BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone using fidelity?

I’m trading very low volume and when I confirm trade it says 4.95 commission but then after it goes through it’s 54.95.

Example

10 shares of green organic Dutchman holdings at 1.38 each.  Plus 4.95 commission.  About an 19 dollar trade.... that turns into spending 54.95 to invest 14 dollars.  ??

Robinhood doesn’t have the stocks I want and Fidelity has fees out the ass for stocks I want.

Who has the lowest fees on weed stocks?

TL:DR I’ll go be poor somewhere else
View Quote
I use Fidelity and don't have that problem. Sold some yesterday and bought something different today and both transactions were $4.95 each.
It was doing some funky stuff today when I was trying to set up the buy, it was doubling the price but not the quantity of shares. I closed out of the trade and started a new one and reviewed everything before hitting submit.
I would call a Fidelity rep and ask to review the trade.

Edit to add, I just checked the closing amount for Dutchman and it was $4.45/share. Only up 0.23 for the day. Not sure where you saw $1.38. This would be why you were charged the $54.95
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I use Fidelity and don't have that problem. Sold some yesterday and bought something different today and both transactions were $4.95 each.
It was doing some funky stuff today when I was trying to set up the buy, it was doubling the price but not the quantity of shares. I closed out of the trade and started a new one and reviewed everything before hitting submit.
I would call a Fidelity rep and ask to review the trade.

Edit to add, I just checked the closing amount for Dutchman and it was $4.45/share. Only up 0.23 for the day. Not sure where you saw $1.38. This would be why you were charged the $54.95
View Quote
I bought TGOWF not TGODF and the same 54.95 charge was applied to CNPOF.

When I called the fidelity guy, he said I just have to call and see which stocks have that fee applied if I haven’t traded them before.  And that it sucks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Fidelity applies that $50+ fee to various international stocks basically at random. They wanted it for CGC before it got listed on the NYSE.

I bit the bullet and paid the fee for an Australian Graphene mining company, too.

Vanguard does it, too. I believe I had to pay it for Aphria some time ago, iirc.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Great information. Thanks! Any of you on this? And do you have a sell price in mind?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Great information. Thanks! Any of you on this? And do you have a sell price in mind?
I bought 6000 shares It's at $0.015 or so today. I've spent $100 on stupider things.

Anyone have info or thoughts on VBIO? Their cannabinoid treatment drug for treating IBS and Colitis was granted renewal by the DEA but still awaiting FDA approval. Stock seems like a good buy but one of their target audiences is pediatric cases which I think may be a tough sell with some parents.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope everyone had a good day. FWIW, MMNFF, MedMen, just bought PharmaCann, which is one of IL's licensed cannabis producers. JB Pritzker has said he WILL legalize recreational cannabis here. PharmaCann has the potential, has the green houses, the licenses, and the distribution. MedMen could become the Canopy Growth of the US.

I tried to get a well to do family member involved in PharmaCann months ago.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on this one. MMNFF was on my list but I continually overlook it.  I saw your post and did some research. Then I bought some.

Nice Find!!!
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I was watching CBC today.  There was mention of shortages on flower and product, but no companies were named.  Apparently some operations have already had a bad crop.  Stores are selling out and don't know when they'll get resupplied.

Missouri and Wisconsin are voting on cannabis measures next month.  Does anyone have any leads on companies that are already, or waiting to move in if they go green?
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought some Freedom Leaf Inc. (FRLF) this Monday, it did not do so hot this week. Think I will just hang on to it and see where it goes.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#8]
bump because Im tracking this thread and researching investments in the area
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Man I am hoping this happens.

BLOZF news Breathalyzer
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]
In case you missed it. The Mexican supreme court just paved the way for legal cannabis. https://www.vox.com/world/2018/11/1/18051592/mexico-marijuana-legalization-supreme-court
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Michigan voted to legalize. Looks like MO is going medical.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Anyone using fidelity?

I'm trading very low volume and when I confirm trade it says 4.95 commission but then after it goes through it's 54.95.

Example

10 shares of green organic Dutchman holdings at 1.38 each.  Plus 4.95 commission.  About an 19 dollar trade.... that turns into spending 54.95 to invest 14 dollars.  ??

Robinhood doesn't have the stocks I want and Fidelity has fees out the ass for stocks I want.

Who has the lowest fees on weed stocks?

TL:DR I'll go be poor somewhere else
View Quote
I use Fidelity (my 401k and IRA are set up through them). I'm only being charged $4.95, not sure where the $54.95 comes in but I haven't seen it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I know a lot of you are speculating on these.  It seems like most of the positions being mentioned were long.  Chatter has quieted from what I can tell so maybe everyone is out.  I just thought I would share this article as something to consider.  I started another thread trying to find out if someone can actually explain the potential scalability of these companies because I see them as a pure agriculture play and don't think they are going to yield, at least over the next decade, what people are pricing in.  Some of the better short sellers seem to be in that camp as well.  If you are a bull on them, the good news may be a short squeeze if they can turn around the momentum or at least a buying opportunity somewhere lower.  My guess is that may be tough if the institutional guys are going short.  They increased their short positions by about 30% on CGC over the first two weeks of November.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whitney-tilson-pot-stocks-better-short-today-ever-181402250.html
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know a lot of you are speculating on these.  It seems like most of the positions being mentioned were long.  Chatter has quieted from what I can tell so maybe everyone is out.  I just thought I would share this article as something to consider.  I started another thread trying to find out if someone can actually explain the potential scalability of these companies because I see them as a pure agriculture play and don't think they are going to yield, at least over the next decade, what people are pricing in.  Some of the better short sellers seem to be in that camp as well.  If you are a bull on them, the good news may be a short squeeze if they can turn around the momentum or at least a buying opportunity somewhere lower.  My guess is that may be tough if the institutional guys are going short.  They increased their short positions by about 30% on CGC over the first two weeks of November.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whitney-tilson-pot-stocks-better-short-today-ever-181402250.html
View Quote
I’m long for context and still hold all my positions. I don’t consider CGC to be a pure agriculture company because they make things like edibles and vaporizers, drinks  etc. They are very diversified within themselves and the industry. There are a lot of pure growth companies, though.

I think this whole sub forum has died off because we’ve fallen from historic highs across the board. Short sellers have probably increased their positions across the market, not necessarily unique to CGC or to pot stocks in general. Considering how much the entire market has fallen, I personally think pot is doing just fine in comparison, certainly CGC to boot.

If the US starts talking about federal legalization we are going to see another huge bubble while people rush to the industry.

The bubble burst a little because the excitement and hype has disappeared for the most part. It’s legal now and business is streaming along, so I think the correction has come and we’re seeing some stabilization. From what I was reading during the first earnings reports post Canadian legalization, all of the companies combined couldn’t handle the rush of sales. Demand far outpaced supply and so everybody kind of suffered. Most stores sold out in the first day or two and had no idea when resuppmy would come. It will be a while before the industry can fill its own shoes and stabilize as a whole, IMO. But I’m not up there so I don’t really know. The next two or three ERs will be very telling.

I’m not smart enough to answer all your questions.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ACBFF and MCOA

made money on ACBFF

lost money on MCOA

haven't sold either yet though
View Quote
The P/E Ratio on ACBFF is 76.90 and it has traded sideways all year. No Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’m long for context and still hold all my positions. I don’t consider CGC to be a pure agriculture company because they make things like edibles and vaporizers, drinks  etc. They are very diversified within themselves and the industry. There are a lot of pure growth companies, though.

I think this whole sub forum has died off because we’ve fallen from historic highs across the board. Short sellers have probably increased their positions across the market, not necessarily unique to CGC or to pot stocks in general. Considering how much the entire market has fallen, I personally think pot is doing just fine in comparison, certainly CGC to boot.

If the US starts talking about federal legalization we are going to see another huge bubble while people rush to the industry.

The bubble burst a little because the excitement and hype has disappeared for the most part. It’s legal now and business is streaming along, so I think the correction has come and we’re seeing some stabilization. From what I was reading during the first earnings reports post Canadian legalization, all of the companies combined couldn’t handle the rush of sales. Demand far outpaced supply and so everybody kind of suffered. Most stores sold out in the first day or two and had no idea when resuppmy would come. It will be a while before the industry can fill its own shoes and stabilize as a whole, IMO. But I’m not up there so I don’t really know. The next two or three ERs will be very telling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are saying the "high" wore off...I had to.

In all seriousness, based on your other posts, I am assuming that you are still in the black even with 30% decline in the short term.  For guys just trying to get in, I was just pointing out that perhaps now isn't the precise best time.

I read some of the same reports that you read, and I think it will take longer than two or three ERs for it to shake out.  The last three quarters they have moved further and further away from analysts expectations.  They are going to be chasing volume at the expense of profitability.  It will take a lot of heavy capital expenditures to ramp up production.  They so much as said that a heavy increase in demand will hurt short term profitability...not that they have profits now.

Do you do much in terms of technical analysis?  I am pretty novice and there isn't much price history.  It seems like it has gathered some support around $32.50.  Below that tracking toward $30 and then $26
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So you are saying the "high" wore off...I had to.

In all seriousness, based on your other posts, I am assuming that you are still in the black even with 30% decline in the short term.  For guys just trying to get in, I was just pointing out that perhaps now isn't the precise best time.

I read some of the same reports that you read, and I think it will take longer than two or three ERs for it to shake out.  The last three quarters they have moved further and further away from analysts expectations.  They are going to be chasing volume at the expense of profitability.  It will take a lot of heavy capital expenditures to ramp up production.  They so much as said that a heavy increase in demand will hurt short term profitability...not that they have profits now.

Do you do much in terms of technical analysis?  I am pretty novice and there isn't much price history.  It seems like it has gathered some support around $32.50.  Below that tracking toward $30 and then $26
View Quote
LOL, yea, I guess you could say that.

Yes, I am still in the black on a lot of them. I made a couple very small (sub $500) investments just prior to the large correction that are in the red at the moment, but were talking like -$30-40. NBEV and Medmen. And Im just barely above even on Aphria after today.

You may be right about the shake out timelines. I would assume a year but I also am giving the benefit of the doubt that the people who have spent millions to set up these larger companies like CGC, and Im guessing they know what they're doing. IE: have vast amounts of product growing and in rotation for each quarter.

I went long on Aprhia because they had just broke ground on a million square ft facility they expected to finish early 2019.

I am a novice, too. I don't know if this is a good time to get in or not. This is a very busy time of the year for me work wise but I wish I had the time to be paying attention right now. I still get alerts from Robinhood and it seems like every other day I'm getting a down 5% followed by an up 5% the next day on just about every pot stock. I barely have the time to eat right now, let alone pay attention to the market like I was earlier.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I went into the red a few weeks ago but the big CRON bump today brought me back from the brink.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't watch enough of them to get the full breadth of price action.  The only one that I really pay attention to is CGC because they were actually producing (not that they are profitable) and they have been focused on rounding out the product line and not just growing.  With that said, wait to see if they are trading in ranges.  I have a couple of stocks that I watch and trade and you can start to pick up trading ranges.  So, while the market is sideways or down you can get in and out to make little profits.

If it seems like you are catching a short term low, you can grab some to bring your basis down.  For example, per my last post, it seems like CGC has some support in that $32.50 range right now (I am no expert on technical analysis this is just an observation).  So, if you bought the dip and have a bunch at $40, doubling down in the short term can get your basis to $36 or so.  If it were me in that scenario, I am probably selling whatever I bought at $32.50 at $34.  It doesn't get you to break even, but it brings your basis down $1.50 on the $40 purchase.  Then I am waiting to see what happens.  If it gets to $32.50 again I am running it back.  Hopefully you get to do that a few times and your basis runs from $40 down to $34 or $35.  If it stays there long enough  you could get back in the black and be making money or if it runs back to $40 you could be up 15% or 20%.  If it runs lower, you keep trading those ranges to work the basis down more.

I do this  regularly.  It is about the only way to make anything in a sideways or down market.  I have one stock that was trading very consistently between $108 and $112 (not a marijuana stock).  Making 3.5% on smaller positions in a week or so will help bolster things.  At one point it ran to $120 and I was already out at like $112.50.  The guy that I trade through was busting my chops because I missed out on an extra 7% but I wasn't trying to time the top.  I waited and it ran down to $106 again so I bought some.  Then it ran down some more so I bought some.  Long story short, by making those short term trades, I got my basis down below $100 right now.  I am currently up, on paper, about 2% at the current price on what I hold (not considering the profits I took on earlier trades) instead of being down 6% or 8% if I was just sitting on my original position.

If the market continues this rolling bear thing that we are in now, you can make money down without shorting.  You don't have to worry about timing the market because you get to keep your positions.  When the market turns back, you get to ride the wave up instead of waiting for a break even.

The problem a lot of people have is that they don't really understand how returns work.  In volatile markets, it can take forever to get to break even.  For example, CGC lost about 40% from it's peak to current prices.  If you take that kind of loss, you don't need 40% to break even.  You need 67% from that low.  Minimizing that damage as much as possible is the name of the game.  Anyone can make money in up markets and feel like a hero.  Figuring out your game plan for when it goes sideways or south should be the long term goal.

I apologize if I am telling anyone stuff that they know.  It just seemed like this thread was super popular when the stocks where exploding and now it is a ghost town.  While don't think many of these companies are worth investing in yet, there are probably still a lot of good trades to make in the short term.  I was just trying to revive the conversation since it seems like experience levels varied quite a bit in the thread.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:25:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don't watch enough of them to get the full breadth of price action.  The only one that I really pay attention to is CGC because they were actually producing (not that they are profitable) and they have been focused on rounding out the product line and not just growing.  With that said, wait to see if they are trading in ranges.  I have a couple of stocks that I watch and trade and you can start to pick up trading ranges.  So, while the market is sideways or down you can get in and out to make little profits.

If it seems like you are catching a short term low, you can grab some to bring your basis down.  For example, per my last post, it seems like CGC has some support in that $32.50 range right now (I am no expert on technical analysis this is just an observation).  So, if you bought the dip and have a bunch at $40, doubling down in the short term can get your basis to $36 or so.  If it were me in that scenario, I am probably selling whatever I bought at $32.50 at $34.  It doesn't get you to break even, but it brings your basis down $1.50 on the $40 purchase.  Then I am waiting to see what happens.  If it gets to $32.50 again I am running it back.  Hopefully you get to do that a few times and your basis runs from $40 down to $34 or $35.  If it stays there long enough  you could get back in the black and be making money or if it runs back to $40 you could be up 15% or 20%.  If it runs lower, you keep trading those ranges to work the basis down more.

I do this  regularly.  It is about the only way to make anything in a sideways or down market.  I have one stock that was trading very consistently between $108 and $112 (not a marijuana stock).  Making 3.5% on smaller positions in a week or so will help bolster things.  At one point it ran to $120 and I was already out at like $112.50.  The guy that I trade through was busting my chops because I missed out on an extra 7% but I wasn't trying to time the top.  I waited and it ran down to $106 again so I bought some.  Then it ran down some more so I bought some.  Long story short, by making those short term trades, I got my basis down below $100 right now.  I am currently up, on paper, about 2% at the current price on what I hold (not considering the profits I took on earlier trades) instead of being down 6% or 8% if I was just sitting on my original position.

If the market continues this rolling bear thing that we are in now, you can make money down without shorting.  You don't have to worry about timing the market because you get to keep your positions.  When the market turns back, you get to ride the wave up instead of waiting for a break even.

The problem a lot of people have is that they don't really understand how returns work.  In volatile markets, it can take forever to get to break even.  For example, CGC lost about 40% from it's peak to current prices.  If you take that kind of loss, you don't need 40% to break even.  You need 67% from that low.  Minimizing that damage as much as possible is the name of the game.  Anyone can make money in up markets and feel like a hero.  Figuring out your game plan for when it goes sideways or south should be the long term goal.

I apologize if I am telling anyone stuff that they know.  It just seemed like this thread was super popular when the stocks where exploding and now it is a ghost town.  While don't think many of these companies are worth investing in yet, there are probably still a lot of good trades to make in the short term.  I was just trying to revive the conversation since it seems like experience levels varied quite a bit in the thread.
View Quote
I agree. I have seen it referred to and refer to it myself as "averaging down".

The first time I bought in to CRON it was around $10 when it IPOd when it got listed on the NYSE, and through that practice my average position is now $6.36.

This is 100% speculation on my own part, but I believe Trump is going to use legalizing MJ federally, or at least re-classifying it, as a part of his 2020 platform.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree. I have seen it referred to and refer to it myself as "averaging down".

The first time I bought in to CRON it was around $10 when it IPOd when it got listed on the NYSE, and through that practice my average position is now $6.36.

This is 100% speculation on my own part, but I believe Trump is going to use legalizing MJ federally, or at least re-classifying it, as a part of his 2020 platform.
View Quote
I think the farm bill is probably the first step of that and bringing hemp/CBD mainstream
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Damn, 30% jump for Cron this morning. I don’t have time to read about it right now, can I get a tldr for what happens to CRON shares? Do they just get converted to Altria?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Damn, 30% jump for Cron this morning. I don’t have time to read about it right now, can I get a tldr for what happens to CRON shares? Do they just get converted to Altria?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
They aren't buyinig CRON.  They are buying $1.8B worth of CRON stock at $16.25 a share and they have a warrant to increase their stake to 55% if they want.  So, the two companies will remain separate.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They aren't buyinig CRON.  They are buying $1.8B worth of CRON stock at $16.25 a share and they have a warrant to increase their stake to 55% if they want.  So, the two companies will remain separate.
View Quote
Ah, thanks for the clarification. It appears in my haste on my way out the door I missed the "into" in AWs post.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Who was saying big tobacco wasn't just going to sit on the sidelines while the mj industry grew?

Now I understand why MO didn't just buy CRON outright and did it as an investment as opposed to an acquisition.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who was saying big tobacco wasn't just going to sit on the sidelines while the mj industry grew?

Now I understand why MO didn't just buy CRON outright and did it as an investment as opposed to an acquisition.
View Quote
They are still sitting on the sideline, though. They are basically as involved as any other CRON shareholder.

It’s not like they set up operation and are shouldering companies out like some believe they would.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:27:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They are still sitting on the sideline, though. They are basically as involved as any other CRON shareholder.

It’s not like they set up operation and are shouldering companies out like some believe they would.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I think they got two board positions and with a warrant to buy enough to have a controlling interest...they are considerably more involved than any other CRON shareholder.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Well, I think they got two board positions and with a warrant to buy enough to have a controlling interest...they are considerably more involved than any other CRON shareholder.
View Quote
They get to nominate 4 board memebers iirc, and yes you are correct they could buy 10% more stake at $19/share.

Surely I’m not comparing myself or other shareholders to them. I just mean they physically aren’t growing MJ yet, and have said publicly they won’t unless it becomes federally legal in the US. Whether they hold true to that statement or not remains to be seen. I see this as more or less a backdoor entry to make money in the industry without any operations. Much like the rest of us. That’s what I mean.

I still don’t consider them or myself involved. My money is, sure, but I have nothing else to do with the industry, neither do they really. It’s a bit of a head scratcher to me, why they haven’t. There are US companies growing weed for medical reasons, regardless of federal laws, and there are ways to do s and still be within the federal laws as well. If Altria wanted to get into this industry I don’t know why they haven’t already. If even on a small scale to perfect methods etc ahead of big moves.

I am very excited about this move. I’m sitting on a pile of CRON and honestly considered them the riskiest pot stock I’m in. They are small in comparison to companies like CGC and there’s a ton of unknown with them. This adds a level of validity to them in itself, for a company like this to invest in them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They get to nominate 4 board memebers iirc, and yes you are correct they could buy 10% more stake at $19/share.

Surely I’m not comparing myself or other shareholders to them. I just mean they physically aren’t growing MJ yet, and have said publicly they won’t unless it becomes federally legal in the US. Whether they hold true to that statement or not remains to be seen. I see this as more or less a backdoor entry to make money in the industry without any operations. Much like the rest of us. That’s what I mean.

I still don’t consider them or myself involved. My money is, sure, but I have nothing else to do with the industry, neither do they really. It’s a bit of a head scratcher to me, why they haven’t. There are US companies growing weed for medical reasons, regardless of federal laws, and there are ways to do s and still be within the federal laws as well. If Altria wanted to get into this industry I don’t know why they haven’t already. If even on a small scale to perfect methods etc ahead of big moves.

I am very excited about this move. I’m sitting on a pile of CRON and honestly considered them the riskiest pot stock I’m in. They are small in comparison to companies like CGC and there’s a ton of unknown with them. This adds a level of validity to them in itself, for a company like this to invest in them.
View Quote
My assumption is that they are probably a lot more involved than you think with that kind of investment.  They will keep it silent because the more that people know, the more expensive it will get for them to have an impact.  Look at what happened to these stocks with the announcement was made.  For example, I promise you their lobbyists have a new focus but that won't hit any news ticker.

My guess as to why they haven't jumped in with both feet is two fold

1) The market hasn't been developed enough to where they can come in and have a huge impact day one.  When you have enough money, the size of the deal matters as much as the short term returns.  For example, they may not look at deals unless they are Billion dollar deals.  Putting time and money behind a $10M deal isn't worth it to a company that has a $100B valuation.  The time that a deal takes to manage isn't drasitcally different in terms of man hours for a $100M deal or a $1B deal.  So, if you can do $1B deals you do them and don't waste peoples time.  They let other people lay the ground work and they come in when the deal gets to the size where it is worth their time to pay attention.  Whatever they miss out on in terms of gains they largely save in terms of time and headache.  Plus they can cherry pick winners that have momentum instead of starting ground up.

2) Federally, there are still headwinds.  They have to protect their shareholders.  So far as I know, there isn't a way to report anything on taxes without being a drug dealer.  That isn't a position that they want to be in.  With a stock investment, they are just reporting a gain/loss on an investment.  It is a weird loophole where people can make money on what the gov't considers a drug without anyone giving a shit.

I could be full of shit, but I would imagine those two things have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My assumption is that they are probably a lot more involved than you think with that kind of investment.  They will keep it silent because the more that people know, the more expensive it will get for them to have an impact.  Look at what happened to these stocks with the announcement was made.  For example, I promise you their lobbyists have a new focus but that won't hit any news ticker.

1) The market hasn't been developed enough to where they can come in and have a huge impact day one.  When you have enough money, the size of the deal matters as much as the short term returns.  For example, they may not look at deals unless they are Billion dollar deals.  Putting time and money behind a $10M deal isn't worth it to a company that has a $100B valuation.  The time that a deal takes to manage isn't drasitcally different in terms of man hours for a $100M deal or a $1B deal.  So, if you can do $1B deals you do them and don't waste peoples time.  They let other people lay the ground work and they come in when the deal gets to the size where it is worth their time to pay attention.  Whatever they miss out on in terms of gains they largely save in terms of time and headache.  Plus they can cherry pick winners that have momentum instead of starting ground up.

2) Federally, there are still headwinds.  They have to protect their shareholders.  So far as I know, there isn't a way to report anything on taxes without being a drug dealer.  That isn't a position that they want to be in.  With a stock investment, they are just reporting a gain/loss on an investment.  It is a weird loophole where people can make money on what the gov't considers a drug without anyone giving a shit.

I could be full of shit, but I would imagine those two things have something to do with it.
View Quote
#2 is exactly what I was trying to say in my last post, you just said it much better than I did. The fact remains, Altria grows as much weed as I do, which is none.

#1 is an interesting angle to think about that I had not really considered.

For whatever its worth, what happened to this stock (CRON) after this news isn't ground breaking in the sense that this is what happens to any of these stocks (MJ) when ANY news happens. This is VERY big news and honestly I'm a little surprised that's all it (CRON) jumped. Altria had a spike but is back to what it was pre-news.

A very similar comparison would be to look at Constellation Brands investing about the same amount as Altria in Canopy Growth Company. CGC climbed and leveled off and Constellation actually slipped. Constellation eventually gained some traction but has fallen off again.

What is your opinion about buying into Altria at this point after this move? Altria scares the shit out of me. I know tobacco farmers (granted its mostly cigar leaf) but even they wont touch Altria. They seem to have been in a tail spin, vaporizers are kicking their ass, anti-smoking campaigns, losing customers worldwide, crushing taxes on their products etc. I would imagine they have to be looking at the MJ industry as a saving grace but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
#2 is exactly what I was trying to say in my last post, you just said it much better than I did. The fact remains, Altria grows as much weed as I do, which is none.

For whatever its worth, what happened to this stock (CRON) after this news isn't ground breaking in the sense that this is what happens to any of these stocks (MJ) when ANY news happens. This is VERY big news and honestly I'm a little surprised that's all it (CRON) jumped. Altria had a spike but is back to what it was pre-news.

A very similar comparison would be to look at Constellation Brands investing about the same amount as Altria in Canopy Growth Company. CGC climbed and leveled off and Constellation actually slipped. Constellation eventually gained some traction but has fallen off again.

What is your opinion about buying into Altria at this point after this move? Altria scares the shit out of me. I know tobacco farmers (granted its mostly cigar leaf) but even they wont touch Altria. They seem to have been in a tail spin, vaporizers are kicking their ass, anti-smoking campaigns, losing customers worldwide, crushing taxes on their products etc. I would imagine they have to be looking at the MJ industry as a saving grace but I could be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I honestly don't follow Altria enough to know so take this with a grain of salt.  I think that smoking is pretty prevalent globally still. You can't smoke indoors anywhere near where I live, but I am always surprised by the number of people that I see smoking outside of work buildings near me.  When we travel it seems like the market is still thriving....so I don't know on the demand side.

Looking at the stock in a quick glance, it definitely has downward momentum right now.  It seems like it is trading down in a range so it could be a decent trading stock.  It also might be worth holding.  Their PE is 9.5 and they have a forward dividend yield of almost 6% even while they are doing massive stock repurchases.  I usually hate companies that do repurchases (which has been all of them), but if they are already kicking off 6% in a dividend then that is probably a decent sign.  One year target estimate is $65 which is a 20%+ upside.  It would have to break the momentum down, but they may be catching a bottom...I'm not good enough on the technical side to say.  Might be worth grabbing a small portion, average down if necessary and see what happens.  I do think that Tobacco and Beverage companies stand to profit more on the MJ business than big pharma.  MJ crushes the pain pill market for big pharma.  It could also hurt some of their other markets once solid research is done on MJ as medicine.  What those companies need is to lock up the rights to something that only they own....kind of tough to do in the MJ world since it is a plant.

I think the constellation brands thing is interesting because I think they do a lot of beverage business.  If they create brands around beverages then their upside could be significant if the US gets onboard with legalization.  Interestingly, I did some quick reading and it looks like constellation is talking about a $5B stake in CGC.  If that happens, it could send some tradeable shockwaves.  It might be worth noting that CGC's short interest was about 10% of the market cap at the end of November.  It seems like they have some support where they are.  If STZ drops $5B on them then the short squeeze could send it up pretty fast...we shall see.  I still don't love these companies for buy and hold, but I am warming to them as short term trades
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Look for IL and NY to go legal with recreational green in 2019
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Update of Blozf
Coming soon?

Cannabis users drive high = need for breathalyzer
View Quote
Update? Maybe.

Any closer to market? I doubt it. Lol.

Article was useless, no new info, hardly any old info. Just a puff piece/ad.

From the bottom of the article.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I see your point and you may be right.

However, Cannabix has teamed up with Misty West to produce prototypes for testing.

Whether this comes to fruition or not, if they announce a tangible product that goes to testing there should be a nice bump in price. That is a good profit taking opportunity in my opinion.
DYODD  

Cannabix Technologies Engages MistyWest - Provides Development Update on Marijuana Breathalyzer

The Cannabix Marijuana Breathalyzer is being developed to give law enforcement and employers a tool to enforce public safety.

Vancouver, British Columbia -- November 15, 2018 -- InvestorsHub NewsWire -- Cannabix Technologies Inc. (CSE: BLO) (OTC PINK: BLOZF) (the "Company or Cannabix") developer of the Cannabix Marijuana Breathalyzer for law enforcement and the workplace, is pleased report that it has engaged a leading B.C. based engineering and design firm for the development of a handheld breath collection device for its marijuana breathalyzer unit. MistyWest Engineering of Vancouver has begun work on a portable handheld device that will provide for easy collection of breath samples at the point of care.

MistyWest is a highly regarded engineering and design firm that has worked on several high profile and innovative product development projects in North America demonstrating the ability to complete projects rapidly. Cannabix will use the new handheld unit for the collection of multiple samples from many users under a variety of conditions, quickly. The new breath collection unit ("BCU") will provide key physiologic breath sample data under different environmental conditions to determine the effects such parameters on a 9-tetrahydrocannabinol ("THC") breath sample. The device will be lightweight and include advanced display capabilities as well as temperature, pressure and relative humidity measurement capabilities. The BCU will be designed to collect numerous samples required for pilot and research testing and be easy to administer by untrained personnel. Furthermore, the BCU will allow scientists to store samples and determine the effects of decay time on the sample which is an important parameter in the evidentiary process. It is estimated that the new handheld unit will be ready by the end of this year. This BCU will interface directly with the innovative FAIMS (field asymmetric waveform ion mobility spectrometry) based instrument for the detection of THC in human breath that Cannabix is developing.

Dr. Raj Attariwala stated, "We are pleased to be working with a local firm MistyWest on the development of this breath collection unit as it will aid in our ability to collect multiple breath samples under various conditions to enhance our capacity for sample collection, storage and handling. The engineers at MistyWest have a lot of experience with human factor design and creating these kinds of devices efficiently. This will integrate with our added capacity for gas analysis using our new state of the art equipment at our Florida facility."

The Company also reports that it has recently expanded its lab space in Gainesville, Florida and acquired an additional Thermo Scientific GC mass spectrometer that is designed to analyze breath samples by using the gold standard for gas analysis by enabling thermal desorption from sorbent tubes. In addition, Cannabix has added additional electrical engineering staff in Vancouver.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

However, Cannabix has teamed up with Misty West to produce prototypes for testing.
View Quote
What have they been producing this whole time?

I agree with you about the “sell the news” and taking the profit sentiment. After all, I’m still gambling on them, too. But only for that. It would be awesome if they did, but I don’t expect they’ll ever develop anything.

That update reads just like all their other past updates. Tons of talking without actually saying anything. I’m cautiously optimistic. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see this be another Enron type business.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Just posting to keep from archiving.

All my pot stocks still holding strong.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Bought CGC last month, I'm in it for the long term like Constellation brands.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Its been having a good week.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, it has.

Piper Jaffray initiated coverage, at Overweight, and then yesterday CGC's partner Constellation had its quarterly conference call, and a $1.5 billion revenue figure for the next 1.5 years was mentioned for Canopy Growth.  That was waay over the top of Wall Street expectations.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Who are the big players in the US market if it were to be legalized here?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/its-official-canopy-growths-coming-to-america-after-all/ar-BBSfXqf
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
ACRGF, MMNFF, GTBIF

I’m losing my ass on MMNFF, and skipped on ACRGF when they were under 13.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Up 40+% over the last month. Still down from its highs but certainly trending in the right direction.

Everything else is having a good week, too.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Up 40+% over the last month. Still down from its highs but certainly trending in the right direction.

View Quote
Today was a good day!
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Today was a good day!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today was a good day!
Yea it was
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top