Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 5:25:05 PM EDT
My current ride is a 2017 R1200GS with the power port built in. I have been riding longer distances and exploring farther on the back roads and rural highways now that I have more time and I have been using the phone for GPS short term. I just can't bring myself to pay for the NAV VI. The phone lasts about three hours on a single charge if I don't have anything else running in the background. I am currently using Scenic that allows the user to download maps to minimize background refreshing. It works very well for a free app.

Also looking at better mounting options. Right now I just zip tie it to factory GPS prep. It works until I decide where I want to spend my money.

Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Slipgrip handlebar mount specific to my phone and its OtterBox Commuter case...

They're available in multiple configurations for most common phones and brand name cases. Also, when I buy a new phone or new case, I can simply order a new cradle for the phone and reuse the clamp.

When/if I need to charge it, I have a 12v power port with a USB adapter and short slinky cord.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Have this one from Amazon Linky on my KLR 650 and it's been flawless. 4000 reviews, 4.5 starts, about $12
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
On my R1200RT I'm using the Ram X mount attached to the Ram Mount Motorcycle brake/clutch reservoir ball.

https://goo.gl/TbgmHY

Works perfectly, and it's a very solid mount.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was on my Honda Shadow, I used a RAM Mount (with the clamp claw thing) for my smartphone.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Ram x mount here too. Love it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you all. That Ram X mount has been the number one contender so far. I am thinking I will remove the factory BMW GPS cradle and harness and leave the bar. I was looking at that RAM claw mount but the bar is only 13mm. I think if I put a piece of rubber around the bar, the claw should hold. Finding a mount that I can use without taking the phone out of the Otterbox Defender has been the biggest problem. That Roam and Slipgrip may work as well and save a few dollars at the same time. I was hoping to keep it behind the windscreen as much as possible.

@Stasher: May I ask what brand was the USB adapter? It seems like everyone I look at has mixed reviews with them falling apart or not charging properly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Stasher: May I ask what brand was the USB adapter? It seems like everyone I look at has mixed reviews with them falling apart or not charging properly.
View Quote
This is the one I've been using for a while now with no problems, but I use a cheap slinky cord from Microcenter so it's not flapping in the breeze. I have another just like it in my truck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZ8JG5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_vKv3zbHXA277N

Before buying these, I just bought whatever was reasonably priced at Microcenter and kept spares in the tool tray under the seat, tank bag, panniers, etc. One of them was bound to work.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Ram mount + this cradle (tried the X-mount, phone wouldn't stay put in it).

Charging port on the fairing. I use some handi-tack putty around the connector to dampen vibration and keep water out (phone is water proof).
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a RAM mount.  It works okay.  My biggest complaint is getting the phone in and out of it with gloves on is fiddly.  Not so much the X arms themselves, but the rubber restrainer that hooks on the corners.  That's nearly impossible to put on with gloves on.   So yes, i can take my gloves off, but that's just a hassle i'd rather not deal with.

Look up Rokform if you have a chance.  Yes, you have to buy a specific case, but they're nice cases, and the mount is good.  I'm contemplating moving to this, if it's got enough reach to clear my tank bag.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
You may be better off putting a cheap gps unit in the mount instead.  Pretty sure that I don’t want my expensive iPhone sitting out in the elements.  I have a TomTom rider that I use.  I wanted something that I could use without taking off my gloves, I also wanted Bluetooth navigation.  But a cheap Magellan or Garmin would work.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You may be better off putting a cheap gps unit in the mount instead.  Pretty sure that I don’t want my expensive iPhone sitting out in the elements.  I have a TomTom rider that I use.  I wanted something that I could use without taking off my gloves, I also wanted Bluetooth navigation.  But a cheap Magellan or Garmin would work.
View Quote
Along those lines, my suggestion: buy a cheap rugged Kyocera and use it as dedicated GPS. Don't bother putting a SIM in it, and deactivate the cellular antennas. Download maps (apps and map data) over WiFi, then turn off WiFi so it's only running GPS. Super cheap, super effective. You get a real GPS that's rugged, waterproof, and provides a whole bunch of different mapping options - all at a low price point. Big thread all about it on ADV.

Personal anecdote: Was recently on a trip along with my parents. My dad's got some fancy multi-hundred-dollar Garmin on his FJR. I have a $70 Kyocera on my Tenere. Guess which unit we found we could rely on when things didn't go according to plan (detours, missed turns, etc.)? Yes, my "nav-phone". Hell, he said the Garmin didn't even show the alternate "Business" branch of a US highway we were on at one point.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
The cheap phone gps is a pretty good idea. I wouldn’t have to worry about destroying my primary cell. I looked at cheaper gps like the nuvi but, I’m not sure how well they would hold up compared to something like the Kyocera duroforce or the blu tank.

I would like something I could use with gloves. It’s a PIA to take them off everytime I want to do something. I was looking at touchscreen capable gloves on revzilla - another ~ $100.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:03:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would like something I could use with gloves. It’s a PIA to take them off everytime I want to do something. I was looking at touchscreen capable gloves on revzilla - another ~ $100.
View Quote
Only problem operating mine with gloves on (and I don't have special gloves) is accuracy, but not much you can do about that. I'm actually considering getting a cheap, tiny stylus and tying it to the bar for use on long trips.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Only problem operating mine with gloves on (and I don't have special gloves) is accuracy, but not much you can do about that. I'm actually considering getting a cheap, tiny stylus and tying it to the bar for use on long trips.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I commute via bike (motorcycle), and run into this problem constantly. I have a few pair of gloves with touchscreen capable fingertips, but they really don't work all that well most of the time. I bought a pack of tiny styli from Amazon and they're proving to be functional in certain circumstances. I can bang out a quick (very short) text at a light or start/stop my music app, but it's definitely less than ideal. Might actually be better off with a full-size stylus.

These are the ones I bought. Cord works well to keep it attached to my phone mount.

http://a.co/8MrwzS7
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#15]
This is what you want to allow your gloves to work like your finger tips.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow. I spent some time reading all of the threads in ADV about this and it seems like this is the way to go. There are several brands and models out there that will fit the bill. Forget paying $500-1000 for TomTom or NAV VI. I've been shopping around and the prices are considerably cheaper but, I am not sure how I feel about buying a used cell phone from Ebay. Looking for new.

For power, I ordered the Powerlet SAE plug and the Battery tender SAE to USB adapter. They say I can use the outlet for the battery charger as well but, the bike came with a charging connection installed already. I just need to find a way that I like to get one these mounts solidly connected to that 13mm bar.

OMSAND+ looks a little sketchy but, I have had good luck with Scenic and importing routes from Google Maps or Furkot. That may change when I need to plan a longer trip. Right now, I mostly need something for situational/positional awareness when riding out in the middle of nowhere and everything looks the same. With a basic sense of direction, it's pretty hard to get lost in south Florida.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow. I spent some time reading all of the threads in ADV about this and it seems like this is the way to go. There are several brands and models out there that will fit the bill. Forget paying $500-1000 for TomTom or NAV VI. I've been shopping around and the prices are considerably cheaper but, I am not sure how I feel about buying a used cell phone from Ebay. Looking for new.

For power, I ordered the Powerlet SAE plug and the Battery tender SAE to USB adapter. They say I can use the outlet for the battery charger as well but, the bike came with a charging connection installed already. I just need to find a way that I like to get one these mounts solidly connected to that 13mm bar.

OMSAND+ looks a little sketchy but, I have had good luck with Scenic and importing routes from Google Maps or Furkot. That may change when I need to plan a longer trip. Right now, I mostly need something for situational/positional awareness when riding out in the middle of nowhere and everything looks the same. With a basic sense of direction, it's pretty hard to get lost in south Florida.
View Quote
I've been running a sacrificial waterproof phone as a GPS for years, it works great. I bought a used Kyocera Wave for $50 off fleabay, put it in airplane mode, and it works great. A 32gig micro SD and you have a very powerful GPS unit that needs no data, just a view of the sky.

I do a TON of routing/exploring and writing routes, I could probably write a book on my experiences with these apps and GPS units.

I've tried every app known to man, extensively, take it from me that LocusPro is the best option that exists. It's like OsmAnd but looks better, has more features, and a neater/easier interface. Free mapping from a ton of sources, offline storage, you can do routing, turn-by-turn, or use tracks for top-down offroad like Garmin offroad units, too. Also one of the very few that seamlessly imports Basecamp and .gpx color-marked tracks and waypoints (OsmAnd does not), so it's wonderful for sharing or using other people's routes and tracks.

One of the other primo benefits of doing this is you can seamlessly bounce between two different GPS programs even mid-ride. I use TomTom Mobile a lot too, because for address lookup and routing, it's hard to beat for city navigating. But, Locus is better for touring. So, it's great to just switch between the two, you can't do that with a $800 Garmin unit, but a cheap phone can easily use 4 or 5 different options, plus it's a computer, media player, calculator or whatever else you want it to be.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
So I have an old Samsung S3 that works fine. I can download maps and use as GPS?
Is there an app I need?

I could go over to ADV but man, those threads get long, fast.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:45:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So I have an old Samsung S3 that works fine. I can download maps and use as GPS?
Is there an app I need?

I could go over to ADV but man, those threads get long, fast.
View Quote
Yes, that will work. Don't need data or even a SIM card in it. Just the phone, hopefully it's got enough internal memory to hold the maps (they can get big, 4-8 gig in some cases) or an external SD slot.

All you need is access to wi-fi to download the progs, signed in to your Google account, and you're in business. Put it in airplane mode and it won't look for data or cell service, and you're off to the races. (make sure you turn on location services tho to activate the GPS).

As I mentioned above, LocusPro is a fantastic GPS app, there's also a slew of other ones that have offline data that vary from free and kludgy to $$ and decent. The cool thing with programs like Locus Pro is you can download a bunch of maps, from street to Topo or USGS maps, so it can be handy not just on road but off or even hiking/biking.

The Locus Pro paid maps (which are only a few bucks) have turn-by-turn routable navigation. 
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I just put velcro on the back of my phone, the scratchy velcro back on the bike, had no worries about losing it.  I think the vibration probably shortened the life of the phone, however.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been using a RAM X-Mount for years. Its super simple. I have never used that rubber retainer strap pictured above. Just put the phone in the X mount and go. I have crashed with a phone in one and it didn't come out.
For power I installed a dual usb outlet in the dash area. Cigarette plugs are sub-optimal on a bike. They vibrate loose too easily.  The powerlet/bmw plugs are supposed to be awesome but I have never used one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Have a GSA and a XR...for power, I use this:

DIN / USB Plug

Have the RAM X-Mount on both.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top