Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2017 1:40:27 AM EDT
My son enlisted in the Marine Corps.  He goes to boot camp in November.  His birthday is coming up and he's wanting a watch.

Is there something anyone can recommend that's sort of stylish, but useful and durable for a guy going to boot?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
G shock. For a lot more style and bombproof design, marathon TSAR.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aperdue:

Just a fair warning, he wont be able to wear a watch in boot camp
View Quote
I wasn't sure on that either way, but eventually he will, right?  And I want to get him something that will last his career.  If it's a g-shock, that's what it is.  I wear one everyday and I beat the hell out of it, but I'm no Marine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:04:51 AM EDT
[#5]
No watches in boot except for leaders
Suunto makes some great watches, include gps/ nav
Casio has a few
An Omega is pricy, but will last forever
5.11 has a couple nice watches too.

Depends on your budget
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:09:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gsc0527:
No watches in boot except for leaders
Suunto makes some great watches, include gps/ nav
Casio has a few
An Omega is pricy, but will last forever
5.11 has a couple nice watches too.

Depends on your budget
View Quote
Let's say $500 +/-
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a G Shock at the Camp Lejeune PX, lasted me almost my entire career.  Once I got out and started working overseas, I upgraded a bit to the Casio Pathfinder.  Comes with everything, compass, thermometer, doohickies I never use, plus its solar and atomic updating so he never has to set the time, wind it, or change batteries.  I love mine.  he can also wear it in uniform AFTER he graduates boot camp.  If you search, you can find a bad ass one for around $200. here is a link to some Pathfinders on Amazon.  

Amazon Pathfinders
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 1:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]
For $500, take a look at Traser.  

Traser

I just bought a Seiko kinetic for $250.  Extremely accurate, but the lume is probably not what you would want in the field.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Gshock rangeman
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By schmud0811:
Gshock rangeman
View Quote
This is what I actually ended up getting him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ragedracer1977:

I wasn't sure on that either way, but eventually he will, right?  And I want to get him something that will last his career.  If it's a g-shock, that's what it is.  I wear one everyday and I beat the hell out of it, but I'm no Marine.
View Quote
The field is no place for a nice watch. Reliable, economical. Not fancy or expensive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I rotate between a few watches at work, but two that I really enjoy wearing are the Marathon TSAR and Tawatec E.O.Diver Mk II. They are comfortable with NATO straps and what I really like is the dials use Tritium and are easily read at any hour/lighting situation.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I wore a 40$ timex for years. It worked well for telling time
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
I've never had a G shock last more than about ten years; that one was a solar model that finally gave up the ghost
For the cost, they're still a good value.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Chairborne:
G shock. For a lot more style and bombproof design, marathon TSAR.
View Quote
This nailed it on both the practical and affordable domains. G-Shock is a geat go to.

My Marathon is what I wear everyday in uniform when not in the field.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
If you want to make a gift out of a great watch that will last him his career and is durable, stylish, and memorable, its the Marathon TSAR.
Link Posted: 10/26/2019 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I wouldnt go toboot camp with a watch theres a good chance he wont get it back. But for after like mct and the likes either a nicer g shock or sunto has a compass watch for like 130 bucks id recommend that for mct it makes land nav easier when the dumbasses are hogging the compass and have no idea what they are doing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Let's say $500 +/-
View Quote
Just get a basic Gshock
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top