User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Not saying VOO isn't a good index fund, but it's over $200/share.
View Quote
good grief.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thank you for your replies. I will be going to my bank tomorrow to see about opening a Roth IRA. I'd like to invest 5 to 10k this fall, including a certain amount of silver and gold.
View Quote
please, do not open a custodial account at a bank.

pick one of the big three:
- Fidelity
- Vanguard
- T. Rowe Price

all of the above have excellent internal funds, HUGE fund supermarkets of external funds, great online tools, account aggregation benefits, low costs, and are far more suited to what you are trying to do.

the vast utility of Fidelity's "FullView" tool alone makes it a much better option than ANY bank.
Vanguard offers some of the lowest ER index funds in the industry.
T. Rowe Price has excellent internal funds and one-click access to "Instant Xray", Morningstar's powerful portfolio analysis tool.

no brick and mortar bank is competitive on ANY facet compared to the above 3 account custodians.

ar-jedi <-- was in same place as OP 25 years ago, now easily in sight of early retirement...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

- Fidelity
- Vanguard
- T. Rowe Price

all of the above have excellent internal funds, HUGE fund supermarkets of external funds, great online tools, account aggregation benefits, low costs, and are far more suited to what you are trying to do.

the vast utility of Fidelity's "FullView" tool alone makes it a much better option than ANY bank.
T. Rowe Price has excellent internal funds and one-click access to "Instant Xray", Morningstar's powerful portfolio analysis tool.

no brick and mortar bank is competitive on ANY facet compared to the above 3 account custodians.

ar-jedi <-- was in same place as OP 25 years ago, now easily in sight of early retirement...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for your replies. I will be going to my bank tomorrow to see about opening a Roth IRA. I'd like to invest 5 to 10k this fall, including a certain amount of silver and gold.

- Fidelity
- Vanguard
- T. Rowe Price

I see. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
So I'm looking at opening a Roth IRA with Vanguard. I am at the step in which they are asking me what I want done with my dividends: Reinvest, or Transfer to your money market settlement fund. What is this second option? I assume I will want to reinvest...
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep. Reinvest. Otherwise the dividends aren't earning you money, they will just stagnate in your roth.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I see. Thank you.
View Quote
read and understand this:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-If-you-had-1k-to-invest/5-1669572/?page=3#i49571557
and this:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-If-you-had-1k-to-invest/5-1669572/?page=3#i49571729

moar primer:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____I_need_to_start_saving_for_retirement___Where_do_I_start_/5-1628800/?page=1#i47482466

see also:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Vanguard__Fidelity__TD_Ameritrade_or_another__For_IRAs__small_time_investing_and_speculating_for_fun/5-1672620/#i49685150

pay attention here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Vanguard__Fidelity__TD_Ameritrade_or_another__For_IRAs__small_time_investing_and_speculating_for_fun/5-1672620/#i49699589

fund "supermarket" defined:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____I_need_to_start_saving_for_retirement___Where_do_I_start_/5-1628800/?page=1#i47482651

buy and read this book, it's really important that you understand asset allocation given the road you are going down -- REALLY IMPORTANT!
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____I_need_to_start_saving_for_retirement___Where_do_I_start_/5-1628800/?page=1#i47485160
arfcom recommendations -->
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Got-a-Roth-IRA/5-1737565/?page=5#i53412536

misc bedtime reading
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Options-for-investing-beyond-401k-/5-1948796/#i63837223

summary
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Got_a_Roth_IRA/5-1737565/#i53017099

ps
do NOT "play" with money when you are young.  this is exactly the wrong mindset!
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-If-you-had-1k-to-invest/5-1669572/?page=4#i49623922

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I'm looking at opening a Roth IRA with Vanguard. I am at the step in which they are asking me what I want done with my dividends: Reinvest, or Transfer to your money market settlement fund. What is this second option? I assume I will want to reinvest...
View Quote
always reinvest.

please, read the first link above and make sure that you understand that an IRA (Traditional or Roth) is a type of tax-advantaged *account*, it is NOT an investment.  

what goes on INSIDE the the account is the part that is important to you.  and the "I" in IRA stands for "individual" -- as in "you" -- the person managing the contents of the account.
to wit: https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-If-you-had-1k-to-invest/5-1669572/?page=3#i49571729

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Read up on ETF index funds or another option is target date Funds.

There are companies that use use program buying such as
https://www.wealthfront.com/

Start early and keep at it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

good grief.

ar-jedi
View Quote
Have no fear, I've been educated by another poster.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:04:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do NOT open an investing/IRA account through your bank; go online to Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.

It will cost less and you will have far more options.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]
(1) Invest in a vasectomy.
(2) Develop the will to not get married. Buy a fleshlight.
(3) Cancel your cable TV. You can use your cell phone for interwebbing.
(4) Live within your means. Don't buy a new car every 3 years.
(5) Cook your own meals.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
good grief.

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I missing something? Not saying VOO isn't a good index fund, but it's over $200/share.
good grief.

ar-jedi
LOL.

I didn’t know how to respond to that either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:16:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No.

No.

Yep.

Yep.

(5) Cook your own meals.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

(5) Cook your own meals.
View Quote
Kids and a good marriage are some of life's greatest pleasures.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Buy some stocks or mutual funds don't overthink it
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
bogleheads.org
Read their wiki pages and visit their forums.  It is a plethora of knowledge on personal investing / retirement.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
To each his own.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To each his own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To each his own.
Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:12:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don’t go to your bank for an IRA or Roth IRA, go to vanguard or Fidelity. It’s gonna be cheaper. And you can only invest $5500 in an IRA per year.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Just opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard. Fully funded for this year. We'll see how it goes!
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:41:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard. Fully funded for this year. We'll see how it goes!
View Quote
Going with an ETF like VTI or one of their mutual funds?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Literally just clicked 'agree'. I'll look through the options when it goes through. Which would you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#23]
VTI or VOO is where I would start.  Their mutual funds have higher expense ratios until you have the $10k for Admiral shares.  So you may as well start out in VTI at .04% expense.

VTI is their whole US market fund. VOO is the S&P 500 fund.  VEU is good if you want international exposure.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like it'll take a day for the funds to go through. I'll keep you updated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm picking a few new ETF's each day. Almost allocated my 5500 for this year.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Which ones have you picked so far?

I cut my 401k last week, so the next couple months I'll be maxing my Roth.  I'm currently just holding VTI with my Roth, but I may branch into some VEU.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I was going to recommend VUG.

It appears you have a lot of overlap. Look at the holdings of each ETF. VGT has most of the same stocks as MGK which are also heavily included in VUG...and they’re all components of VOO and VTI. Not that it’s a bad thing, it’s fun to ‘trade’ different etfs. But your not adding additional diversification in doing that.

Also, VTEB, check in the benefits (or lack of) in having a tax exempt fund in a tax exempt account.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 6:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
@TacticalGarand44

is the 4th column the number of shares you bought?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
@TacticalGarand44

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@TacticalGarand44

ar-jedi
That's right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#31]
M* (morningstar) instant Xray tool
http://portfolio.morningstar.com/RtPort/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx?dt=0.7055475

put in dollar values OR put in percentages totaling 100%...

click "show instant xray"

Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That's right.
View Quote
just FYI, mutual funds can be purchased (and most often are) at "fractional shares".

vanguard has an "equivalent" mutual fund for just about every ETF they have.

so, with a mutual fund, you place your order as a dollar value (e.g. "$1000") rather than a number of shares.

you paid a lot of commissions (percentage-wise) to construct that ETF portfolio.

there are some other benefits to using funds,
http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/vanguard%E2%80%99s-mutual-funds-better-its-etfs?nopaging=1

please read post this as well
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/What-stocks-or-mutual-funds-would-you-buy-with-2000-a-week-/133-2040340/#i68631996

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

just FYI, mutual funds can be purchased (and most often are) at "fractional shares".

vanguard has an "equivalent" mutual fund for just about every ETF they have.

so, with a mutual fund, you place your order as a dollar value (e.g. "$1000") rather than a number of shares.

you paid a lot of commissions (percentage-wise) to construct that ETF portfolio.

there are some other benefits to using funds,
http://www.etf.com/sections/index-investor-corner/vanguard%E2%80%99s-mutual-funds-better-its-etfs?nopaging=1

please read post this as well
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/What-stocks-or-mutual-funds-would-you-buy-with-2000-a-week-/133-2040340/#i68631996

ar-jedi
View Quote
By commissions, are you referring to the bid/ask spread?  Since he's trading through Vanguard and using Vanguard ETF's, he shouldn't be paying any trade costs.

My thought was to use the ETF's to accumulate until he reaches the $10k threshold.  After that he can move from the ETF's into the mutual funds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I paid zero commission for all of these.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Buy a nice big safe.   Buy 10-12 ARs from reputable Mfg before end of year and 5k of quality 5.56.

Moving forward: Each month, buy a new pistol or revolver.  For the purpose of this exercise, stay mainstream.   Glock, Sig, Colt, Kimber, S&W, HK   Buy a case of ammo for each caliber you invest each month.

Each year - pick out one of the firearms and shoot a case thru it.   Put it back into safe.    

Repeat.   Add additional safes as needed.  

If you feel the need to diversify add in a O/U or pump shotgun or a quality bolt action (add in, not substitute).  Don’t forget the case of ammo.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Buy a nice big safe.   Buy 10-12 ARs from reputable Mfg before end of year and 5k of quality 5.56.

Moving forward: Each month, buy a new pistol or revolver.  For the purpose of this exercise, stay mainstream.   Glock, Sig, Colt, Kimber, S&W, HK   Buy a case of ammo for each caliber you invest each month.

Each year - pick out one of the firearms and shoot a case thru it.   Put it back into safe.    

Repeat.   Add additional safes as needed.  

If you feel the need to diversify add in a O/U or pump shotgun or a quality bolt action (add in, not substitute).  Don’t forget the case of ammo.  
View Quote
1)
this is a perfect, classic example of over-allocation in a single asset class, which dramatically increases portfolio risk.

a very large portion of your investments could be "non-performing".  that is, they don't even keep up with inflation, and you are screwed.

2)
this is a perfect, classic example of over-allocation in a single asset class, which dramatically increases portfolio risk.

a single piece of legislation and you are screwed.

3)

a major fire or theft and you are screwed.

4)

a single legal entanglement (protection order, etc) making you a prohibited person (even temporarily) and you are screwed.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I do understand what you guys are saying about the risk, but farming is somewhat volatile in and of itself. I'd prefer my extra investments to be very safe, even with lower yield. Does that make sense? Or can you talk me into a riskier viewpoint?
View Quote
Sounds like you could use 2 types.
1 - Use money you know you can do without and invest monthly into an aggressive fund yet reputable fund. Set it and check back in 10 years.
2 - Use the other money in a less risky yield like bonds doing something possibly like bond laddering.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

1)

a very large portion of your investments could be "non-performing".  that is, they don't even keep up with inflation, and you are screwed.

Cut our repetitive stuff....

ar-jedi
View Quote
No different than stocks and bonds you don’t have in hand nor do you control.      I’ve lost far more on the advice of stock peddlers, or greed or corporate mismanagement.   Even the researchers got screwed.   Can you say Enron or MCI.   On the other hand I still kick myself for only purchasing 3 HK 91/93’s when they were $389.

In the event of changing legal or environmental conditions these assets reallocate into a more aggressive role.  Either defensive to protect ones positions and assets or to acquire whatever assets are necessary to survive and thrive.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No different than stocks and bonds you don’t have in hand nor do you control.      I’ve lost far more on the advice of stock peddlers, or greed or corporate mismanagement.   Even the researchers got screwed.   Can you say Enron or MCI.   On the other hand I still kick myself for only purchasing 3 HK 91/93’s when they were $389.

In the event of changing legal or environmental conditions these assets reallocate into a more aggressive role.  Either defensive to protect ones positions and assets or to acquire whatever assets are necessary to survive and thrive.
View Quote
Ar-jedi knows what he's talking about. Their is a huge difference between holding a couple individual stocks and holding VTI or a broad index fund.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top