Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:53:22 PM EDT
Well i made it out of Iraq. Im just waiting around for a flight out of Kuwait. This is supposed to be Rest and Relaxation. I havent seen it yet. Its gonna end up taking me 3 days to get back home. Grr....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:22:46 PM EDT
lol, just relax and roll with it, i had a bitch of a time getting back when i came, took like 6 days to get from iraq to the states.

enjoy ur time at home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:43:36 PM EDT
Enjoying lovely Camp Doha? LOL, I hate that place. I flew back civilian and made it to CRC in about 35 including a lay over in Amman.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:19:28 PM EDT
Enjoy your time home.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:10:42 PM EDT
Just consider it extra free time. At least they aren't charging travel time to leave.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:29:23 AM EDT
Exactly. Son's didn't start until midnight of the day he came in. Which we thought was really good.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:45:49 PM EDT
Yeap 2 weeks leave = 3 1/2 weeks away from your unit. It will probably be the same way when come back. You will probably sit there for a few days waiting on trans back to your unit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:45:33 PM EDT
well it took me about 72 hours to get to the house. I think i only slept about 5 hours out of that time. I just finally got some sleep. Its so nice to be home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:04:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2006 12:12:54 PM EDT by GulDuCal]
Welcome home!

The first week of R&R goes pretty fast. It's great being back. You'll appreciate the simple stuff like having running water only a few steps away; having access to a real bathroom all to yourself; sleeping in a real bed; TV with real commercials; having a really good steak; driving around and not worrying about IEDs/ambushes, staying on route, commo with task-forces, stopping anywhere you want; driving with the windows rolled down; not having to breathe burning trash all the time; not being eaten up by sand flies,... etc.

I went on R&R during the summer and was happy to escape Iraq's hot weather.

By the second week, it hits you that "I only have a couple more days," then you start counting down each day, thinking, "what else do I need to square-away while I can?" up until the night before you have to return to Iraq.

Enjoy your leave.

Camp Doha is shut down. I was one of the last R&R groups to go through Doha last year. They expanded Ali al Salim and looked totally different when I redeployed.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:13:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GulDuCal:
Welcome home!

The first week of R&R goes pretty fast. It's great being back. You'll appreciate the simple stuff like having running water only a few steps away; having access to a real bathroom all to yourself; sleeping in a real bed; TV with real commercials; having a really good steak; driving around and not worrying about IEDs/ambushes, staying on route, commo with task-forces, stopping anywhere you want; driving with the windows rolled down; not having to breathe burning trash all the time; not being eaten up by sand flies,... etc.

I went on R&R during the summer and was happy to escape Iraq's hot weather.

By the second week, it hits you that "I only have a couple more days," then you start counting down each day, thinking, "what else do I need to square-away while I can?" up until the night before you have to return to Iraq.

Enjoy your leave.

you pegged that right on the money. So far this week ive been just tying to rest while im here. ill prob go and party this weekend. I had 2 beers last night and i felt kinda tipsy. lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:00:55 AM EDT
Enjoy, Stingerjg. Son was working on cramming a years worth of drinking into 2 weeks. As he said even just having a shower(since theirs got blown up) and a toilet that flushes was some of his luxuries. He's also been busy replacing his electronics and music since they all got blown up also. He's been enjoying all the food too,since he has nothing nice to say about KBR and the Defac.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:17:43 PM EDT
5 more days of R&R untill i go back to the shithole. It would be so easy to just not go back........lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:20:11 PM EDT
another thing i remembered that i miss is, eating w/ silverware and real plates. No more styrofoam 'to-go' boxes and plastic ware.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:18:26 AM EDT
One of the best things about R&R was: SEX!!!

Beer was another plus

A steak that was atually grilled, instead of having the grill marks painted on(not sure, but I suspect that's how the DFAC does it...)

Not having to breathe air tainted by the sulphur pit, the dumping ground, the honey truck pit, or iraqis.

Come to think of it, now that I've been back for two months, I'm STILL glad to be home. The glamour hasn't faded even yet...
Top Top