Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2017 9:32:51 AM EDT
New member here to AR-15.com. I've been working to assemble a precision rifle club/group in Kansas, however I am stuck on whether to move forward as an LLC or as a non-profit. Both have their obvious advantages/disadvantages (liability, ownership, etc.) The idea is to collect membership dues and use such to benefit the group for training opportunities, purchases, and such. I was wondering if anyone could offer some accurate insight into what would be the best move. Most importantly, can a non-profit obtain an FFL? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:49:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Can a non profit obtain a FFL? Run an ATF eZCheck on FFL# 1-54-###-##*##-00725, and then research to see that person's affiliation. 
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:Most importantly, can a non-profit obtain an FFL? Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:Most importantly, can a non-profit obtain an FFL? Thanks.
No, an FFL is a business license and from the description of your activities (primarily education) it sounds like you want to form a 501c3.

Quoted:
Can a non profit obtain a FFL? Run an ATF eZCheck on FFL# 1-54-###-##*##-00725, and then research to see that person's affiliation. 
That is a bad example.  The FFL is held in the name of the person as a sole proprietor, not the 501c3 corporation that pays him.

In the same vein I sit on the board of a 501c3, my LLC holds an 07 FFL, and neither of them have anything to do with me as an individual.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming it's the same person and not simply someone with the same name, that's mighty hypocritical of them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
IMO.. from a basic point of view. Yes. Any legal eniety can. persons of responsibility (corporate officer) would be listed.
A better question is, does it make sense from a logistical and operational/corporate point of view ?
Depending on exactly what you have in mind will guide that thought process. Corporate Attorney time.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No, an FFL is a business license and from the description of your activities (primarily education) it sounds like you want to form a 501c3.

That is a bad example.  The FFL is held in the name of the person as a sole proprietor, not the 501c3 corporation that pays him.

In the same vein I sit on the board of a 501c3, my LLC holds an 07 FFL, and neither of them have anything to do with me as an individual.
View Quote
I get what you're saying by pure semantic interpretation, but let's be real, BATFE knows who that person is, and I'll bet he was very forth coming when the IOI came out to interview him. 
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 1:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information all. After some deep research and soul-searching, we ended up going non-profit - it just seemed better for what we are trying to accomplish. For the mode of our operations, obtaining an FFL seems unnecessary at this time. We may apply for an NFA trust or a gunsmithing license down the road.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top