Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 3:29:43 PM EDT
So, I joined the Navy Reserve as an OSVET, to supplement my income, help out my family, and kinda just get back into things because I missed the life, and got sent home - Got pulled out of processing, sent to REU and diagnosed with 'Social Anxiety Disorder'. Spent 3 weeks at Ship 5, and got home a few days ago. RE-3E.

I never had any anxiety issues before, I was in the Army and the NG for 8 years, and I feel like if I did have anxiety it would've popped up while doing 11B stuff. I talked to one of the UC's, and he asked if I ever talked to anyone about PTSD, and I never have.

Anyways, I don't know what to think about this. I was hesitant to even post about it here. I don't know what to do. I feel shitty, like I'm defective or a failure. Like I should've been tougher. My wife and family were excited for me to go, and I don't feel like I can look anyone in the eye.

I don't know what to do. Can I go back and try again? Can I rejoin the Guard with something like this on me? Should I even bother?

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green2Blue30] [#1]
I'm really fucking depressed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:16:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IYAOYAS467] [#2]
First off, it takes a lot of sack to put yourself out there and for that, you have my respect.

I cannot speak to any course of action you may have. I can say that shit happens for a reason and perhaps you were not meant to go back in. I realize that may not be what you want to hear but I've been through enough shit in my life to believe it. You served the Guard and you should be proud of that. The fact that want to go back in speaks volumes about your character and I absolutely salute you sir. Regardless of whether that happens or not, you should be PROUD of yourself.

If that's the decision the Navy made, then it's going to be damn near impossible to get that reversed. Mind you I was in the Navy 20 years ago, but I'm confident the Navy is still as inflexible now as it was then. That said, I would imagine that the Guard would welcome you back. Don't give up! If, only after you have exhausted all options, it is what it is and you won't be going back in, then move on and find another purpose. Take care of your family and stay focused on them.  In time...this whole thing will not seem so big and other opportunities will present themselves. I'm serious dude...shit has a way of working itself out.

If you are depressed, PLEASE talk to someone. You are not alone..remember that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IYAOYAS467:
First off, it takes a lot of sack to put yourself out there and for that, you have my respect.

I cannot speak to any course of action you may have. I can say that shit happens for a reason and perhaps you were not meant to go back in. I realize that may not be what you want to hear but I've been through enough shit in my life to believe it. You served the Guard and you should be proud of that. The fact that want to go back in speaks volumes about your character and I absolutely salute you sir. Regardless of whether that happens or not, you should be PROUD of yourself.

If that's the decision the Navy made, then it's going to be damn near impossible to get that reversed. Mind you I was in the Navy 20 years ago, but I'm confident the Navy is still as inflexible now as it was then. That said, I would imagine that the Guard would welcome you back. Don't give up! If, only after you have exhausted all options, it is what it is and you won't be going back in, then move on and find another purpose. Take care of your family and stay focused on them.  In time...this whole thing will not seem so big and other opportunities will present themselves. I'm serious dude...shit has a way of working itself out.

If you are depressed, PLEASE talk to someone. You are not alone..remember that.
View Quote
Thank you, brother. I've had a few days since I got back, and I've been looking at going back to school and learning a trade. Something I never really did before.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Green2Blue30:

Thank you, brother. I've had a few days since I got back, and I've been looking at going back to school and learning a trade. Something I never really did before.
View Quote
Also gotta quit smoking, I caught double pneumonia while in the SEP Division. 300 dudes in one compartment. Place is a cesspool.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Good man. Just take care of yourself and remember..."Its a marathon...not a sprint".

Like I said..you'll get to a point where all of this will be in your rear view mirror and it wont have the same significance.

Keep swinging and DONT EVER LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN!!

Keep us posted brother
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:38:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By IYAOYAS467:
Good man. Just take care of yourself and remember..."Its a marathon...not a sprint".

Like I said..you'll get to a point where all of this will be in your rear view mirror and it wont have the same significance.

Keep swinging and DONT EVER LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN!!

Keep us posted brother
View Quote
I have an interview in the morning with an oilfield company here in OH, which is nice. Worked in the frac field before, and I'm confident that I'll get the job.

Hopefully I can move out of Ohio in the next couple years. Texas looks pretty good - Maybe I'll join the Texas State Guard, or find something to occupy my time lol.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 2:31:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Green2Blue30] [#7]
Got the job. Going in for my pre-employment physical on Thursday.

Life's looking up, slightly.

@IYAOYAS467
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Good job man! Super happy to hear it. Keep hooking and jabbing and let us know how things are progressing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top