Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2017 11:47:22 AM EDT
Escrow used to pay my property taxes in December.  The house is paid off now, so I am responsible for paying property taxes directly for the first time.

When exactly are property taxes due?  Like I said, escrow always paid them at the end of December.

Will I get a paper bill from the county?  Or am I just supposed to know?

What is this I hear about paying 2 years of property taxes at once?  I understand how that would help if you itemize, but I don't understand how or when to do it.  The 2017 taxes I should pay soon, but I would prepay 2018 taxes as well?  My txases change every year due to appraisal districts trying to pry every red cent they can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Here we have to pay half of the bill for the year in January and half in july. We get a bill a month in advance. We just go to the town hall and pay them or mail it in
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on paying off the mortgage!!

Call the county tax assessor office to see how they handle it.  NYC bills quarterly.  Hillsborough County Florida sends an annual bill.  You have to request quarterly payments in Florida if that is how you prefer to make payment.

I always find it amusing that my Florida tax payment is made out to "Doug Belden, Tax Collector" instead of something like Hillsborough County Department of Finance.

While paying off my NY mortgage I had so many problems with them making the correct tax payments that I had them stop so I could pay my taxes myself.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
State to state varies, here it's twice a year, but the interesting part is June's payment covers the latter half of the previous calendar year.

I do get a mailed reminder but it's usually about 4 months ahead of due date, just long enough to forget about it when it becomes due. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#4]
They will send you a bill in January if not then call the county  tax assessor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I was able to find that late fees do not accrue until February, so I could pay it in January 2018.  Then I could pay 2018 taxes in December 2018.  That way I could claim them both for taxes.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#6]
found this website. find your county, and there should be a pretty easy way to look up your info.

hurray taxes :/
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was able to find that late fees do not accrue until February, so I could pay it in January 2018.  Then I could pay 2018 taxes in December 2018.  That way I could claim them both for taxes.
View Quote
 Make sure you  contact your county  tax assessor to review that all the owner and address information is correct. There is a lot of derp that can happen in county and muni tax offices.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This is correct.

You will get a bill.  You already have every year - you just got a copy of it.  Its exactly the same thing.

Once you pay off your home, there is a good chance your itemized deductions will be less than or very close to your standard deduction.  If that is the case, then you want to pay property taxes every other year, in order to use the standard deduction one year, then itemize for the fullest possible tax benefit the next.

I pay my property taxes in January, and December of the same year on odd years.  On even years, I don't pay any property taxes.  

The tax deduction is taken in the year you pay it, not the year you got the bill.  Since ours aren't due until Feb, but we get the bill in Nov/Dec timeframe, this works well.

The other thing to remember is paying your home insurance.  I was not used to that, and didn't pay attention when it came in the mail, that it was a bill.  Got a cancellation in the mail.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#9]
My city sends a bill in the begining of the calendar year.  You can pay it all at once, or a 3 payment plan over the year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top