Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 4:56:53 PM EDT
There are a couple of bikes that I'm interested in:

2016 KTM 1290 SA.  1400 miles. For sale at a local dealer.  Full bags, looks very clean. $14k

2014 Ducati MS 1200 GT S.  1220 miles.  For sale by local owner.  Clean.  All three cases.  First service already done. $13k

I have an older Multi 1000DS, so it makes sense to go for the newer version.  It's Originally $22k new so that's a huge hit for the owner.  The KTM is Originally around $20k new.

I like the utilitarian approach to the KTM.  However, I won't be doing much off road riding.  I'll leave that for an enduro bike.

I would use the bike for commuting to work (20mi) and work/coach travel around the state of Florida.

Any thoughts?  Anyone been on either/both of these bikes?  I'd love to see what you have to say.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
mostly road, Multi.

Katoom wants dirt
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the two, I personally feel that the Multi is the sportier of them, though the power of the KTM was addictive with all of the nannies turned off. I'd rather go long distance on the SA.

Th KTM SA isn't nearly as dirt oriented as the 1290 SA-R, which is what I'm really leaning towards at the moment
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't ridden the KTM, but a friend owns a Strada (as well as a Streetfighter and Diavel) and the Strada is one of the most pleasant bikes I've ever ridden on the highway. It was a pure pleasure. He's upgraded everything (exhaust, carbon fiber parts, etc) and I could have got into it for a good deal, but ended-up picking up a Triumph Tiger 800 XCx because I wanted something that I could handle (and pickup) easier in the dirt. Still... the Multi haunts me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have owned may bikes. I bought 9 alone this year. IMO if KTM is a choice then KTM is the answer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 6:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The KTM is still tempting for sure.  

However, I did spot a 2016 MTS that is brand new for $14,000 at a dealer 50 miles away instead of the 2014 MTS with 1200 miles for $13,000 in town...

I may have to run up and check it out. Looks like they are clearing out their 2016s.  This is a MTS 1200 S GT as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top