Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 8:08:44 AM EDT
Just curious to see if you can do this.
My only card is through my local bank, which I can pay in person.
I don't do any online banking.
Anyway, I was thinking about getting one of those cards with a good % of cash back for gas and groceries, and just use my local card to pay the other bill online.
Will this work, or do you get charged a fee which would make it pointless?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
No, you cannot.
ACH only.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#2]
You'd need to do a balance transfer
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
To pay a card payment online you use your bank account.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'd need to do a balance transfer
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#5]
As mak0 pointed out, you can - but it's considered a cash advance/balance transfer, and does indeed usually have fees. If you have some no-fee 0% balance transfer teaser checks, you could get away with it consequence-free during that promotion period, though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes you can if you your cc offers paper checks for balance transfers, etc...it's the ghetto version of working the system and usually involves fees.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:55:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Cash advance/Transfer is +4% on one of my CC. Rewards are only 1.5% on the other. So, I would lose 2.5% if I were to do this.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Do a cash advance.
Deposit cash.
Pay other card.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, you cannot.
ACH only.
View Quote
Incorrect. This is the kind of bad information that gives GD a bad rep. Stop it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Incorrect. This is the kind of bad information that gives GD a bad rep. Stop it.
View Quote
How am I wrong? Aside from a promotional balance transfer offer that might offer 0% fee for a BT one time, how are you going to pay a credit card with a credit card?

And even that isn’t paying a Cc with a Cc. That’s writing a check out to access the cash.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you have some no-fee 0% balance transfer teaser checks, you could get away with it consequence-free during that promotion period, though.
View Quote

This is the only way it's worthwhile.  One of my cards sends me those every few months, along with 0% interest for a 12-18 months.  The CC company hopes that the transfer amount doesn't get paid off before the deadline because then they hit you with all the interest going back to the transfer date.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How am I wrong? Aside from a promotional balance transfer offer that might offer 0% fee for a BT one time, how are you going to pay a credit card with a credit card?

And even that isn’t paying a Cc with a Cc. That’s writing a check out to access the cash.
View Quote
You partially answered your own question, but even without 0% offers for balance transfers, you can still transfer them. That's paying a card with a card.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You partially answered your own question, but even without 0% offers for balance transfers, you can still transfer them. That's paying a card with a card.
View Quote
No it’s not. You’re paying a card with a check that is a cash advance or accessing a line of credit, to write a check.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No it’s not. You’re paying a card with a check that is a cash advance or accessing a line of credit, to write a check.
View Quote
Not knowing what you're talking about is your right as an American. Use the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah you kind of can, but I wouldn't recommend it. I remember when I was young and dumb I accidentally maxed out my credit card and couldn't pay it off because of the high interest rates. So I got a new credit card and transferred the balance to the new card with no interest for the first year. It was a good plan in theory... However I didn't pay off the credit card in the first year and somehow I managed to end up with two maxed out credit cards which I couldn't pay off... haha, idiot right. I then smartened up and basically stopped paying the credit cards and saved up some cash and was able to settle both credit cards by calling them and negotiating a lump sum payment. Hurt my credit of course. But I got rid of those debts. Gotta be careful with those credit cards!!! Live and learn though. 
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
The "promo" checks I get in the mail say "Check Cash Advance" right on them. 4% fee, too. Not such a good deal. I wish they would stop sending them every month. Just one more thing to shred.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The "promo" checks I get in the mail say "Check Cash Advance" right on them. 4% fee, too. Not such a good deal. I wish they would stop sending them every month. Just one more thing to shred.
View Quote
Some say that, others are specifically for balance transfers and most don't say that.  At any given time, I have 3 companies sending me balance transfer checks with no fee.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#19]
If you need to do this the chase slate card is a great balance transfer card. I think i read it is free the first transfer and 0percent first year or something like that. They send me a thing a week trying to get me to apply.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]
"Topless mother is killed when she smashes her head into a lamp post while hanging out of a car"
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just curious to see if you can do this.
My only card is through my local bank, which I can pay in person.
I don't do any online banking.
Anyway, I was thinking about getting one of those cards with a good % of cash back for gas and groceries, and just use my local card to pay the other bill online.
Will this work, or do you get charged a fee which would make it pointless?
View Quote

google "manufactured spending" for a good primer on how to do this effectively.

you may want to start here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some say that, others are specifically for balance transfers and most don't say that.  At any given time, I have 3 companies sending me balance transfer checks with no fee.
View Quote
the best use i have found for those checks is to buy a car...
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Can-you-really-get-a-better-deal-on-a-new-car-when-paying-cash-/5-1576153/?page=1#i44859243

ar-jedi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top