User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. If anything I'll be trying to push more in ASAP.
View Quote
this.  I would have doubled mine but I only could go up 2%.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#2]
no stopping now, stocks are on sale!
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I increased my contribution by 2%. That's about all I can right now.  But I've got 20-25years before retirement.  If it completely crashes, then money doesn't matter anyway and I'm diversified in copper, brass, and lead.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Buying cheaper is locking in losses?

Arfcom. Where people buy high,  sell low,  and wonder why they don't get anywhere.

Bc feels.

Buying stocks and real estate during bad markets are how you get filthy rich.  If I had 50 million I'd be buying stock and houses like a drunk at the bar.

The problem is dollar cost averaging means I buy all the time so I can't stockpile cash.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What Fella said. My Dad probably got to retire 5 years earlier than he otherwise would have because in the late 90s he started to get concerned about the market, so he went to almost 100% money market. When the dot com bubble burst and stopped tanking, which took a while, he went ALL IN, and when the market recovered he was living the dream. Now he's in a place where he does whatever he wants and his savings still grow faster than he can  spend them...that's how retirement is done!
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Because they still seem to be dropping. Maybe this is the highest we'll see in the next 2 years, we don't know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy low, sell high. Why in God's name would you stop buying now?!
Because they still seem to be dropping. Maybe this is the highest we'll see in the next 2 years, we don't know.
Exactly, we don’t know. So, why try to time it? Dollar cost averaging is a thing.

The psychology that causes people to want to up contributions as prices are sky high, and lower them when they are low, is not the psychology that builds wealth.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That’s right. We. Don’t. Know.
That’s why you dollar-cost-average your monthly contributions uninterrupted.
By doing so you buy more shares when prices are low and fewer shares when they are high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s right. We. Don’t. Know.
That’s why you dollar-cost-average your monthly contributions uninterrupted.
By doing so you buy more shares when prices are low and fewer shares when they are high.
Or, what this guy said.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
boosted it.... I'll max out earlier this year, but its all on sale!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]
That seems like a terrible idea.  You'd be losing your employer match as well.

Here's an article that supports it though.  They're recommending you temporarily suspend 401k and create an emergency fund, but you'd be getting taxed on that additional income.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/when-to-temporarily-stop-saving-for-retirement-during-the-pandemic.html
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
At this point trying to time the market is like a game of Russian roulette but instead of 1 bullet is 3. One day its up, like today, and the next its in negative 10% territory. Buy every friday or monday and go on with your life. Everything is on sale to 2017 prices so buy cheap and stack deep and sell later or live off the dividends.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you going to retire in 2 years? Just keep putting money in regularly, don't worry about short term fluctuations. FYI, anything under 5 years is short term when planning strategy for retirement.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Wish I could up my contribution more.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Wish I could up my contribution more.
View Quote

Yup.  OP has been here forever but man that’s the wrong move.  I lost 6 figures in the last 2 weeks but I am still contributing the max...
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah go ahead and try to time the market , you will surely get it right this time.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top