k or less.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What about an older N54 335i? For the most part, they're pretty reliable, especially for a BMW.  And they can be made damn quick with about $2k or less.
View Quote

I'm really liking the Z4 coupe or newer z4 hardtop convertible (or SLK"S)

really wishing I had a fun car now...essential job and the interstate has been empty and all the fun cars have been blowing by me at 100mph+ (even the one cop blew by me today and I was speeding )
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We recently rented a cx5 touring for a long road trip

From a driver perspective it was as exciting as watching paint dry. My 91 accord wagon is more entertaining to drive.

Now the luxury and tech was top notch. Adaptive cruise for the win.
View Quote

Just raced a 2004 Mach 1 in mine the other week. Had him until 55-60mph or so from a low-speed roll (about 3mph) when we hit it (automatic with 310# of torque and much more aggressive gearing at 2000rpm > manual with 320# torque at 4200rpm and much softer gearing, from a low-speed roll). (Let off at about 65 with him having about half a car between his rear and my front bumper) You just need the one with the turbo, because yeah, the NA model is boring.

There is just no way 187hp/187tq or whatever is the same as 250hp/310# torque in the same vehicle. Yeah, the touring model is boring. No, it's not the same as what I drive, lol! Acceleration is very similar to a Subaru WRX, except you can't rev to 6K and drop the clutch, so for all-out launches it comes up short.

Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A mustang gt of the year your budget allows

Done
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#7]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I feel that if OP can't find a 5.0 GT (new one, not legacy), then the mustang will be a letdown. I worked for Ford back when the 3V 4.6L's came out, and they were a huge ho-hum then, and never really improved, save for the limited edition BOSS 302, which was not a 3V motor, or the 2011+ GT500's. I would prefer a clean LS1 C5  or F-body to any mustang that was not a Cobra, or a 2011+, or aforementioned "special model".

That said, I think OP wanted something with ground clearance and AWD...mission creep, here...

Definitely not amazingly fast, but it is far from "boring", especially for 7.5" ground clearance, averaging  26.5mpg lifetime for all I do in it (80mph road trips, hooning around, etc) and Japanese reliability. I can't think of anything I'd replace it with other than an Audi SQ5, and I don't want to deal with Audi maintenance/repairs.

Attachment Attached File

*Other vehicles I've owned:
1995 Trans Am
2001 WS.6
2012 370Z Sport/Touring
2011 C6 Z06

Yes, I know what quick cars are, the CX5 turbo keeps me entertained far beyond what you'd expect from it, coupled with the amazing AWD and ground clearance I need to get about my day, plus I love the HUD, cooled seats, and all that jazz.

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I feel that if OP can't find a 5.0 GT (new one, not legacy), then the mustang will be a letdown. I worked for Ford back when the 3V 4.6L's came out, and they were a huge ho-hum then, and never really improved, save for the limited edition BOSS 302, which was not a 3V motor, or the 2011+ GT500's. I would prefer a clean LS1 C5  or F-body to any mustang that was not a Cobra, or a 2011+, or aforementioned "special model".

That said, I think OP wanted something with ground clearance and AWD...mission creep, here...

Definitely not amazingly fast, but it is far from "boring", especially for 7.5" ground clearance, averaging  26.5mpg lifetime for all I do in it (80mph road trips, hooning around, etc) and Japanese reliability. I can't think of anything I'd replace it with other than an Audi SQ5, and I don't want to deal with Audi maintenance/repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQWjPztuNVk

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/453733/received_1297999417073083__1__jpeg-1356422.JPG

*Other vehicles I've owned:
1995 Trans Am
2001 WS.6
2012 370Z Sport/Touring
2011 C6 Z06

Yes, I know what quick cars are, the CX5 turbo keeps me entertained far beyond what you'd expect from it, coupled with the amazing AWD and ground clearance I need to get about my day, plus I love the HUD, cooled seats, and all that jazz.

View Quote
Tell me about the Z! I have the Subaru when I need it for ground clearance/ snow  (very small time of year)

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Tell me about the Z! I have the Subaru when I need it for ground clearance/ snow  (very small time of year)

View Quote

It felt like an LS1 fbody stock/stock for acceleration, honestly. The interior was very nice. Ride very solid and like a block of billet. My issue was the craptastic grinding, hard to shift when cold and humid out (yes...), notchy transmission and the suspension that was stiff but had zero rebound control. Those two things ruined the car as a recommendation, from me anyways. 2012 sport/touring package.

It was kindof a swing and a miss. I've read 2013 and later resolved the rebound control issues, but dont know. Honestly, for the money spent, there are many better options, I feel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd keep my eyes open for a Corvette Sedan.

They dont resell as well and you can grab a bargain
View Quote

Not sure if serious or trolling.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm really liking the Z4 coupe or newer z4 hardtop convertible (or SLK"S)

really wishing I had a fun car now...essential job and the interstate has been empty and all the fun cars have been blowing by me at 100mph+ (even the one cop blew by me today and I was speeding )
View Quote

Look at the Fiat 124... it's a less ugly Miata with Fiat's 1.4 turbo.  Not a ton of power stock, but should respond well to mods due to the factory blowymatron.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:22:48 PM EDT
[#13]
My weekend car (when I'm not on the bike).
Get a 6spd, 07+. They go for almost nothing, just have to find one that has been taken care of.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Here’s my fun daily... I average 24 MPG and my commute is roughly 80 miles round trip. Not bad for a 400hp 5.0 v8 sedan.  Super reliable, bought it last year 130k miles and I’m at 150k and it doesn’t miss a beat

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here’s my fun daily... I average 24 MPG and my commute is roughly 80 miles round trip. Not bad for a 400hp 5.0 v8 sedan.  Super reliable, bought it last year 130k miles and I’m at 150k and it doesn’t miss a beat

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/4510915d_86a8_467c_8b1a_6e3c369cb20d_c8ec2e415ce636ab429331df8493997f1c653447.jpeg
View Quote

What model is that?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What model is that?
View Quote

Lexus IS-F.  It was designed to compete with the BMW M3 and Mercedes C63 sedans.  I've wanted one for awhile and finally found a few that dipped under $15k last year.

https://carbuzz.com/news/20-000-bargains-the-first-lexus-f-model-is-now-remarkably-affordable
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/4510915d_86a8_467c_8b1a_6e3c369cb20d_c8ec2e415ce636ab429331df8493997f1c653447.jpeg
View Quote

Excellent choice! If I could own that where I live, hands-down that would be my choice. A 100% Japanese German touring car.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
cheap fast and reliable are not usually three words you see, together, describing a car....
View Quote

Right on this one. Usually you have to give up on or two of those lol
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#19]
You could get a v6 or ecoboost 15-17 mustang, Hell with that said for the price you can get into a 13-14 GT for the same money. <- To me this would be my route depending on money id even say just get a 15+ GT if you can afford it so much aftermarket support and the coyote v8's are very bulletproof and can take a lot of abuse. Plus on the highway they get good MPG's if you drive like a normal person.

At least a 2015 and up Golf GTI or R

Not a big fan of the new/newer WRX's or STI's if keeping stock they would be good but any mods is a big no go for me when there's been plenty of people have had them go KABOOM with a couple bolt ons and a tune. They're just not made the same anymore.

A new/lightly used accord sport would be pretty good, same motor as a type r and a 10 speed auto they do also come in a manual pretty sure.

A focus RS

A newer lancer evo 14-15
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#20]
thanks all for the great replies!!!

currently on hold do to uncertainty of my wife's job market and this covid issue. sucks as car prices are dropping!OH MY gosh like every car at a dealer I looked at has sold (private party not selling so fast)

I'm driving her old 2012 Fiat 500 sport now.
we were going to sell it and dealer only offered $2500 with 56k miles

so I have been driving it like I stole it as it's keeping miles off my subaru, it's has sport brakes (factory red calipers), we put kinda better rubber on it on the low pro rims (hankook ventis)

It's slow, but fun. Like a go cart on the empty highways. It's crazy how good it corners. I was kinda shocked. It can keep up with the flow on the highway (70+) and if you keep RPM's up it's kinda fun

It has heated leather, bose, and hands free. This is a good interim solution.

I forgot how fun a small nimble car can be. And I have been racing other people to the speed limit at lights and it's won a few with laughs from both me and the other driver at the next light.

On that note I really want an SLK 350 or AMG 55. Test drove a few and that is the car I think I want. I wanted the Z4 coupe but they tend to cost way more.

I have not driven a 350/370Z but I really like the  370Z in looks and will have to test drive before I decide that over the SLK

but now I wonder about the Abarth the little 500 with more power? It has to be a hoot. I was running against one on the highway and that exhaust sounded so good on the abarth and he pulled away no problem.

can't wait for the covid/economy to start to stabilize so I can get my car, but then I will also miss the daily commute on the autobahn
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 4:28:45 PM EDT
[#21]
If you want a 944 T or any Porsche, contact the Porsche Club of America and they can give you access to the club’s classifieds. Cleanest, most reliable source for Porsches. People in that realm live and die by their reputations. You will be getting exactly what is described.

The second best source is Rennlist.com. Same deal. Sellers are policed pretty heavily by the board. Great source. I got my 996 there and it was better than advertised.

TC
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You could get a v6 or ecoboost 15-17 mustang, Hell with that said for the price you can get into a 13-14 GT for the same money. <- To me this would be my route depending on money id even say just get a 15+ GT if you can afford it so much aftermarket support and the coyote v8's are very bulletproof and can take a lot of abuse. Plus on the highway they get good MPG's if you drive like a normal person.

At least a 2015 and up Golf GTI or R

Not a big fan of the new/newer WRX's or STI's if keeping stock they would be good but any mods is a big no go for me when there's been plenty of people have had them go KABOOM with a couple bolt ons and a tune. They're just not made the same anymore.

A new/lightly used accord sport would be pretty good, same motor as a type r and a 10 speed auto they do also come in a manual pretty sure.

A focus RS

A newer lancer evo 14-15
View Quote

The same as what? They've been that way for decades.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

currently on hold do to uncertainty of my wife's job market and this covid issue. sucks as car prices are dropping!OH MY gosh like every car at a dealer I looked at has sold (private party not selling so fast)

so I have been driving it like I stole it as it's keeping miles off my subaru, it's has sport brakes (factory red calipers), we put kinda better rubber on it on the low pro rims (hankook ventis)

It's slow, but fun. Like a go cart on the empty highways. It's crazy how good it corners. I was kinda shocked. It can keep up with the flow on the highway (70+) and if you keep RPM's up it's kinda fun

I forgot how fun a small nimble car can be. And I have been racing other people to the speed limit at lights and it's won a few with laughs from both me and the other driver at the next light.

On that note I really want an SLK 350 or AMG 55. Test drove a few and that is the car I think I want. I wanted the Z4 coupe but they tend to cost way more.

I have not driven a 350/370Z but I really like the  370Z in looks and will have to test drive before I decide that over the SLK

but now I wonder about the Abarth the little 500 with more power? It has to be a hoot. I was running against one on the highway and that exhaust sounded so good on the abarth and he pulled away no problem.

can't wait for the covid/economy to start to stabilize so I can get my car, but then I will also miss the daily commute on the autobahn
View Quote

Those little cars aren't safe. I tried to talk a friend out of one, but she HAD to have it (It's cute, ya know?). A parkinglot wreck has left her with nerve damage, now. Sucks.

The SLK350 is okay. I stomped one when I had my 370Z, but the guy looked like he was having fun, lol! The AMG 55 is a much meaner animal.

Before you buy, though, please look into:

Cost to do brakes, cost to service transmission, and typical service intervals and costs thereof.

A co-worker of mine had a 500 series MB once, 2013. She got rid of it fast. MB is MONEY. No matter how cheap you get INTO it, lol!
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you want a 944 T or any Porsche, contact the Porsche Club of America and they can give you access to the club’s classifieds. Cleanest, most reliable source for Porsches. People in that realm live and die by their reputations. You will be getting exactly what is described.

The second best source is Rennlist.com. Same deal. Sellers are policed pretty heavily by the board. Great source. I got my 996 there and it was better than advertised.

TC
View Quote

I would love a 944T or S2 to play with. You seem like you might know what's up in that world. What is the going rate for a clean one that won't need any love for a while, and how much does that love cost to keep it clean, when you need to do work, etc.?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#25]
we mention Focus ST yet?

I just got a 2017 and its pretty aweseome coming from an 03 RSX-s.

Find a later model 2015+ with the ST3 options (heated recaros/steering wheel and adaptive HID lights) and they can be nice.

good luck finding a stock one. the ricers are getting them now.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In my area: Loaded CPO 2016 INFINITI Q70L with tech package and performance wheel package, and it's AWD - 36K miles, for $28.5

Linky

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88366/22143746421x640-1269135.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88366/22143747600x640-1269136.jpg
View Quote

That interior looks fresh out of 2009.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Pick any two...
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

The same as what? They've been that way for decades.
View Quote

From what my buddy say's who's a Subaru nerd seems like the older STI's and WRX's could handle power a lot better than these newer STI's and WRX's. I'll just say i've known people who have had older STI's 04-06 (with mods) and never had problem. Where as i've seen people with 15+ WRX's/STI's kill their car stock idk, I drive a new mustang gt LOL.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:

From what my buddy say's who's a Subaru nerd seems like the older STI's and WRX's could handle power a lot better than these newer STI's and WRX's. I'll just say i've known people who have had older STI's 04-06 (with mods) and never had problem. Where as i've seen people with 15+ WRX's/STI's kill their car stock idk, I drive a new mustang gt LOL.

View Quote

I was into that scene when the motor first came out, decades ago. They broke so much there was a 3mo wait to get a new engine from Subaru. Ring land failure among other things.

You do understand the STi is unchanged virtually for 2 decades, engine mechanics wise, with 2019 finally getting a few upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

I was into that scene when the motor first came out, decades ago. They broke so much there was a 3mo wait to get a new engine from Subaru. Ring land failure among other things.

You do understand the STi is unchanged virtually for 2 decades, engine mechanics wise, with 2019 finally getting a few upgrades.
View Quote

You can say they're "unchanged" but they've changed over the years and have gotten progressively weaker at holding any power over stock.

With that said i also know there was also issue for people doing bolt on's after 06 because the ECU getting changed in 07.  idk

With all that said i honestly don't care all that much about Subaru's i just have buddies that are really into them. Personally I'm a mustang guy and live and die by mod motors lmao. Coyote FTW.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:52:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By cheezzyizill:

You can say they're "unchanged" but they've changed over the years and have gotten progressively weaker at holding any power over stock. 

With that said i also know there was also issue for people doing bolt on's after 06 because the ECU getting changed in 07.  idk

With all that said i honestly don't care all that much about Subaru's i just have buddies that are really into them. Personally I'm a mustang guy and live and die by mod motors lmao. Coyote FTW.
View Quote

I'm brand agnostic, save for my hatred of all junk FCA (minus the SRT division), I just know Subaru has never been reliable once any power is added to anything near a stock drivetrain.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Those little cars aren't safe. I tried to talk a friend out of one, but she HAD to have it (It's cute, ya know?). A parkinglot wreck has left her with nerve damage, now. Sucks.

The SLK350 is okay. I stomped one when I had my 370Z, but the guy looked like he was having fun, lol! The AMG 55 is a much meaner animal.

Cost to do brakes, cost to service transmission, and typical service intervals and costs thereof.

A co-worker of mine had a 500 series MB once, 2013. She got rid of it fast. MB is MONEY. No matter how cheap you get INTO it, lol!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea cruising at hwy speeds I keep thinking just slightly better off than a motorcycle!

I love the slks but also the 370’s

Also test drive crossfires when new (slk pretty much)

I know MB has that a,b, c service and it’s not cheap. I normally do my own brakes (gave for porche, vw, audi, fiat and Subaru)

Any negatives on 370z? I really like it better than 350z in looks / size.

I do love the idea and size of the abarth (and wife likes them) but they are a budget made car.

I do want something unique now to (no mustangs) and like that about the fiats and 370z
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Not to bump somebody else's thread, but goddamn you can get a300 hp CAMRY now?
http://www.toyota.com/camry/2020/features/mpg/2549

what the fuck is the world coming to?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Focus ST
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yea cruising at hwy speeds I keep thinking just slightly better off than a motorcycle!

I know MB has that a,b, c service and it’s not cheap. I normally do my own brakes (gave for porche, vw, audi, fiat and Subaru)

I do love the idea and size of the abarth (and wife likes them) but they are a budget made car.

I do want something unique now to (no mustangs) and like that about the fiats and 370z
View Quote

The 370Z is very dated, but that's not all bad. Nissan has worked out all the kinks for the most part. Aftermarket support is crazy for them, so lots of room for improvement if you want. And they are supposedly coming out with a new Z next year with a new engine. That probably translates to a lot of dedicated Z owners dumping their old for new here soon, so you may find some good deals. Just do your due diligence if you buy used, those guys usually aren't babying them, or they are straight up drifting/beating the dog snot out of them.

Also, I'm starting to see Infiniti Q50's with low miles coming down into the $20k realm or below. You can do some pretty wild things with those VR30DDTT engines with a few bolt-ons and a tune. It's also the same engine they are rumored to be putting in the new Z as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Honestly wasnt a fan of my 370z. I had a 2012 with every option possible, and a manual. I'd rather have a 2017+ 5.0gt any day of the week. Hell, I like my cx5 turbo more than my 370z, even if its slower. The 370 just...I dunno. It wasnt very Japanese, and it sucked at pretending to be American. Dunno if that makes sense.

Netagives:

Mpg like a v8, power like a v6
No rebound control, very stiff and bouncy. Maybe that got fixed in 13.
Transmission ground on cold wet days for the first few shifts. Notchy otherwise.
$40k for 280whp is a raw deal today.
Exhaust note stock is weak. With aftermarket cbe, annoying.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top