Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 9:41:17 AM EDT
hey, the camel spiders comin out at your locations yet? i havent seen many here, startin to warm up though... haven't had a good camel spider fight in a while.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen a few small ones, about 1" in size. But then again it hasnt been all that hot here near Balad. I have seen some monster black ants, though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#2]
those little bastards are all over out here. we also have the little brown gekos that are chillin on the walls by out porch lights. they are fast as hell, I havent been able to catch them yet.
Scorpion fights are always fun too.

I hear it's been a little quiet at Balad lately
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I heard they got the "Midnight Mortar" team awhile back. Or was that just a rumor?

I went through there twice whilst I was "vacationing" in Iraq, and both times we had the mortar thing going on. Mostly, I noticed that everyone just kinda chilled out in the bunkers(or outside close by) while the rounds got exchanged, then everything went back to normal. Not a lot of people wearing battle rattle there, either. It was pretty cush, from my perspective...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I heard they got the "Midnight Mortar" team awhile back. Or was that just a rumor?

I went through there twice whilst I was "vacationing" in Iraq, and both times we had the mortar thing going on. Mostly, I noticed that everyone just kinda chilled out in the bunkers(or outside close by) while the rounds got exchanged, then everything went back to normal. Not a lot of people wearing battle rattle there, either. It was pretty cush, from my perspective...

yeah, they waxed those fuckers good... they went out on a limb and hit us three days in a row, the third day they werent so lucky, AH-64 gave them a little thankyou card.

it is pretty cush, I get pissed when our cappy freaks out and has us put on our shit... we are in a hardened facility, I kinda figure if its my time to go, aint nothin stopping it..
but then again I understand her frame of mind as well.

We have a new enemy thats been coming in close range... those friggin red centipedes
one of em bit one of my SSgts a while ago, he's held a grudge ever since, score is
SSgt Smat 5
centipedes 1  
LOL
we stomped two, scorched one with hand sanitizer (that shit is flammable) and chopped the other two in half.

how's everything going at your neck of the woods?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Not sure if this is the real deal or another army legend....

The story goes, a unit is qualifying in kuwait and calls a cease fire because there is a dog downrange.  They go to get the dog and it turns out to be a camel spider.  My old SL told me that it happened to him, but he's known for "enhancing" the truth.

Biggest one I saw would fit in a k-pot, still way to big for me.  Between those fuckers and the day-glow scorpions I was so happy to leave that place for baghdad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]

A few wildlife photos my wife took last year.  The rat is from FOB Sykes (Tal Afar AB) and the spider (attacking a quarter) and lizard are from FOB Endurance (Q-West AB).

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:15:16 AM EDT
[#7]
we had one we caught on my first deployment, we threw it in a licorice (sp?) can, the big plastic ones..
it pretty much spread itself across the whole bottom of the can.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Any of you guys ever seen one of those big ass black things-about like a HUGE grasshopper but with some crazy little claws that fold up neatly along side?  There were a shitload of those things at FOB Headhunter in the spring-right when we got there.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top