Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2012 1:19:08 PM EDT
My 2007 Pruis is eating 9003/H2 bulbs every 3 months or so.  I'm not touching the capsules when installing.  Wiring harness looks good.  Originaly I replaced both with Sylvania Silverstars - now I'm just putting in the cheapest bulbs I can get.  It doesn't seem to matter what brand or type.

Can anyone recommend a heavy dity buld or upgrade kit for my car?  BTW, this is not the notoruis HID headlight problem, as I don;t have that option.  Can rough local roads cause this?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
First culprit could be too high voltage.Check your light sockets with a voltmeter.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
These guys should be able to help you...

http://priuschat.com/forums/

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:13:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 09 Prius, base model, so I don't have the HIDs.  Still on the original bulbs, and I drive at night a lot so they've gotten a lot of use.  

Are both bulbs blowing around the same time?  Older SilverStars didn't seem to last much longer than a year.  Had 3/4 SilverStar bulbs in a previous car blow on the same day.  The newer pair I put in my bike almost two years ago are still going.

I'd suspect a voltage issue like mentioned.  Unplug one of the headlamp assemblies and see what voltage you are getting in accessory mode and with the system on.  That way you'll see what you're getting from the 12v system with the traction battery disengaged (you'll be getting power just from the small 12v aux battery in the trunk) and with the system on, so you'll see what the 12v system is getting from the traction battery.  

If either are less than 12v, or higher than 14.5, you gotta problems.  The aux battery in your car may be on it's way out.  How old is it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
These guys should be able to help you...

http://priuschat.com/forums/

That is where I go to diagnose extraction problems with my ARs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a 09 Prius, base model, so I don't have the HIDs.  Still on the original bulbs, and I drive at night a lot so they've gotten a lot of use.  

Are both bulbs blowing around the same time?  Older SilverStars didn't seem to last much longer than a year.  Had 3/4 SilverStar bulbs in a previous car blow on the same day.  The newer pair I put in my bike almost two years ago are still going.

I'd suspect a voltage issue like mentioned.  Unplug one of the headlamp assemblies and see what voltage you are getting in accessory mode and with the system on.  That way you'll see what you're getting from the 12v system with the traction battery disengaged (you'll be getting power just from the small 12v aux battery in the trunk) and with the system on, so you'll see what the 12v system is getting from the traction battery.  

If either are less than 12v, or higher than 14.5, you gotta problems.  The aux battery in your car may be on it's way out.  How old is it?

Bought the car a year ago with a new traction battery installed.  No idea on aux battery.

Link Posted: 5/10/2012 7:56:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I see a ton of them running around here with just one headlight, kinda like all the GM vehicles that always have one running light out.

I would get a volt meter on the connections and see if both lights are the same, also check for a recall or service note at the dealer, it seems like a common problem so maybe they can help...for free.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bought the car a year ago with a new traction battery installed.  No idea on aux battery.

I'd recommend checking the voltages like I mentioned.  If the 12v system has some sort of problem, it may be frying your headlamps too fast.   The 12v aux battery is in the back passenger side, under the panel.  Should last like about any other lead acid 12v battery - 3-5 years.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My 2007 Pruis is eating 9003/H2 bulbs every 3 months or so.  I'm not touching the capsules when installing.  Wiring harness looks good.  Originaly I replaced both with Sylvania Silverstars - now I'm just putting in the cheapest bulbs I can get.  It doesn't seem to matter what brand or type.

Can anyone recommend a heavy dity buld or upgrade kit for my car?  BTW, this is not the notoruis HID headlight problem, as I don;t have that option.  Can rough local roads cause this?

That was your problem.  The Silverstars don't last.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's weird is the two SilverStars H4s I put in my motorcycle are going fine after a year and a half.  A few years back, in a different car I had, they lasted right at a year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's weird is the two SilverStars H4s I put in my motorcycle are going fine after a year and a half.  A few years back, in a different car I had, they lasted right at a year.

I used them in only two cars...both times, lasted about 5-6 months, and burned out within minutes of each other.  Apparently, my experience isn't uncommon when reading on the automotive lighting boards.

YMMV, as always.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used them in only two cars...both times, lasted about 5-6 months, and burned out within minutes of each other.  Apparently, my experience isn't uncommon when reading on the automotive lighting boards.

YMMV, as always.

SilverStars are known to have shorter lifespans and even Sylvania acknowledges this. Anytime you want to change the color temperature of a halogen bulb to match that of a 4100K HID, you need to use a different gas mixture and voltage which sacrifices lifespan. The Silverstars are also tinted to help achieve that color - this does not mean it produces more light, your brain just perceives this as more light.

If you keep blowing bulbs, I'd look at the voltage at the headlight terminals. Even if you don't touch the glass, it's a good idea to wipe down the bulb using isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth/towel before installation. Based on what the OP has stated, I seriously doubt it is a bulb life issue. It sounds like some type of electrical transient that is causing the bulb to fail.

Sylvania LongLife is dim, but obviously lasts the longest. The Sylvania XtraVision is what I recommend to everyone because it is a good compromise of light output and longevity.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Popped another bulb today.  Checked voltage with a brand new made in China Harbor Freight 5 dollar meter - it showed 14.67 volts at the terminal.  I was ultra careful not to touch the bulb.

Installed an "Xtravision" bulb.
Link Posted: 6/12/2012 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Popped another bulb today.  Checked voltage with a brand new made in China Harbor Freight 5 dollar meter - it showed 14.67 volts at the terminal.  I was ultra careful not to touch the bulb.

Installed an "Xtravision" bulb.

That seems excessively high.

Link Posted: 6/12/2012 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there any moisture in the headlamp assy? I've had a rash of about 8 of them in the last few months with very simular concerns. eveyone of them had some ultra bright bulb in it and actually had a crack in the seal. moisture forms on the bulb and POP! also make sure the rubber weather seal is on the back side of the hoiusing.

ETA: I will check the voltage on one tomorrow but I'm think 14 is about right and your super cheap meater could be way way off.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#15]
After checking two known good Prius, with the ready light off it's about 12.4. Ready light on it jumps up to 13.9. I'd have two say your right in the ball park there.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#16]
No moisture - bone dry, rubber seals correctly installed.  I wouldn't mind so much, but replacing that driver's side one always chews my hands up on the fuse box.

I guess I may just have to start putting in the 6 dollar bulbs from Harbor Freight ....  
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Seems high.  I got one of those BT OBDII port readers and the Torque application on my Android phone.  My 12V circuit measures 13.8V.  

Can you check voltage at the aux (12V) battery with the vehicle off, and with it on (Ready light on)?  If it's getting 14.5V+, it may be high.  Checking at the Prius forums, 13.8 is normal for the 12V system, since it's not under much load (not having to crank an engine means less drain that needs to be recuperated).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top