Looks nice for a Harley?..
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:43:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks nice for a Harley?..
View Quote
They already finished the Harloti "blended edition" (final production):

I bet we see it at the Laguna SBK event.

On a more serious note, I hope Ducati have this one figured out better than the Panigale.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]
As the Pani was full retard, this thing should be beyond insane.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 10:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
i may have to own one.  

or i may buy a nice used 1198s.  i love the L twin thump and dry clutch clank
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Neva been dun befoa -
View Quote
And to top it off, people were always going on about how Honda was going to be the first ever street-legal GP bike (with rumors for years, and now with the actual RC213V-S). I was always, "guys, Ducati already did that".
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Meh as a Duc fan, they are going to ruin the name...

Im old school. I miss my 900SL.

I need to find an 888 or 851.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Serious?  Look at it:

My 1 gripe concerns the rumor that the street version may be a 1200 cc variant instead of sticking to 1000 cc format across the board. That would make it a little heavier, & the latter would make more than sufficient power in a 4 cylinder format.  Don't do it, Ducati.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I did,,,it looks like every other kawi-honda-suzuki-yamaha out there...im sure its function over form.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did,,,it looks like every other kawi-honda-suzuki-yamaha out there...im sure its function over form.
View Quote
Which one of the big 4 runs a V4 SBK with a single side swingearm in a monocoque chassis?  So Ducati is no longer Ducati because they added +2 more cylinders (for functional/performance reasons & also regulatory changes by Dorna).  HD is what happens when a company rests on its laurels & doesn't try to anticipate change & adapt to it, or try to create or expand its market.

Can't wait to see the it race WSBK in 2019.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#11]
i miss the dry clutch clank
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Which one of the big 4 runs a V4 SBK with a single side swingearm in a monocoque chassis?  So Ducati is no longer Ducati because they added +2 more cylinders (for functional/performance reasons & also regulatory changes by Dorna).  HD is what happens when a company rests on its laurels & doesn't try to anticipate change & adapt to it, or try to create or expand its market.

Can't wait to see the it race WSBK in 2019.
View Quote
your talking mechanics. Im talking looks..the front end looks like very other super bike out there. mechanically, its a total different animal.

Im a big duc fan, have owned 3 (900 SL, M900, 916)
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:27:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

your talking mechanics. Im talking looks..the front end looks like very other super bike out there. mechanically, its a total different animal.

Im a big duc fan, have owned 3 (900 SL, M900, 916)
View Quote
You don'the think those aspects affect the appearance?  It's not just about ABS/CF bodywork.

Thus far, the universal opinions I've been seeing on forums & media sites have likened its appearance to a beefed up Panigale.  Yours is the 1st comment I've read stating otherwise.  Again, different strokes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#14]
To each their own for sure. Im a big fan of the 888, 851 and 900 Super light / super sports. Just the same as I like the twin headlight FZR and the 86-87 GSXRs.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Jeezus.  You guys are never happy.

Change is hard.

As bad as the big twin air cooled Harley guys.  LOL.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Jeezus.  You guys are never happy.

Change is hard.

As bad as the big twin air cooled Harley guys.  LOL.
View Quote
actually I hate change,,so there's that...lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

actually I hate change,,so there's that...lol.
View Quote
And I am qualified to judge.  Owned five Hogs and Three Ducks.
LOL.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To each their own for sure. Im a big fan of the 888, 851 and 900 Super light / super sports. Just the same as I like the twin headlight FZR and the 86-87 GSXRs.
View Quote
Do you prefer the trellis chassis?  Did the Panigale not do it for you, either?

The big 4 make good bikes, but their styling depts have been doing some "curious" stuff, though they appear to be trying lately.

This new bike looks fetching (IMO), even in its mule state.  I hope they won't restrict the 1000 cc engine to the R model.  Also hope they continue to tighten up QC some more.  The Panigale has had some posted issues that $20+K should probably take care of straight from the factory, though it is steps up from the previous models in this area.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Double post.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:06:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I dunno man, I've ridden a 1299 Panigale S in anger and if this is the way forward for them I'm all for it.

Compared to the hopped up 1098s that another friend has, it's like diamonds and gravel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:13:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm getting nostalgic in my old age for the bikes of my youth too, but having never gotten out of riding it's easy to say that while the Good Ol Days were "good", today is pretty fine too. Those bikes are dinosaurs by today's standards, and the people buying Panigales and this new 4 cylinder deserve to have something as clean sheet as those racy-looking FZR's were in 1990.

Mine was a California model (single seat, exup valve) black and metallic grey FZR-400. I miss that bike but I never want to ride it again because my expectation of a motorcycle has changed and I have changed as a rider. What would have been a fantastic bike back then would be a real snooze fest today with definite handling deficiencies.

Some people clamor for a street legal motoGP bike, some people clamor for aging designs they claim are classic. I prefer waterproof electrics (which Ducati didn't have until the 916 came out) and bikes that don't need timing belts every 7500 miles or they grenade motors... I'm happy with what Ducati is doing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#22]
drop that motor into a sexy trellis type frame, get rid off all the fairings and please do something with those 2 boxy bottom mounted mufflers and price it under $20k and I would be hard pressed to not bite.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
drop that motor into a sexy trellis type frame, get rid off all the fairings and please do something with those 2 boxy bottom mounted mufflers and price it under $20k and I would be hard pressed to not bite.
View Quote
Being that this is a racing oriented model, trellis frames can't handle the stresses of contemporary racing, & their flex characteristics are inconsistent from 1 unit to the next.  Extruded frames don't have those issues.

I'm sure a street orient design will eventually get a version of that motor, too, though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:42:23 PM EDT
[#24]
What is the brown cylindrical thing in the original photo?  It's on the right side above the rider's heel.  It looks to be leather.

Also, would the production mufflers also look like those black boxes beneath the frame?  It is interesting how not having a big chrome pipe cleans up the appearance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is the brown cylindrical thing in the original photo?  It's on the right side above the rider's heel.  It looks to be leather.

Also, would the production mufflers also look like those black boxes beneath the frame?  It is interesting how not having a big chrome pipe cleans up the appearance.
View Quote
Looks to be a crude, pre-production heat shield.  Looks like copper or another tarnished alloy to me...

Seems like most of the sportbike manufacturers are going with the Buell-esque underslung exhaust nowadays - better mass centraliztion, and it's easier to hide the HUGE catalysts that bikes require nowadays.  The US-spec Panigale had that type of exhaust as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Looks to be a crude, pre-production heat shield.  Looks like copper or another tarnished alloy to me...

Seems like most of the sportbike manufacturers are going with the Buell-esque underslung exhaust nowadays - better mass centraliztion, and it's easier to hide the HUGE catalysts that bikes require nowadays.  The US-spec Panigale had that type of exhaust as well.
View Quote

It's a heat shield.  Rear shock reservoir is to the left.

Ducati is able to tuck the muffler the muffler in tighter because of the single sided swing arm, which itself trades flex performance characteristics for better mass packaging.

Aesthetically, this thing rocks.  My concern with Ducati is in the area of QC & certain design features that seemingly eschew established best practices out of a desire to be "different" (eg. Panigale oil filter).  I'd like to think they would be brave enough to learn from tthe past in designing this one, but I suspect I'm being too optimistic.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:55:25 AM EDT
[#27]
get those pipes up under the seat.  come on Ducati.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Almost certainly it's a heat shield of sorts.  

Another question, what is it wrapped around.  Is that a charcoal canister?  It looks to be piped into the muffler in some way.  I am confused by this ugly object..
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296599/Ducati-1299-Panigale-R-Final-Edition-45-274733.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296599/Ducati-1299-Panigale-R-Final-Edition-45-274733.JPG
That would be the ticket.

Quoted:
Almost certainly it's a heat shield of sorts.  

Another question, what is it wrapped around.  Is that a charcoal canister?  It looks to be piped into the muffler in some way.  I am confused by this ugly object..
That loop is the exhaust exiting from the rear cylinder bank.  The exhaust volume needs to be equal between all the cylinders, so, for the bellypan muffler config they're going for,  the rear pipes need to run a loop circuit to have the same volume as the pipes coming off the front cylinders.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That loop is the exhaust exiting from the rear cylinder bank.  The exhaust volume needs to be equal between all the cylinders, so, for the bellypan muffler config they're going for,  the rear pipes need to run a loop circuit to have the same volume as the pipes coming off the front cylinders.
View Quote
OOOOHHH!  I see it now.  It is a loop.  I couldn't make it out but now it makes some sense.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#31]
dear jesus.  i may have to buy one.  

Ducati V4 Superbike First Video and Soundcheck
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Holy fuck, that sounds awesome.

And here I thought my next bike might be a bit more grown up.......
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 8:10:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

And here I thought my next bike might be a bit more grown up.......
View Quote
so did i.  been out of the saddle for 3 years, was going to go w a hyper or something...

but i think i will need one of these
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck underseat pipes.
The most stupid and retarded thing a bike can have.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Like an R1 Crossplane engine on steroids....
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Fuck underseat pipes.
The most stupid and retarded thing a bike can have.
View Quote
This config isn't the same as a full underseat.

ETA, cat's out of the bag.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I suspect someone's going to get their pipes cleaned by "Mario" & "Luigi" over this leak.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Think its gng to be shown at Misano tomorrow
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 6:41:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I suspect someone's going to get their pipes cleaned by "Mario" & "Luigi" over this leak.
View Quote
Doubtful.......they LOVE these leaks, and many are orchestrated to generate buzz.

It's working on me.......I want one!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Doubtful.......they LOVE these leaks, and many are orchestrated to generate buzz.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do like to tease, but the big reveal was supposed to be at Misano tomorrow.  I keep thinking that e-bikes are right around the corner, but then this pops up & puts me on the ropes.  I would still wait a yr or 2, though.  Esp. for the price point.

Rumors has it the next gen S1000RR (~2019) will have a lot of redesign advances, incl. reverse spin crank (surprising Ducati never did this), TFT with on screen GPS, etc.

Pic:

Not as sexy as the Stradale, but not bad.  Aftermarket pipe would clean it up.  I think BMW probably has an edge in the electronic suspension dept with its more open loop Sachs units that sample & adjust damping action 100/sec, compared to the Ohlins units (on the Ducatis & Yamahas) that switch between configured damping operation modes in response to suspension activity.  But the the latter setup apparently operates more consistently, so who am I to say?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#41]
That looks expensive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#42]
That sound! 
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They do like to tease, but the big reveal was supposed to be at Misano tomorrow.  I keep thinking that e-bikes are right around the corner, but then this pops up & puts me on the ropes.  I would still wait a yr or 2, though.  Esp. for the price point.

Rumors has it the next gen S1000RR (~2019) will have a lot of redesign advances, incl. reverse spin crank (surprising Ducati never did this), TFT with on screen GPS, etc.

Pic:

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/2000_1x_/public/images/2017/08/bmw_s1000_rr_003.jpg?itok=YR5JjuJC&fc=50,50

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2017/08/bmw_s1000_rr_006.jpg?itok=9s-1OQTr

http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2017/08/bmw_sxxx_rr_005-2.jpg?itok=7DQMS73p

Not as sexy as the Stradale, but not bad.  Aftermarket pipe would clean it up.  I think BMW probably has an edge in the electronic suspension dept with its more open loop Sachs units that sample & adjust damping action 100/sec, compared to the Ohlins units (on the Ducatis & Yamahas) that switch between configured damping operation modes in response to suspension activity.  But the the latter setup apparently operates more consistently, so who am I to say?
View Quote
I'm sure it will be fast, but if that test mule is anything to go by it won't be the best looking bike out by a long margin.

As for the v4 duck, it looks like a panigale fucked an RSV4... probably not a bike I would ride, and as an R1M owner I'm the target demographic. I've ridden a 1299 Panigale S in anger and could see myself having one of them after the first owner made the usual mods. It's a much easier bike to ride fast than my Yamaha, I don't see the new v4 being more like a panigale than my Yamaha.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm sure it will be fast, but if that test mule is anything to go by it won't be the best looking bike out by a long margin.

As for the v4 duck, it looks like a panigale fucked an RSV4... probably not a bike I would ride, and as an R1M owner I'm the target demographic. I've ridden a 1299 Panigale S in anger and could see myself having one of them after the first owner made the usual mods.  It's a much easier bike to ride fast than my Yamaha, I don't see the new v4 being more like a panigale than my Yamaha.
View Quote
Intruiging.  I thought the R1M would be easier to push than the Panigale.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Caught this little gem:

Crash.net

The road-going version will have a displacement of 1100cc from the V4 producing 210bhp featuring a counter-rotating crank with a twin-pulse firing order, while the racing version will be made with 1000cc in order to meet World Superbike regulations.
View Quote
Been waiting for this MGP feature to finally make it into a production bike.

It also has variable length intake plenums.  They really went the whole distance on this project.

More pics:

Panigale v. Stradale:

ST4 v. Stradale:

I actually like it, but it's getting railed over at ducati1299.com where I found these pics.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Is it just me?  

Either this guy is huge or this is a small bike.  The rider is bigger than the bike.  He looks so cramped.  It looks like he is riding one of those miniature bikes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Caught this little gem:

Been waiting for this MGP feature to finally make it into a production bike.

It also has variable length intake plenums.  They really went the whole distance on this project.

More pics:

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/attachments/img_9451-jpg.96981/
http://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/field/image/Ducati%20Panigale%20V4.jpg
https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/attachments/1-jpg.96985/

Panigale v. Stradale:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJIE4kJXUAAHoLJ.jpg:large

ST4 v. Stradale:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJINeF9W4AYWIeI.jpg

I actually like it, but it's getting railed over at ducati1299.com where I found these pics.
View Quote
Wow...I'd pass out inebriated before that new bike started to look attractive.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
http://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/655_1x_/public/images/2017/08/bmw_s1000_rr_006.jpg?itok=9s-1OQTr

Is it just me?  

Either this guy is huge or this is a small bike.  The rider is bigger than the bike.  He looks so cramped.  It looks like he is riding one of those miniature bikes.
View Quote
lol

I look like that on every bike I ride
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 11:21:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Is it just me?  

View Quote
For comparison:

I'm sure the BMW has been shrunk somewhat, but the rider is a bratwurst bandit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top