Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2005 7:03:18 PM EDT
Upwards of $490/oz!

Anyone have any opinions on what it'll do next?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Say WHAT?

I thought it was in the $460 range because the dollar's been gaining strength lately.  Kitco.com is down, weird.  I wonder what is up.

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Time to sell!
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it will have a hard time breaking $500. Too much incentive to sell and increase production at these prices.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep.  I just bought MsBubba's Christmas gift...
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Pisses me off. I called around today getting offers for gold. Went to a place that was highest and said "I called earlier about selling some bullion" They said "let me look up the price on that" Came back $5/oz lower than they told me over the phone. Pissed, but I was there.

Lesson: The proper greeting is "I called earlier and you offered $X for my bullion."

BTW, said they got their quote from Silvertown. I know Silvertown is big in bullion, but I said "Silvertown? Never heard of that exchange. What about London or NY?"  Obviously, it's a dealer subscription sort of thing with a built-in profit margin for dealers instead of letting them figure one out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pisses me off. I called around today getting offers for gold. Went to a place that was highest and said "I called earlier about selling some bullion" They said "let me look up the price on that" Came back $5/oz lower than they told me over the phone. Pissed, but I was there.

Lesson: The proper greeting is "I called earlier and you offered $X for my bullion."

BTW, said they got their quote from Silvertown. I know Silvertown is big in bullion, but I said "Silvertown? Never heard of that exchange. What about London or NY?"  Obviously, it's a dealer subscription sort of thing with a built-in profit margin for dealers instead of letting them figure one out.

There's always going to be a bid-ask spead on the price of gold you buy.  The tightest spreads I've seen on gold is from goldmoney.com, and you can buy it by the gram.  But you never actually hold it in  your hand, it's just an account of some gold that sits in a vault in London.  The ownership of the bullion just shifts around, the gold doesn't go anywhere.  Lowers transaction costs, hence the tight spread.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Every time gold goes high I think about selling
some of the gold ingots and coins I have picked up
over the years . I just checked the price on 1oz
Eagles - $517 .

I know I could invest the money tied up in them
for a better return , but I didn't buy them as an investment
I buy them as a Hobby/Collection .

I figure like everything else I own my kids can do whatever
they want to do with them when I'm dead
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Eagles - $517 .
I figure like everything else I own my kids can do whatever
they want to do with them when I'm dead

I bought some gold Eagles @ $200, but my wife would only let me buy 3,.  Now I'm thinking to sell them and going out and a buy a steak dinner.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:35:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Eagles - $517 .

Woohoo!  I bought some 1oz Gold Eagles at $200/coin(this is includes all of the fees and taxes etc), but the kicker is my wife would only let buy 3.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 9:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[Woohoo!  I bought some 1oz Gold Eagles at $200/coin(this is includes all of the fees and taxes etc), but the kicker is my wife would only let buy 3.

And that, my friends, is why I don't have a wife.

I just checked...$503.50.

Now that it's broken $500, I think it may dip a little, but continue to climb at a slow pace...especially after "Target Inflation" Bernanke takes over as the Fed chairman.

Checked again after typing post...$504.00

Hmmm...a new AR with all the goodies sure would be nice...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]

I invest in a gold mining company instead.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#15]
If I had any I'd sell it.  When it drops back down to $300 or so you'll be sorry you held on to it
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Could you share some details Waldo? I hear the Lear financial commercials on the radio about gold investing. I got their kit but it doesn't really tell you much. I am interested in converting my IRA into a gold IRA if possible or maybe changing the focus of my investments to tangibles.

Any advice from the gurus would be appreciated.

96Ag
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you share some details Waldo? I hear the Lear financial commercials on the radio about gold investing. I got their kit but it doesn't really tell you much. I am interested in converting my IRA into a gold IRA if possible or maybe changing the focus of my investments to tangibles.

96Ag

Start here, and follow the links & stories. As you get further in to it, you may want to look for some of the work done by Bill Murphy, Lemetropole Cafe, Richard Russell, and others, (you may also find it interesting to see where Bill Gates, George Sorros and Warren Buffet have some large parts of their portfolios placed). These people and places have endless resources, including the little publicized, yet exteremely interesting GATA.

Thanks, OdT

96Ag
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:37:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

96Ag

Start here, and follow the links & stories. As you get further in to it, you may want to look for some of the work done by Bill Murphy, Lemetropole Cafe, Richard Russell,

Richard Russell's the man.  Something like 60+ years of experience watching the markets, and his advice on buying gold for the long term over the last 5 years of so was right on.  You can subscribe to his daily email at www.dowtheoryletters.com for $250 a year.  He has a market indicator he developed called the PTI that does a great job of determining the overall direction of the Dow.  When its moving average is in positive territory (above the DJIA) it's bullish, go ahead and buy strong Dow stock(s) you like or the Dow ETF.  If the moving average is below the DJIA, it's bearish and you should hold off on buying stocks.  It's one of the best market tools I've ever seen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top