Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2017 11:28:30 PM EDT
I'm working on forming an LLC. Of course part of it is selecting a registered agent to accept formal financial legal documents on the LLCs behalf. Who are you guys using for your RA services? I'm setting it up with legal zoom and they are offering their own RA services for $160/yr. I'm tempted to go this route just because its all nice and neat.

Do any of you actually do it yourself? My understand is that the RA duties are pretty significant.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Myself
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Myself
View Quote
Could you share any details? Is it a small business? do you use your home address? What are the ramifications of not always being present?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I was a member until recently of an LLC formed between myself and 6 others.  
I was also the registered agent.
The LLC was the lease holder for some hunting property.

The registered agent is not a big deal.  It just needs to be a responsible person that is willing to be the point of contact for any legal matters that may arise.  That could be if the tax man has a question, or if someone files a lawsuit against the LLC, the RA will be the person expected to accept the papers and be responsible enough to act on it appropriately.  If you are your own agent and something does arise, you need to be sure your response is correct.  If it is something legal that you are unsure of then at that time contact your attorney or look to get one.  For a large corporation you can see where this is needed, letters addressed to the CEO might get missed or delayed in being responded to, whereas if the RA is a designated Law Firm, or the corporations own lead attorney it is much easier to be sure it is handled appropriately.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If you and the LLC are registered in the same state it's easy to be the registered agent for the LLC.
Most states required a instate Registered agent to be in the same state.  
Your primary job is to accept legal papers for the LLC and pass on the legal documents to parties of the LLC that need to receive them.  (Lawyer, account, LLC partners)
If the LLC is registered in one state and you live in another state you will most likely need a registered agent to forward you any local or state forms sent to the LLC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Could you share any details? Is it a small business? do you use your home address? What are the ramifications of not always being present?
View Quote
Do you plan on being served every day or something? Even an attorney isn't at their office every day, and they can be your registered agent.

You're just the first contact listed for the co.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
RA services for $160/yr.

My understand is that the RA duties are pretty significant.
View Quote

Think of it this way, if RA duties were significant, why would they charge so little??

2 years ago my wife and I setup a LLC through a well versed local attorney. The attorney asked us if we wanted to be the RA or if we wanted to list him. He said it's basically the main point of contact for filings, renewals and typical yearly or renewal paperwork. People move or change addresses. He didn't charge us any more money but it further locked us in (in theory) to keeping him our attorney. His secretary would then notify us for renewals or any extra paperwork that came in residually.

We used an attorney due to our industry as he knew it's ins/outs etc. If I was doing something simple, I'd do legal zoom or other. In fact, when I setup the LLC for our house to be rental property in the near future, I'll go that route.

If it's your first time, no harm in making the safe play.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you make a move one way or the other? It's fun isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep! I submitted Friday  
Since. I couldn't decide if I should pay for a service or do you it myself I decided to invent a third option. Make my wife the RA!

She's the accountant and in charge of compliance anyway.

I appreciate the help guys I'm in uncharted waters myself and trying to learn fast I almost paid for the service!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife is the RA for at least 3 entities. It takes her less than 2 hours per year, for ALL of them combined.

-shooter
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top