Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/19/2017 2:10:42 PM EDT
Somebody had a project car they couldn't finish, my bro basically stole it and is finishing it up

Attachment Attached File

New fenders
Attachment Attached File

Nasty carpet but no major rust
Attachment Attached File

Fancy front end
Attachment Attached File

455, Ross pistons, roller cam, #48 heads and not at all streetable. It's been sold, this one will have an LS.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to the shop
Attachment Attached File

Stripped
Attachment Attached File

Sandblasted
Attachment Attached File

Drying after an Osph phosphate acid wash. This bitch won't rust for about 1,000 years
Attachment Attached File

Next pics will be the front end parts, they have been powder coated black and grey instead of that blue
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice.  My wife stumbled onto a 74 Firebird with 60K original miles from a relative of the dealership owner, who was the original owner.  Needed a lot of gaskets and hoses replaced, but what do you expect on a 40 year old car.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:39:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SShockwave] [#3]
Nice!  Those look like Firebird front fenders unless you plan to use them and cut out the TA air ducts.  Sticking with the shaker hood or going with a factory fiberglass formula ram air snorkel hood?  Which LS engine?  Is that a Heidt's front sub frame?  Is he keeping it a "74" with the 74 nose or using a 70-73 or maybe a 77-78?  

I have a friend with a 77 SE that wants to sell it to me and I keep mentally fighting with myself to buy it and either go stock 400 or go LS3 with pro-toured suspension/brakes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
nice
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _hacker_] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SShockwave:
Nice!  Those look like Firebird front fenders unless you plan to use them and cut out the TA air ducts.  Sticking with the shaker hood or going with a factory fiberglass formula ram air snorkel hood?  Which LS engine?  Is that a Heidt's front sub frame?  Is he keeping it a "74" with the 74 nose or using a 70-73 or maybe a 77-78?  

I have a friend with a 77 SE that wants to sell it to me and I keep mentally fighting with myself to buy it and either go stock 400 or go LS3 with pro-toured suspension/brakes.
View Quote
You're right, those are firebird fenders. We'll probably leave them as-is.

We got a *very* nice 73 nose and formula hood so I thing we're going that route. Doing some studying now to see what it would take to put 73 tail lights and bumper on it now.... Not impossible but shit... The 74 nose was shit on this particular car, busted up and twisted (most likely in a wreck at some point).

It is a heidts subframe. He's getting a GM ls376/480 'connect and cruise's with the auto trans. Decent performance with daily driver ability.

Eta
I'm a bit of a Pontiac fan. I built a decent 455/th400 for mine and it was very expensive. If I had to do it again... I gotta say it's hard to beat technology. Now if you have some numbers matching car by all means keep it Pontiac but if it's been hacked up like this one, might as well make it modern
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By _hacker_:

You're right, those are firebird fenders. We'll probably leave them as-is.

We got a *very* nice 73 nose and formula hood so I thing we're going that route. Doing some studying now to see what it would take to put 73 tail lights and bumper on it now.... Not impossible but shit... The 74 nose was shit on this particular car, busted up and twisted (most likely in a wreck at some point).

It is a heidts subframe. He's getting a GM ls376/480 'connect and cruise's with the auto trans. Decent performance with daily driver ability.

Eta
I'm a bit of a Pontiac fan. I built a decent 455/th400 for mine and it was very expensive. If I had to do it again... I gotta say it's hard to beat technology. Now if you have some numbers matching car by all means keep it Pontiac but if it's been hacked up like this one, might as well make it modern
View Quote
That's cool, I'm a huge TA guy but do agree with going the LS route as building any older tech style engine that isn't a small block chevy is getting to the point where it doesn't make sense dollar per HP when compared to the LS setups.  On this 74, might I make a few suggestions?

1. On the nose and rear bumper/lights, honestly I would keep it 74 as a 74 is one year only car in that having the 74-76 nose but with the smaller back window.  You can spot a 74 immediately because of this.  Also you NEVER see them and in my opinion the 70-73 front is kinda played out similarly to the 70-73 camaro RS nose.  it's everywhere when it used to be no where.

2. Front fenders - get the TA side vents installed or get TA fenders.  If I remember right you can use pretty much all of the TA fenders from 70-81 and if that's an aftermarket fender, a GM fender will fit better.  

3. hood - being a TA you almost have to go shaker and I've seen setups where people have successfully mounted the shaker to the top of a LS engine.  You'll catch a lot of shit for not having the shaker as like the fender flares and side fender vents, it's an integral part of the Trans Am.  

If this is a real verified Trans Am I would leave all of the TA parts and 74 parts on it as they are getting more rare by the day.  Especially since he's spending the level of money he is on it.  If its a Firebird or Formula, do whatever you want, but if TA, keep it TA.  Are you guys going back to white?
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm normally an advocate of LS swaps, but not with Pontiacs. I would have ditched the carb but kept the 455. Poncho power + EFI = awesome.

Not trying to beat up on you though. Either way it looks like a great project.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:19:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _hacker_] [#8]
Thanks guys, its shaping up to be a nice car. We got some t/a fenders and I scored a very nice shaker hood today!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:30:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, its shaping up to be a nice car. We got some t/a fenders and I scored a very nice shaker hood today!!
View Quote
How's the parts availability situation for second gens these days?

Just curious. I haven't looked in a long time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By P400:
I'm normally an advocate of LS swaps, but not with Pontiacs. I would have ditched the carb but kept the 455. Poncho power + EFI = awesome.

View Quote
Plus 1
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
We have had no problems finding sheet metal, TBD on interior pieces though. It's going to need a lot of work there. Just flipping through catalogs it appears we can buy most of what we need it's just expensive as hell.

On the other hand I just put a headliner in a 79 t-top car and I can't find some of the plastic interior parts for that. I can find part numbers, but nothing available.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Snafu12:
Plus 1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Snafu12:

Plus 1
Yeah true, I like Pontiac power, but that's the direction he wants to go. Mine has a 455. Old pic:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:37:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool build.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#14]
A/c and heater core holes patched up and body getting primed

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#15]
impressive work.    thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Body has been primed and interior painted with some stuff called chassis saver

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#17]
And on a side note, I have obtained most of the parts I need to put a multiport EFI setup on my 455. I'll do a separate thread for that though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks great. What kind of numbers are you expecting from the 455?
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:44:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _hacker_] [#19]
Originally Posted By Inspector2211:
Looks great. What kind of numbers are you expecting from the 455?
View Quote
I've got kre 315 cfm heads, Ross pistons, eagle crank and rods and other goodies. 10.25:1 cr. Ive driven it around with a performer rpm and 4 bbl and it's stout but not as awesome as I'd hoped. I'm probably going to swap cam and intake for this EFI install. I have a lot of research to do. So I'm not sure but it will be north of 500. Maybe 550-575?

Eta I think maybe 475-500 is more realistic and keep it somewhat streetable
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:06:30 AM EDT
[#20]
And on a side note, I have obtained most of the parts I need to put a multiport EFI setup on my 455. I'll do a separate thread for that though.
View Quote
Oh I'd definitely be interested in that. Which EFI setup are you going with?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice job OP, I'm a HUGE Chassis Saver fan. Getting ready to do my "68 Stang with it...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:33:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sick1] [#22]
Just finishing up the paint on a 75 myself. Looks like an awesome project.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By sick1:
Just finishing up the paint on a 75 myself. Looks like an awesome project.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95957/IMG-7004-223619.JPG
View Quote
That brings back memories! A good friend in high school was given one just like that for his 16th birthday. Poor car.... lol
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#24]
And now Bedliner

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:09:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _hacker_] [#25]
Attachment Attached File

Rear end and gas tank out. Got a new tank with internal fuel pump.

Eta we should have a new 9inch under it this weekend
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#26]
That is looking nice! Following this one for sure.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sick1:
Just finishing up the paint on a 75 myself. Looks like an awesome project.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/95957/IMG-7004-223619.JPG
View Quote
Nice!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _hacker_] [#28]
Rear end came in. Straight from Moser

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Eta 3.70 with their Hotchkiss suspension kit. Still need shocks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I was very optimistic on getting that rear in. Don't even have all the parts in. Here's some more boring paint pics. More chassis saver underneath the car

Rear looking forward
Attachment Attached File

Part of a floorpan
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Whole bunch of parts are in

Bedliner under the car
Attachment Attached File

Powder coated front end goodies
Attachment Attached File

Rear springs
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#31]
How have I not seen this thread until now??
Looks like a great project, here's mine

Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sixgunsblazing:

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/sixgunsblazing/Mobile%20Uploads/CA0FB898-C7EC-4C29-9FF5-245CF2E68BFF_zpsbowqudlt.jpg
View Quote
Damn! That sucker is sharp.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 11:41:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SShockwave] [#34]

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/sixgunsblazing/Mobile%20Uploads/CA0FB898-C7EC-4C29-9FF5-245CF2E68BFF_zpsbowqudlt.jpg
View Quote
Damn son, you nailed it!

OP, this is "THE LOOK" I was talking about that you guys should go for.  Seeing all these 74's really hurts as in the late 90's I found a 74 SD455 for sale locally for like $8000 or something rediclously stupid, but I was a teenager and KNEW that time was short on the salad days and that prices were going to sky rocket and sure as shit by 2002 they increase 20 times in price over a 10 month span.  My Dad just didn't understand and wouldn't take a chance,  I like to remind him everytime I see one go for $100,000 at auction.

Fuck, you guys are going to make me have to go buy that rust free 77 SE TA that's been hiding in a friend's garage for the past 14 years.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SShockwave:

Damn son, you nailed it!

OP, this is "THE LOOK" I was talking about that you guys should go for.  Seeing all these 74's really hurts as in the late 90's I found a 74 SD455 for sale locally for like $8000 or something rediclously stupid, but I was a teenager and KNEW that time was short on the salad days and that prices were going to sky rocket and sure as shit by 2002 they increase 20 times in price over a 10 month span.  My Dad just didn't understand and wouldn't take a chance,  I like to remind him everytime I see one go for $100,000 at auction.

Fuck, you guys are going to make me have to go buy that rust free 77 SE TA that's been hiding in a friend's garage for the past 14 years.
View Quote
Thanks!  And go buy that 77.  NOW.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
Badass 74
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote
Super sharp!! I think he's gonna go red and the same wheels. Year one honeycombs.

Latest pic:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Gas tank and rear completely in
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Forgot to upload the latest! Front end is powder coated.  All bolted up

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok, things are getting interesting

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I also have some updates on my car, I gotta start a thread soon.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote
Little update on parts. I just got all steering parts for mine, stock power steering pump, box, pitman arm, drag link and rod ends with sway bar links and necessary bushings, all parts were in stock at various places and not too expensive.

I'm also gathering rear end parts. I decided to beef up the factory 10 bolt. I have Moser axles and ordered a gear, carrier and full bearing kit. I have confidence it will be solid after the rebuild. These aren't hard to find at all, super common.

Interior is a different story. I'm trying to find a dash, the whole damn thing (not gauges and face plate, the metal frame and padded vinyl). These are rare as unicorn piss.

There is one company that makes repros but they don't produce many of them.  Then there is justdashes in Van nuys that restores them, got a quote for 1790 for the dash itself and another 150 for the glove compartment door. I'm not quite ready to lay down that kind of money. For now I'm going to keep looking on eBay and some.online classifieds looking for a decent used example. I guess.

I'm also needing t-top parts that are proving difficult to find but I haven't? done as deep a dive on those as I did the dash. I called every vendor I know of on that dash. Mine looks like hell.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#42]

Little update on parts. I just got all steering parts for mine, stock power steering pump, box, pitman arm, drag link and rod ends with sway bar links and necessary bushings, all parts were in stock at various places and not too expensive.

I'm also gathering rear end parts. I decided to beef up the factory 10 bolt. I have Moser axles and ordered a gear, carrier and full bearing kit. I have confidence it will be solid after the rebuild. These aren't hard to find at all, super common.

Interior is a different story. I'm trying to find a dash, the whole damn thing (not gauges and face plate, the metal frame and padded vinyl). These are rare as unicorn piss.

There is one company that makes repros but they don't produce many of them.  Then there is justdashes in Van nuys that restores them, got a quote for 1790 for the dash itself and another 150 for the glove compartment door. I'm not quite ready to lay down that kind of money. For now I'm going to keep looking on eBay and some.online classifieds looking for a decent used example. I guess.

I'm also needing t-top parts that are proving difficult to find but I haven't? done as deep a dive on those as I did the dash. I called every vendor I know of on that dash. Mine looks like hell.
View Quote
Check out second gen graveyard on FB.  The guy constantly is parting out Firebirds mostly and acutally has a couple nice dashes for sale. Based in North Cali
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Keep at it. Looking great!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like an AAW harness in that box!  I used theirs in my '66 Mustang GT Fastback   Great product!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
I was just going to throw a text your way if I didn't see any six guns posts
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Check out second gen graveyard on FB.  The guy constantly is parting out Firebirds mostly and acutally has a couple nice dashes for sale. Based in North Cali
View Quote
Needs moar Hagar
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#48]
No! I don't need to see this!!!  arrrgghhh!  Must resist buying 77 SE TA!  

Dammit, keep you eyes peeled for another "build thread" if I cannot keep my money in my pocket over the next 30 days.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you sir I will check it out.

I'll get some more pics. The motor is at a shop getting a Dod/vvt delete and "stage 2 cam" swap with all that entails.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Motor is ready for pickup
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top