Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2017 11:30:52 AM EDT
I may be in the wrong spot but here it goes.  I retired from DHS under the old CSRS retirement with only a few SS credits and not enough to get  SS retirement at 65.  My wife can get SS retirement according to her SS statement.

I've had 3 people tell me that they will get a SS check when their spouse retires even if they doesn't have the right amount of credits or no credits. Sound right?

I've looked on the SSA website for this but not finding anything but could be looking in the wrong place.  Thanks for looking.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:40:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not think it works like that, my wife can't draw off my SS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I say but 3 different people have told us this.  Besides I can't draw anything because my CSRS retirement will be reduced if I get SS benefits.

Turns out I didn't have to pay the U.S. govt for my military time because of a provision in effect when I entered federal service.  I could get credit of military time to my retirement but could not get SS benefits or I get a reduction.  Don't know if it evens out or not but I'll have to go to the local office and ask.  Hate to do that with the long lines and sometimes less than cheery personnel that work there.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#3]
From the SSA website:

What is the eligibility for Social Security spouse’s benefits and my own retirement benefits?
If you have not worked or do not have enough Social Security credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits, you may be able to receive spouse’s benefits.
To qualify for spouse’s benefits, you must be:

At least 62 years of age; or
   Any age and caring for a child entitled to receive benefits on your spouse’s record who is younger than age 16 or disabled.

Your full spouse’s benefit could be up to one-half the amount your spouse is entitled to receive at their full retirement age. If you choose to begin receiving spouse’s benefits before you reach full retirement age, your benefit amount will be permanently reduced.

You will receive your full spouse’s benefit amount if you wait until you reach full retirement age to begin receiving benefits. You will also receive the full amount if you are caring for a child entitled to receive benefits on your spouse’s record who is younger than age 16 or disabled.

If you do have enough credits to qualify for your own Social Security benefits and you apply for your own retirement benefits and for benefits as a spouse, we always pay your own benefits first. If your benefits as a spouse are higher than your own retirement benefits, you will get a combination of benefits equaling the higher spouse benefit.

Here is an example:

Mary Ann qualifies for a retirement benefit of $250 and a spouse’s benefit of $400. At her full retirement age, she will receive her own $250 retirement benefit, and we will add $150 from her spouse’s benefit, for a total of $400.

Keep in mind that you may have options to increase your benefit amounts. For more information, see the FAQs on Claiming Changes, Deemed Filing, and Voluntary Suspense.
If you are at least 62 years of age and you wish to apply for retirement or spouse’s benefits, you can use our online retirement application to apply for one or both benefits.

If you are divorced

If you are divorced and your marriage lasted at least 10 years, you may be able to get benefits on your former spouse’s record.
See If You Are Divorced for more information.

If your spouse or ex-spouse is deceased

If your spouse is deceased, see If You Are the Worker’s Widow Or Widower for more information.
If your ex-spouse is deceased, see If You’re the Worker’s Surviving Divorced Spouse.
View Quote
SSA FAQ
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#4]
CSRS=Clearly Superior Retirement System. And thats why it's not available to us young FLETC whipper snappers.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From the SSA website:

SSA FAQ
View Quote
Thanks for that, still seems wrong if you didn't earn the credits.  

CSRS is nice.  I retired with 82% of my salary and I actually make about the same as when I was working.  Glad I never switched over.  If I do get SS through my wife I'll lose 4 years of time and that will drop my pension down into the high 70% but I need to check to see if I lose, gain or stay the same if I take some SS benefit through my wife.

If there's a fault with the new system under TSP is that some people put in the least they can when they should max it out. On retirement it will make a big difference.

Thanks for the feedback.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top