Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2017 10:32:45 AM EDT
Hi all,

Both of my kids ages 9 and 12 have a modest amount of money to invest.

Which Broker do you recommend (Schwab, Scottrade? )

Also, which ETFs do you recommend to buy and hold and  Dollar cost average?

Thank you for any recommendations for low-cost and reputable  brokers.

JP
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:16:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you stealing this money from your children?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Vanguard or Fidelity. Read anything you can find by the author John Bogle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Scottrade was acquired by TD Ameritrade. I wouldn't mind Vanguard or Fidelity, as I have a few of their funds. I believe you can purchase their funds fee free if you have a certain buy in amount.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vanguard or Fidelity. Read anything you can find by the author John Bogle.
View Quote
This. I'm pulling money from Scottrade this year and moving to Vanguard.  I like that you can trade their ETF's for free.  I believe Fidelity also has several good ETF options that are free to trade if you have an account with them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The advantages of the etrades, Ameritrade's, scottrades are shrinking every quarter.

If you're a day trader, options or similar they are the way to go. But a buy and hold type of investment, fidelity and vanguard are leaders in the pack.

Vanguard had $7.99 stock trades for a while meanwhile, as Jaqu or others mentioned, free purchases of their funds.

Vang/fide offer nearly the same services at about the same price and you get a discount on their funds.

For that reason, we have moved ALL our accounts including short term and long term accounts to vanguard. Multiple etrades and Ameritrade's over. We flat out couldn't come up with a reason to use any other platform.

Your example, buy and hold like that, I'm buying vanguard snp type of funds not necessarily etf's.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:50:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Tagged for later
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The advantages of the etrades, Ameritrade's, scottrades are shrinking every quarter.

If you're a day trader, options or similar they are the way to go. But a buy and hold type of investment, fidelity and vanguard are leaders in the pack.

Vanguard had $7.99 stock trades for a while meanwhile, as Jaqu or others mentioned, free purchases of their funds.

Vang/fide offer nearly the same services at about the same price and you get a discount on their funds.

For that reason, we have moved ALL our accounts including short term and long term accounts to vanguard. Multiple etrades and Ameritrade's over. We flat out couldn't come up with a reason to use any other platform.

Your example, buy and hold like that, I'm buying vanguard snp type of funds not necessarily etf's.
View Quote
This is correct, Vanguard and Fidelity keep lowering their trading cost for straight stock trades. Fidelity is down to $4.95/trade, and their funds are either on par or better than Vanguard for low fees.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#8]
vanguard. lowest fees in the industry, drop even lower once you hit X amount. I have my kid's 529 through them
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Scottrade is gone so don't use them, they will be absorbed in 2018.  
Charles swab is likely who I will switch to.  I am a dividend investor mainly so the others aren't the best for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:35:39 AM EDT
[#10]
For a buy and hold investment, I'd use Vanguard. Depending on how much money it is, there's typically a $3,000 minimum buy-in for mutual funds. I'd start with the S&P500 and expand from there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#12]
TD ameritrade

Free etf trades of VTI. Total stock market buy for free and forget. Your kids will thank you later.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My son is 2 1/2 we opened up a TDAmeritrade account before he was 1.

I wanted to make investing fun so I picked companies a boy would want to own AND would be good investments long into the future. His stocks so far are

CAT (Caterpillar)
BO (Boeing)
BRK.B (Berkshire Hathaway)

So once he's a little older whenever he sees a construction Job with CAT machines he will know his company built them.

When we fly anywhere it will be "If it ain't Boeing I ain't going"

....and he is obsessed with trains so Berkshire owns BNSF (along with a ton of other companies)

Investing for kids should be fun and they should actually get to see what their companies make and in action out in the real world.
View Quote
That's a cool way of looking at it.

Did you open the account in your son's name or just in yours? Any hassles with opening an account for a minor?
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top