Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked Jeep Pics - Let's see em! (Page 18 of 60)
Page / 60
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

Good man.

I love my 2" BDS lift, but they don't make my shocks anymore and I've developed a little shimmy at 60-65. (Likely a control arm bushing egging out on me).

I'm at about 75k on the lift, so I should think about shocks, and with the shimmy, I'm looking at at least pulling the arms... so I'm considering putting on new arms, new shocks, etc - a whole new lift.

I'm pretty split between the Rubicon Express 3.5 (8 new arms, 'eh' shocks, ~$1500) and the new JKSpec 3" lift (~$1700 with the Fox shocks, only 4 new arms*, so I might need $500 more). But given my experience with the 2" BDS (great) I'm interested in the 3" BDS.

In any event, I'd be sticking with 33x10.50's.

If anyone has any experience with any of these... let me know.

*-2 front/rear lowers and 2 front uppers. I'm considering just dropping the $240 for the new lowers and seeing if it solves my shimmy, and doing the rest later. Time to do stuff has been a concern lately; I have a Moab trip coming up in October. (As well as a Labor day trip which I'm comfortable with the Jeep as-is; but I can't put it down during that time either. That trip isn't a stress on the Jeep - easy-peasy trail for a Jeep on 33's - so much as it is a problem for the other vehicles if I'm not there. It's doable on just a stock 4x4 pickup, but we get one stuck nearly every year that I have to extract)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Good man.

I love my 2" BDS lift, but they don't make my shocks anymore and I've developed a little shimmy at 60-65. (Likely a control arm bushing egging out on me).

I'm at about 75k on the lift, so I should think about shocks, and with the shimmy, I'm looking at at least pulling the arms... so I'm considering putting on new arms, new shocks, etc - a whole new lift.

I'm pretty split between the Rubicon Express 3.5 (8 new arms, 'eh' shocks, ~$1500) and the new JKSpec 3" lift (~$1700 with the Fox shocks, only 4 new arms*, so I might need $500 more). But given my experience with the 2" BDS (great) I'm interested in the 3" BDS.

In any event, I'd be sticking with 33x10.50's.

If anyone has any experience with any of these... let me know.

*-2 front/rear lowers and 2 front uppers. I'm considering just dropping the $240 for the new lowers and seeing if it solves my shimmy, and doing the rest later. Time to do stuff has been a concern lately; I have a Moab trip coming up in October. (As well as a Labor day trip which I'm comfortable with the Jeep as-is; but I can't put it down during that time either. That trip isn't a stress on the Jeep - easy-peasy trail for a Jeep on 33's - so much as it is a problem for the other vehicles if I'm not there. It's doable on just a stock 4x4 pickup, but we get one stuck nearly every year that I have to extract)
75K on your BDS lift? Nice! I'll never see that lifespan out of my shocks. I still have not taken mine offroad. Kinda worried something will break and I'll get stranded. I don't have a winch or recovery gear yet. I couldn't imagine driving my TJ all the way to Moab. I guess I've just owned new vehicles for far too long that I get sick of the TJ on the highway in about 30 minutes. It's slow as a turtle and drinks gas like it's free. No cruse control. Loud. Impractical for weekending or camping. Doubt it'll ever leave the state, if even stay in my possession for longer than a couple years.

It truly is less of everything I had hoped it would be. It's a one trick pony. But it's fun for now and a learning experience that I bought into relatively cheaply.

Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

nah if I was to do anything else it would be claytons. i still need to get gears and install kits for my axles, want trail ready beadlocks, tires, have a rear arb still need to get a front one. etc.....etc...

So, I dont have everything so its not really ready yet anyways. but the savvys are the biggest ticket item. they have already gone up in price like over 500 dollars since when I bought them and put them on my shelf.

its going to be a serious wheeling rig not a jk w/ a light bar and 35s.

I did the short arms game before on the XJ, it was short lived.
Ah, understood. You're at a totally different place than I.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 4:38:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TREETOP] [#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ASUsax] [#3]
Originally Posted By Mr_Maim:

75K on your BDS lift? Nice! I'll never see that lifespan out of my shocks. I still have not taken mine offroad. Kinda worried something will break and I'll get stranded. I don't have a winch or recovery gear yet. I couldn't imagine driving my TJ all the way to Moab. I guess I've just owned new vehicles for far too long that I get sick of the TJ on the highway in about 30 minutes. It's slow as a turtle and drinks gas like it's free. No cruse control. Loud. Impractical for weekending or camping. Doubt it'll ever leave the state, if even stay in my possession for longer than a couple years.

It truly is less of everything I had hoped it would be. It's a one trick pony. But it's fun for now and a learning experience that I bought into relatively cheaply.
View Quote
I don't really find the ride that bad*. I've got a Misch 4x4 'Big Boy Bracket' on the drivers side seat, so I can kick it back a little farther (though not too far, I've gotta reach the clutch). Noise? Crank up the radio. Gas? Stop and stretch every 200 miles. I've never found it terribly impractical for camping as long as it's 2 peeps, though my Expedition Trailer makes that irrelevant. I -DO- have Cruise Control, and it usually even works.

But yeah, I get it up to Moab, no problem.

If you're in Phoenix, drop me an IM. We'll run you around the back of Saguaro or something, break you in.

*-A bad lift will really change that. That's why I was somewhat anal on mine, and am being somewhat anal on what is next. Springs and Shocks are really important, and there's a lot of Crap out there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:44:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bigfoot21075] [#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

Used the new defender rack camping this weekend.  Worked well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:58:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mister_Donut] [#7]
Thought I posted my Jeep in here, guess not.

My kid's Jeep, got the idea from another member here.  Powerwheels Barbie repainted in more appropriate colors for my boy:

My unit was visiting another base for an exercise and we saw this museum piece idling in the parking lot.  The curator let us take her out for a spin….wish I could have driven it home.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]

I don't really find the ride that bad*. I've got a Misch 4x4 'Big Boy Bracket' on the drivers side seat, so I can kick it back a little farther (though not too far, I've gotta reach the clutch). Noise? Crank up the radio. Gas? Stop and stretch every 200 miles. I've never found it terribly impractical for camping as long as it's 2 peeps, though my Expedition Trailer makes that irrelevant. I -DO- have Cruise Control, and it usually even works.

But yeah, I get it up to Moab, no problem.

If you're in Phoenix, drop me an IM. We'll run you around the back of Saguaro or something, break you in.

*-A bad lift will really change that. That's why I was somewhat anal on mine, and am being somewhat anal on what is next. Springs and Shocks are really important, and there's a lot of Crap out there.
View Quote
Agreed about a quality suspension. When I first got mine it had factory control arms, sagged springs from who knows what Jeep, 2" spring spacers, and KYB shocks for a 4" minimum lift so who knows what the PO was thinking. The shocks had 1'75" of travel! It's come a long way. Just some nagging things that I'd like to have someone that has owned a Jeep for a while drive and tell me what the deal is....  I'll shoot you a PM. I'm in the PHX valley. I'd love to do a n00b run with another Jeeper!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:36:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Stopped to enjoy the view.  Fortune Creek trail here in WA.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#11]
Originally Posted By Rossi:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/36058/20170722_155419_resized2-287073.JPG
View Quote
@Rossi
Thats an awesome trail! Did you make it to Gallagher Head lake?

I went last year in my 2dr but we stopped at that roundabout just before the lake. Tight trail! Ran into another jeep on the tightest part, it took 10min to get around each other.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Doors off for the first time since I have owned it. Maybe ever, lol.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Boomer:
View Quote
Looks like you got a lift and tires. What'd you go with?
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
View All Quotes
MetalCloak 2.5" True Dual Rate Rocksport Edition suspension and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 295/70R17.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:29:43 AM EDT
[#15]

MetalCloak 2.5" True Dual Rate Rocksport Edition suspension and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 295/70R17.
View Quote
Excellent choice on both. I love my Ridge Grapplers! 

Great looking Jeep!
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good, loving the blue
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 10:03:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By D_J:
Anyone else going to the Jasper Jeepfest this weekend?  We will be there tomorrow.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_6530_JPG-296692.jpg
View Quote
Was gonna be there, but I'm making money on the other side of the country
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:51:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Jeep in with Judd 2017
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:16:45 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
@boomer
Ive been reading about metalcloaks "duraflex" joint. Seems it holds up just as good or better than the Johnny Joint, is quieter and gives a more comfortable ride.

You do any research on this too?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:28:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#22]
@boomer
Ive been reading about metalcloaks "duraflex" joint. Seems it holds up just as good or better than the Johnny Joint, is quieter and gives a more comfortable ride.

View All Quotes

@boomer

It was one of the selling points. But the system I bought only comes with the front upper control arms, so it hasn't been a huge deal.

I was originally also considering the MC Overland line of suspensions, an AEV 2.5" system, a pieced together TeraFlex based 2.5" system, and a couple of different budget boost type kits.

What really sold me specifically on the MC True Dual Rate system was that is uses the adjustable upper control arms to correct caster instead of the lower hanging geometry brackets, the quality/stoutness of the components, the dual rate springs that help offer a stock-like ride on the road while articulating like crazy off of it, the completeness of the kit, the overall reputation and the fact that I could get it a great price. It is modular so that in the future I can add the rest of the adjustable control arms if I want and/or go a little higher with the 3.5" springs and it is all stil engineered to work together. By the time I added things like extended brake lines, an adjustable front track bar, rear track bar bracket, and caster correction to the cheaper kits it was adding up to about what the MC kit cost me. Was basically a no-brainer.

I installed the system, then a few days later hitched up a 5x8 U-Haul trailer full of furniture, spent a couple of days towing it 850 miles, then drove another couple of hundred miles to Moab and played for a couple of days. At the end of that trip we drove 900 miles home in a single day. I don't know if I could be any happier with how a lifted JKU performs. It tracks straight, doesn't wander or bounce around, rides like stock, handles well all the way up to 80-90mph.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]
@Rossi

I went last year in my 2dr but we stopped at that roundabout just before the lake. Tight trail! Ran into another jeep on the tightest part, it took 10min to get around each other.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/525/2017-08-22_06-287151.JPG
View All Quotes

@Rossi

We went all the way to the top.  The last segment requires some good wheel and skinny pedal control because it has a steep incline with a turn in the middle.  However, it's worth it.  I can see that portion closed during Winter.

The views are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Got out a little this weekend...

Link Posted: 9/5/2017 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#26]

https://i.imgur.com/NC3yQGj.jpg
View Quote
Nice.  What trailer is that?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#27]
We went all the way to the top.  The last segment requires some good wheel and skinny pedal control because it has a steep incline with a turn in the middle.  However, it's worth it.  I can see that portion closed during Winter.

The views are awesome.
View All Quotes

@Rossi

The views are awesome.
That hill gave me a bit of a pucker coming down it in my CJ-8.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
The last segment requires some good wheel and skinny pedal control because it has a steep incline with a turn in the middle.
Is this the part you guys are talking about?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/525/Screenshot_2017-09-05-09-15-43-1-299706.JPG
View All Quotes
The last segment requires some good wheel and skinny pedal control because it has a steep incline with a turn in the middle.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/525/Screenshot_2017-09-05-09-15-43-1-299706.JPG
Yes. It would probably be no big deal in my JKU, especially after some of the stuff we did in Moab. But in a 30+ year old Jeep you start pondering the effects of time, exposure and use as well as the lack of safety features a little more.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 2:50:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 3:25:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: First-World-Problems] [#31]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 8:58:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: First-World-Problems] [#33]
Originally Posted By Forest:

A Jeep style golf cart?
View Quote
Yep, those bodies are very expensive. I got a really good deal on it.  I rebuilt the whole thing, it had been sitting for a few years.

Before,

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:55:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:50:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought her brand new in October. The top is before and after and the bottom is from our recent adventures to Asheville. It's pretty loaded up with gear and bikes in the second pic. The lift is a 2.5" teraflex lift with shocks, and the tires are BFG AT 35". Lift was easy to install, but took me 3 days to do, because it was so freaking hot outside, and I was doing it all myself.

I still need to do bumpers and sliders, but overall I love this thing!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Just a tease for now.

Little hint, those are two Dana 44 covers.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By RobertL:
Just a tease for now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/IMG_1030_JPG-313047.jpg

View Quote
Nice.  I wish I had 44s.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Jday:
Nice.  I wish I had 44s.
View Quote
I wish that PS made dif covers for the 8.8...
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Just got my new AEV 2.5 installed today.  That's a big damned 2.5".    Rides nice.  The Bilsteins feel really good so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Why the cast iron PS vs the cast aluminum Tactik?  I was looking at the Tactik as they have drain and fill holes, as well as a dipstick (yeah I like gadgetry).

Is the iron that much stronger?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RobertL:
Just a tease for now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/IMG_1030_JPG-313047.jpg

Why the cast iron PS vs the cast aluminum Tactik?  I was looking at the Tactik as they have drain and fill holes, as well as a dipstick (yeah I like gadgetry).

Is the iron that much stronger?
I already had one of them, so I bought the second to match. I bought the first one for my ZJ that has a Dana 44A and I painted the cover before I realized the 44A takes a different cover. The new Jeep has two "normal" 44s so I just bought another cover and painted it to match the original. If not for that, I would have looked for aluminum covers. I'm doing everything I can on the new project in aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Lift/tire size??
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Radiator popped at 185k

That was last fall. Side tank cracked.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

https://i.imgur.com/NC3yQGj.jpg
Customish. There's a build thread in the archives, but all the image links are busted.

Dinoot Tub (basically M416 dimensions in fiberglass) on a trailer that itself began life as a Harbor Freight 4'x8', cut down to 40.5"x72";
M416 fenders;
the front rack began life as an ATV hitch rack, it's been turned sideways;
Wheels (and currently tires) off a mid-90's Cherokee (I have 2x 33x1050R15 BFG MT/KM2's from the last set on the Jeep to replace the 225/75R15's on there);
Lid/Rack of my own design;
Tepui Kukenam RTT;
Smittybilt Awning, on a rack of my own design (it tucks back in against the RTT for travel).

That's the basics. I thought it would be cheaper to build than buy. That is not true.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:45:13 PM EDT
[#47]

Lift/tire size??
View Quote
Mopar Stage I 2" lift. Actually raised it up about 2.75"  The tires are 285/70/17 BFG AT KO2.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:10:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ISED8U] [#48]
My buddies CJ left (43" tires), my YJ right (37" tires). I'm planning on some big mods to my Jeep in the coming months.

]Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 10:48:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Finally got mine after waiting for what seemed like forever for a factory order.

First day got the winch on..Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Page / 60
Tacked Jeep Pics - Let's see em! (Page 18 of 60)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top