Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2017 1:41:15 PM EDT
Some time back I signed up for a Personal Capital account. It was a nice front end to all my different retirement accounts I've accumulated over the years from various employer programs and such (I dont roll IRAs along as I go, I just keep them "as is"). 

Now to be fair, I do like the Personal Capital site. It allows me to link my accounts and then from their portal I can see portfolio balances and performance as well the overall balance of all sources. Basically a quick and easy snapshot of what I have and how its doing. Which is great, saves logging in to each account explicitly.

Now this is a free service, but it doesnt come without a string. They track who uses the program and if you meet their requirements you can expect a call. They are super polite and courteous but.....You WILL get a call.

So I'm not against continuing to use Personal Capital, but the once a quarter phone call is a pleasant reminder I'm using a free service thats used to fish for new clients. I'm curious what others use as a account planner / manager that allows you to easily track multiple retirement accounts? 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Method 1:  Vanguard plus all of my other-than-Vanguard accounts tracked through Vanguard.

Method 2:  Excel spreadsheet with autoupdate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Method 1:  Vanguard plus all of my other-than-Vanguard accounts tracked through Vanguard.

Method 2:  Excel spreadsheet with autoupdate.
View Quote
I've never even looked at the setup, but you can have Excel query a website which requires log in information? 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm interested in the answer to this as well.

Edit: ^
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
No, but Excel will retrieve stock quotes, so as long as it is a "regular" stock, ETF, etc. with a ticker symbol it can populate your spreadsheet(s).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Personal Capital, Mint, and a personal spreadsheet that gets updated annually to track my progress. FWIW I think both Mint and Personal Capital are rapidly developing, and soon one of them will have much superior retirement planning so I'll switch to just one, but at the moment mint has a better day to day tracking for budgets, and PC has a better retirement interface.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Excel.

Fed by Mint. Personalcapital is nice; I turned them away a couple times and they stopped calling.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#8]
if you have a vanguard fund, you can record all of your holdings there, updated everyday
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Well for another data point, I am going semi-old school super nerd.

Master household spreadsheet second tab is labeled "Net Worth".
At the top, it lists all assets then minus liabilities for total assets worth. This should only change once a month after house payment or selling assets.

Mid section of the tab lists all cash accounts balances such as checking & savings. These shouldn't be changing daily as these are the baseline balances not the day to day postings. I don't tweak these or even fool with it as this is my 6-month emergency fund balance and the likes in savings.

Bottom section, Retirement:
I list out Vanguard Roth, Vanguard IRA and other accounts in the columns. Every day i'll login then record the balance into the spreadsheet. Vanguard interface is easy plus we have an etrade login and just grab the number out of it.

Very bottom: Auto calculate net worth based on assets-liabilities+cash+retirement.

It's a very motivating exercise as you can quickly see where you stand, where the soft spots are and where you need to focus.

I personally am not a fan of sharing logins or that type of information with Mint or any other software. It takes me 3 minutes top to login to the different retirement accounts then populate the cells. Easy stuff and i have control.

If anyone would like a template or a visual of how it looks, let me know and i'll gladly share. Of course i'll change the numbers to pesos :)

Personal finance is personal behaviors driven by emotion not pure mechanics of math.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top