Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/17/2017 10:57:55 AM EDT

Last registered in 2000 (or maybe 2010), been sitting at the ranch since 2015 at least. I gave $500 for it. So much mice mess.

New battery, futzing with crappy alarm wiring and it started right up to load onto the trailer.

Gimme ideas and gotchas for these. I can hear a ujoint clicking somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice. I have a 94 with 225k on it. They are beasts. Need to grease all the grease spots. AC unit had my mechanic friend losing his mind. Check out ih8mud forums for ALL things pop, thud, and whirrrr (Land Cruiser specific). I painted the wheels with plasti-dip, looks great. Below is when I bought it. ETA: Also had rear main seal done, the trans is so big I had to take it to a diesel truck mechanic. Look for leaks.

Attachment Attached File

And now with painted wheels

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
93 and up is an FZJ80. Does it have locking differentials? Big round switch to the left of the steering wheel. If you don't have it, there will just be a blank square of black plastic in the dash.

Grease all the zerks on the driveshafts and see if the clicking sound goes away.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
No lockers.

Working on bonded title for it right now before I throw any money at mechanicals.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Rebuild the birfs, overhaul the cooling system, OME lift, tires and install lockers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 10:39:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rebuild the birfs, overhaul the cooling system, OME lift, tires and install lockers.
View Quote
Thanks for giving me a lead on what to call those front axle joints. I had no idea. Is there a way to simply grease them without taking it apart (i.e. to get it to the inspection station)?

Regarding the cooling system, anything specific?

This thing at this point won't be on anything more technical than texas backroads, so no need for lift and lockers.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks for giving me a lead on what to call those front axle joints. I had no idea. Is there a way to simply grease them without taking it apart (i.e. to get it to the inspection station)?

Regarding the cooling system, anything specific?

This thing at this point won't be on anything more technical than texas backroads, so no need for lift and lockers.
View Quote
Go sign up at Ih8mud
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Go sign up at Ih8mud
View Quote
Bookmarked, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, ih8mud is the best resource for anything Land Cruiser. Do a bunch of reading in the 80 series FAQs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:43:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Jess let me know if you need any help with the bonded title. I've done a few on bikes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Front birfield joints start clicking or popping when going bad, rebuild them or replace with chromoly ones if you are planning on running a big tire. Id bet the front axle seals are shot and have leaked gear oil into the front hubs. Plan on rebuilding them too. Not expensive, just messy and time consuming.

As for the coolant system, check the radiator and pain in the ass heater hose connections. They all leak with age.

It will always leak oil, if its not leaking there is no oil in it

Also, I hate you. I wish I could find a 500$ 80 series.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jess let me know if you need any help with the bonded title. I've done a few on bikes.
View Quote
Thanks dino. My insurance company does them. $100 for it. Getting it inspected I think will throw me surprises.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Front birfield joints start clicking or popping when going bad, rebuild them or replace with chromoly ones if you are planning on running a big tire. Id bet the front axle seals are shot and have leaked gear oil into the front hubs. Plan on rebuilding them too. Not expensive, just messy and time consuming.

As for the coolant system, check the radiator and pain in the ass heater hose connections. They all leak with age.

View Quote
We had hell with the rear axle seals on my 2000 4runner. They had to do it 3x to get it right.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Insurance company came through with surety bond and cheap liability insurance. Next stop, inspection station.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Any suggestions for removing mouse pee smell?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard of leaving a bowl of vinegar in the vehicle overnight. I've also heard of scrubbing the carpet with baking soda. Haven't tried them myself though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Scrub everything you can, then rent an ozone generator.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
In regards to the smell. Rent an extractor from a tool rental place and clean the hell out of it. Then let it run for a few hours with the heat on high with a window fracked for several hours to dry it out. That's what I have always done and it works awesome.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Have 2 issues with it mechanically.

1) at idle, something will click and it will stall out, then catch and resume running. The clicking is coming from behind the panel to the left of the foot rest, kind of like a relay. I removed everything I could find relating to the aftermarket alarm (including the relay for the ignition), but maybe there is something I missed?

2) after it warms up, it produces white smoke. It's not sweet. It's not oily. Ideas?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
AC compressor cycling?

Test coolant for signs of head gasket leak, but could be leaking injector causing smoke. Check the wire harness and see if there is any damage under the hood.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#20]
You could strip the interior and pull the carpet and take it to a car wash.

I've heard of people doing that for chevy trucks. Their carpet is very. Polyestery so it cleans well
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
AC compressor cycling?

Test coolant for signs of head gasket leak, but could be leaking injector causing smoke. Check the wire harness and see if there is any damage under the hood.
View Quote
AC turned off. Clicking inside cab, relay. Didn't do it today.

Def not coolant. Checked that again today.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice score.  I would just pull the p1ss and $h1t soaked carpet and replace it. I've had bad experiences with trying to clean...rather than replace carpet that contains animal urine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cutpile-801-Black-Complete-Carpet-Molded-for-1991-97-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-/231153271965?fits=Year%3A1995%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3ALand+Cruiser&hash=item35d1cf049d:g:8wQAAOSwJ7RYV5I3&vxp=mtr
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice score.  I would just pull the p1ss and $h1t soaked carpet and replace it. I've had bad experiences with trying to clean...rather than replace carpet that contains animal urine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cutpile-801-Black-Complete-Carpet-Molded-for-1991-97-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-/231153271965?fits=Year%3A1995%7CMake%3AToyota%7CModel%3ALand+Cruiser&hash=item35d1cf049d:g:8wQAAOSwJ7RYV5I3&vxp=mtr
View Quote
That is an option. Expensive option tho on a $500 vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
You can get someone's take out carpet pretty cheap from the "parting out" classifieds on 'mud.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can get someone's take out carpet pretty cheap from the "parting out" classifieds on 'mud.
View Quote
x2. I'm sure you can get a cheaper carpet than what I posted.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
At the end of the day, it's a <$1k Land Cruiser. I'd spend the bare minimum on getting it running well and plenty of soap, water and elbow grease to de-funk it. Lift, tires and lockers, then wheel the piss out of it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

At the end of the day, it's a <$1k Land Cruiser. I'd spend the bare minimum on getting it running well and plenty of soap, water and elbow grease to de-funk it. Lift, tires and lockers, then wheel the piss out of it.
View Quote
I agree. My first thought was "just yank the carpet out and coat the floor with that cheap store bought bed liner stuff."
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I drove it to the shop to get it inspected. White smoke got strong for a bit, then went away about half way there. Maybe there was crap pooled up in the exhaust that needed blowing out. Passed emissions inspection this AM with flying colors.

Definitely needs ujoints/birfields and bushings.

Getting better by the day leaving the windows open and febreezing the hell out of it. Yanking the carpet will prob be my next move.

Also, both bucket power front seats will do everything except move forward/backward. Guess I need to figure that out.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:15:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I drove it to the shop to get it inspected. White smoke got strong for a bit, then went away about half way there. Maybe there was crap pooled up in the exhaust that needed blowing out. Passed emissions inspection this AM with flying colors.

Getting better by the day leaving the windows open and febreezing the hell out of it. Yanking the carpet will prob be my next move.

Also, both bucket power front seats will do everything except move forward/backward. Guess I need to figure that out.
View Quote
Just to be safe, I would keep an eye on the coolant level.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Just to be safe, I would keep an eye on the coolant level.
View Quote
Willdo, thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Try cleaning the contacts. I can tell you that I wish I never pulled the carpet on my 60. It fell to pieces and I had hell getting it out. I've got a local shop that will put the "shine" on my Cruiser for $120. That's money well spent in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#32]
registration done.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can confirm that it's leaking on both sides on to the wheels. Looks like I'm in for a long weekend at some point.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 8:32:36 PM EDT
[#34]
White smoke used to mean a bad modulator valve (transmission).
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 8:07:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your seat gears need to be replaced. While you have the seats out to fix them, it's not much more work to pull the carpet and scrub it.

http://www.gamiviti.com/seatparts/
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Is this the one that was on craigslist?  I came so close to picking it up.  Just to worried about a $500 Land Cruiser eating my wallet to make right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
FALSE!

I replaced my distributor seal, oil pump cover seal, and front main seal.
It was completely leak free for the next 12,000 miles!

OP, you're getting good advice. I'll add that you should track down a copy of the factory shop manual. There is a PDF for a '96 floating around the net. You might be able to get a copy at ih8mud.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Is this the one that was on craigslist?  I came so close to picking it up.  Just to worried about a $500 Land Cruiser eating my wallet to make right.
View Quote
Nope.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Get her running good and a rear locker would make that a beast.

Nice score
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Tagged for interest
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 5:53:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice score!  

Those things are the Tacoma of the PI.  You can literally get $20k for one.

Ih8mud will give you lots of ideas.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:51:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nice score!  

View Quote
How much to ship it there? ;)
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice score!  

I think a container from Oakland to here is like $3k maybe?  

Getting it through customs and registered doe...
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Ujoint not supposed to look like this.. Ordered ujoints.

And then, realized yoke was egged out and had to order salvage driveshaft from ebay.

ETA: driving it a bit with the center diff locked, pulled the fuse, with no front driveshaft.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#45]
original tires were shit - both hard, lopsided and I took a chunk out of a sidewall with the trailer.

Bought ok used BFG AT tires on tacoma wheels. Think it looks good with black rims.

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#46]
and it still stinks bad, but mostly like febreeze.

I think birfs are ok, but brakes are shit. Ordered the axle rebuild kit. Need to get rotors and pads and do it all at once.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Ahhh, the joys of Land Cruiser ownership.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Scrub everything you can, then rent an ozone generator.
View Quote
Yup, or just buy an ionizer, about $30 on amazon.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
The worm drive gears and plastic caps for the seats are fucked, $40 fix here:
http://www.gamiviti.com/seatparts
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Good score dude!

Might want to check to see if the sunroof leaks
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top