Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#1]
mines bigger!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i have agood idea about you, i bet you have been to iraq maybe once, and i bet you are NG arent you. YOU have to  be,  That would explain it. I could understand this coming from a PVT. But damn guy you have about 9 years worth of Active Duty and only an E-5, that tells alot right there. I have to same amount in and i am an E-7.  Lets see here, ya, i think i know my shit.  I would hate to see your soldiers if you are like this on the internet.  Man you must have some real issues.

He is right you are wrong, and coming from someone who is in a unit doing the same mission, rest assured they got more TTP's and info about IEDs when they headed over than most others, and due to the equipment they have, and the nature of the mission, their own unique TTP's come into play, not those for Joe Convoy who just happens across some.

And keep it on the SIPR or better, damm thats what it is there for.
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the pics. I like seeing whats going on.

BTW can someone tell me what this is that I have outlined.

Link Posted: 6/20/2005 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what you have outlined but the man standing near it with the silver clipboard looks like he's  looking for someone to put on his list so that he can administer a severe case of "Whup-A**"
An earlier post stated this was #5 on the "hit" parade and by the look on his face there sure as he## won't be a #6 if he has anything to do about it!

Good luck to all serving now. Thanks to all who have served in the past. Best wishes and God Speed to those who will shortly be going in harms way!
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I don't know th technical name for it but we always referred to it as an 'RPG fence'. Its designed to defeat RPG's. In theory the RPG is supposd to detonate upon hittng the metal slats as opposed to the armor itself, thereby preventing the RPG from penetrating the vehicle armor...
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Awsome pics, but I got one question, what the heck is this?
www.supportourwarriors.com/gallery/albums/ARMY-PHOTOS/iraq_770.jpg

Looks like a flare pistol modified with a sleeve to fire a 7.62x39 Soviet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:54:06 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys are doing awesome.  Stay safe brother.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 12:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know th technical name for it but we always referred to it as an 'RPG fence'. Its designed to defeat RPG's. In theory the RPG is supposd to detonate upon hittng the metal slats as opposed to the armor itself, thereby preventing the RPG from penetrating the vehicle armor...

Those are ID panels fielded in the '90s as a fratricide reduction measure, based on Gulf War AARs.  They show up as a black square in IR.  They have been on HMMWV's long before HMMWV's had any armor (except the MP's) and are nothing but thin sheet metal!
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those are ID panels fielded in the '90s as a fratricide reduction measure, based on Gulf War AARs.  They show up as a black square in IR.  They have been on HMMWV's long before HMMWV's had any armor (except the MP's) and are nothing but thin sheet metal!

Thanks for clearing that up. The one's we were given to install were far from thin metal. They were extremely heavy and consisted of heavy gauge steel. We were told they were designed to thwart RPG's for the reasons given above...God knows I'm far from an expert on the subject. After all, I'm only a Grunt Corpsman...
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Czech flare pistol, I'm pretty sure, and I *THINK* the loose round is a Russian 14.5mm round.
Link Posted: 6/21/2005 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey Tanker,  ya that is exacltly what it is, we found alot well we were over there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for clearing that up. The one's we were given to install were far from thin metal. They were extremely heavy and consisted of heavy gauge steel. We were told they were designed to thwart RPG's for the reasons given above...God knows I'm far from an expert on the subject. After all, I'm only a Grunt Corpsman...

We referred to them as IFF panels-to further expand on them-there's thermal tape on them, in one direction they show up as Blk, the other white, depending on what thermal mode you are viewing them in. NVG's will not detect any difference. IIRC they are marked on the backside telling you direction is "ON".
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks from the 50th state.  Mahalo for your courage.
Link Posted: 6/27/2005 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Czech flare pistol, I'm pretty sure, and I *THINK* the loose round is a Russian 14.5mm round.

hey, that could also be an east german flare pistol! look for a circle inside a diamond, if it has one, take it! those things are pretty rare stateside...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:40:43 AM EDT
[#17]
We are still doing the same old thing.  Our sappers are finding IEDs, getting hit by VBIEDs, searching houses, and catching ali-baba (bad guys) in this un-relenting heat.  One of our patrols got ambushed last month with 4 RPGs and small arms fire.   One humvee got hit by an RPG; it exploded on the ground first skipped up and the tail section finally lodged in the engine block.  No one was injured and the vehicle was back up within a week.  However, four to six of the bad guys (judging from their body parts) got what they deserved when Kiowas, Apaches, tanks and bradlies rolled in.   An F-16 also flew in and dropped a 500 lb on their asses.  

Our battalion recently lost its first, and hopefully the last, soldier.  He was with another company, at another camp.  A suicide bomber drove up and exploded the vehicle at the gate which our soldier was guarding.   SPC Hall was IRR.

--------
Some more pics...

Bobby the Beer Bot

SLAP ammo

Flying a Raven

Buffalo

Commo

Phrasealator (english to arabic/iraqi-arabic)

Hot in the day

Hot at night

Dust storm

We've also been doing alot of construction missions outside the FOB.

Peaceful refugee camp ?

IED controlled det

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Same crap we are doing here...how do you like the Buffalo? So far I have been impressed.

The RG-31's also rock, in fact I rate them as one of the best vehicles we have ever used..... did you get yours yet?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Bobby the Beer Bot
www.supportourwarriors.com/gallery/albums/ARMY-PHOTOS/CIMG0340.jpg

Have you mastered the two green hockey pucks yet?

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:47:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Same crap we are doing here...how do you like the Buffalo? So far I have been impressed.

The RG-31's also rock, in fact I rate them as one of the best vehicles we have ever used..... did you get yours yet?

Our Buffalos are the most valuable piece of specialty equipment we have.  The soldiers love it.  They can do their job confidently, effectively and safely with it.   We don't care if some of the fancy stuff doesn't work.  As long as the vehicle can roll and the arm works.  They've been blown up numerous times, sometimes with serious damage, but we or the contractor gets them back up in no time.  Our guys swear by them.

We've very recently received our RG-31s!!  Actually I thought they would be bigger.  It rides comfortably, and the A/C works!   One question I do have is in regards to the gun mount.  Maybe you can IM me on how you're dealing with the issue.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our Buffalos are the most valuable piece of specialty equipment we have.  The soldiers love it.  They can do their job confidently, effectively and safely with it.   We don't care if some of the fancy stuff doesn't work.  As long as the vehicle can roll and the arm works.  They've been blown up numerous times, sometimes with serious damage, but we or the contractor gets them back up in no time.  Our guys swear by them.

We've very recently received our RG-31s!!  Actually I thought they would be bigger.  It rides comfortably, and the A/C works!   One question I do have is in regards to the gun mount.  Maybe you can IM me on how you're dealing with the issue.

IM sent.

I really hope that the Army ends up fielding the RG-31 in huge numbers once the small initial problems are  overcome (like the turret). You probably got the new ones, with only two roof hatches above the passenger seats, the old ones had 6.

I have have on that has been blasted,shot, run into by a Buffalo and an MCAP, has had the piss driven out of it on the worlds worst roads for almost 2 years now, and is still more dependable than a new M1114.

For a wheeled armored vehicle, it has amazing off road ability.

They just need to hurry up and get the parts in the supply system so we don't have to deal with the civilian contractors for everything.

I would like to see it get a small buffalo style arm kit as well, but I am probably just dreaming there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
What are the R/C trucks with the platforms on top for?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys are awesome....thanks!

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:15:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I swaer I am the only one here that never goes outside the wiore.

I have only been outide the wire when I have had to take trips to Balad and that was via UH-60.

Sometimes I think that I chose the wrong MOS.

Good luck over over here, I am at camp liberty (sham post) but I will be in Balad for the next 5 days.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you want to see slat armor, look at photos of any Stryker in theater.

It looks pretty different.  It also works.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:52:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Stay Safe and Thank you!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:22:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top