Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:28:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn. I wish I could remember.

There was a guy that bought, or was given a run down Ducati.  It may have even been a monster.  We had a long discussion on arfcom about the ECM and the red key.

He ended up getting it taken care of, which sounded easier than I had thought.  Atill, it coat some money and time.

Did you try ducati.ms yet?  It's the arfcom of Ducati.
View Quote
just registered.

I'm wondering if its worth it to just disable the immobilizer vs paying the coin for a new redkey / card combo

Other than making new black keys, is the red key needed for anything else? Any diagnostic things?
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 4:06:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Damn. I wish I could remember.

There was a guy that bought, or was given a run down Ducati.  It may have even been a monster.  We had a long discussion on arfcom about the ECM and the red key.

He ended up getting it taken care of, which sounded easier than I had thought.  Atill, it coat some money and time.

Did you try ducati.ms yet?  It's the arfcom of Ducati.
View Quote
Was this the discussion?

from the archive

Ducati
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

just registered.

I'm wondering if its worth it to just disable the immobilizer vs paying the coin for a new redkey / card combo

Other than making new black keys, is the red key needed for anything else? Any diagnostic things?
View Quote
Nope.

Just keep it in your files with the title.

No need to disable the immobilizer unless you don't have your keys.  Just ride and enjoy.

I was just working on my two Ducs today...love those things!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was this the discussion?

from the archive

Ducati
View Quote
No.  It was a thread prior to this one.  The guy had bought a monster for like 1700 bucks but I don't think he had any keys.

Good call posting this thread though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:52:28 AM EDT
[#5]
So from what I'm getting, the red key is only needed for programming other black keys. Key card is needed if immobilizer borks and / or new key is needed

It looks like I can get the key cloned by a locksmith near me for a reasonable price.

So am I crazy in thinking just to send the ECU out to get the immobilizer disabled, have several spare black key's cut, and go about my merry way?

The bike is parked in a garage when I'm not riding it, and I'm thinking about picking up a brake lock for when I'm out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope you're not crazy.   The bike doesn't automatically throw up a neon sign that says immobilizer disabled when you do it.   If somebody determined wants to steal your bike they will steal it.

The only thing that changes is what they can do with it after it's stolen.   Now they will be able to joy ride the damn thing till they get caught or dump it,   prior they could only part it out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 12:57:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I also need to find some new turn signals for the thing. The ones that came with it are huge orange things that are atrocious
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also need to find some new turn signals for the thing. The ones that came with it are huge orange things that are atrocious
View Quote
Look at Rizoma.  They make some really cool signals that are small, but effective.  Plus, they are well designed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
How's the bike, OP? Good buy?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#10]
@grey50beast

He had the thread about new keys, I think.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I ended up using TunerPro and IAWwriter and IAWreader to hack my ECU. Total cost was $17 for cables plus I donated a bit to the program creators.

I was able to download the hex file and reflash the ECU sans immobilizer.

I bought my '03 620 dark with no keys for $350. It cranked right up after the reflash.

Also as for keys, mine has none. I bought a rfid switch and it only starts when rfid key tag is near it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Yessssss.

That's awesome you were able to install a rfid switch. Cool
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ended up using TunerPro and IAWwriter and IAWreader to hack my ECU. Total cost was $17 for cables plus I donated a bit to the program creators.

I bought my '03 620 dark with no keys for $350. It cranked right up after the reflash.

Also as for keys, mine has none. I bought a rfid switch and it only starts when rfid key tag is near it.
View Quote
Whoa. Awesome all the way around.  
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:23:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How's the bike, OP? Good buy?
View Quote
It's a sweet ride

We've only had a few nice days that matched up with my work schedule to be able to go for a ride. I'm not at the point yet of being comfortable enough to ride night time rush hour on the highway home, so for now its just a day off mid day kind of ride.

The previous owner is gave me a set of front and rear led turn signals with the bike. Biggest issue i'm having right now is forgetting to turn off the turn signals The ones to install have little blue flashers on the back of the turn signal that are bright enough to remind me to shut them off

It rides well, its light and it does not like to be run under 3k rpm . Heavy vibration, jerky, etc if I'm in too tall a gear at low speed. Engine does not like to be dogged like that.

Still going to get a locksmith to cut me a few new keys with the rfid tag in them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Also as for keys, mine has none. I bought a rfid switch and it only starts when rfid key tag is near it
View Quote
i need more info on this, because that sounds like a brilliant idea
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i need more info on this, because that sounds like a brilliant idea
View Quote
Your frien', China

I have something similar.  It's basically an on/off ignition switch with RFID tag.  It's not as foolproof as the factory immobi(it locks out the ecu), because someone that spent enough time could get past the switch and start the bike.

If someone goes through that much trouble, they'll either part out your bike and not care about starting it, or they can do what I did and delete the immobi entirely.

Pretty gangster IMO though.  I plan on rewiring and neatening up my dash this winter so I'll snag some pics of m layout.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top