Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:03:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 9:04:54 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:21:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Anyway I just got it, but Pat Rogers has a good article on pistol mounted lights v. having a separate surefire type light and when each is put to best use. We have some pretty frequent arguments discussions about weapon mounted lights and this issue in particular.

That's a great idea! W/weapon dedicated light you are forced to sweep w/muzzle anything you wish to illuminate. Good Training tip!

I hope my issue is waiting for me at home tonight!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:43:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 10:58:22 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:30:19 AM EDT
Aimless, (disclaimer: I have not read the artilce yet) but the idea is have an ADDITIONAL flashlight on a lanyard attached to your wrist so that you can keep your weapon light and muzzle covering one part of the room, yet scan independantly with your other hand to make sure there are no other threads present.

It's something I/we practice once a month at least. You never know when you might need to use it, and most engagements are probably going to occur in low/no light.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:57:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/9/2006 10:59:25 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:02:30 AM EDT

Oh I twice grabbed the surefire I had stuck in my belt last night instead of a spare magazine when we were shooting in full light.

It's OK so long as it's an E2D! "They're coming right for us, Ned!"
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:09:52 AM EDT
Only thing worse is to grab your leatherman, insert it in the pistol and then call "Malfunction"

Didnt happen to me, just heard the stories from everyone of the guys team mates, it was pretty much a dog pile on the poor guy.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:17:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:38:18 AM EDT
My March issue arrived yesterday too. Either someone in Boynton Beach likes me, or I'm living right according to the mail delivery fates.

Louis Awerbuck's column ... informative, pertinent, and entertaining as usual.

Claire Wolfe ... another homerun, and it addressed some of the sentiment I think we've seen here.

Brent Wheat ... well written as usual, but I would think most of what he discussed should be a "given" by most readers of the magazine who managed to survive this long. I suppose I'm being optimistic and the lesson he's trying to teach needs to be repeated.

Good article on the Sullivan blaster ... speaking of which, apparently I did not win the example in the sweepstakes from a couple of months ago! I was counting on it too! His detachable carry handle design is very interesting. I didn't realize it was detachable! I'd also never seen the Sully stock side by side with an A2 stock. It's probably not news to most here, but it looks like the "perfect" length to me, pretty much the same as my stubby "entry" stock plus a one-inch spacer/sling swivel. I hope Mr. Sullivan does very well with the sales.

Mara Salvatrucha ... MS-13 ... seems to be the big talk in many circles for the last year or so. William Johnstone (who writes the "out of the ashes" series) even released a paperback last month obviously featuring them, although he changed it to "MS-15." I was familiar that the gang existed, but I was unaware to their origins involving the commie guerillas from El Salvador. That little bit of information pretty much stamps "anti-American" all over them.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:48:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:38:14 AM EDT

I never thought of it before, but I could see it happening. The little surefire sized pocket on 5.11s sucks to get the light out of quickly, so I stuck it in my belt in the front (because of course my bladetech surefire holder was safe at home in the sock drawer) and twice I grabbed at it before thinking "that ain't no mag!" That's what i get for not normally having the light there. I hate to add more crap to my belt 'cause I'm going to end up looking like Batman, but the way I have been doing it doesn't work.

What model SF are you using? I keep an E2D in my LF pocket, mags are up higher on the belt, Gerber in a seperate sheath is farther back. Depending on the situation, my X200 may be on my Warrior, or it might be on a light carrier on my belt. Ive not yet found a non tactical holster for the pistol with Light attached that I like.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:04:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 6:05:51 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:12:14 AM EDT
Ive got a bladtech, but not the IWB, will have to check one out.

I like the E2D with its "Light Difuser" on the front for carry with me while flying. That light di-fuser works real well for reading and such LOL
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:45:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PSYWAR1-0:
I like the E2D with its "Light Difuser" on the front for carry with me while flying. That light di-fuser works real well for reading and such LOL

Or, when you come to bed late at night and don't want to wake up the wifey!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:52:43 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:31:23 PM EDT

Ive got a bladtech, but not the IWB, will have to check one out.

I have thought about getting one of those, but was nervous about getting jammed up flying with it.

They took my frickin' shotgun choke tube wrench that I had on a key chain last year.

I flew out to the SHOT show with 2 rounds of .22 in my pants in my carry on by accident... I washed the pants before I packed them.....
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:42:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rhino_:
My March issue arrived yesterday too. Either someone in Boynton Beach likes me, or I'm living right according to the mail delivery fates.

Louis Awerbuck's column ... informative, pertinent, and entertaining as usual.

Claire Wolfe ... another homerun, and it addressed some of the sentiment I think we've seen here.

Brent Wheat ... well written as usual, but I would think most of what he discussed should be a "given" by most readers of the magazine who managed to survive this long. I suppose I'm being optimistic and the lesson he's trying to teach needs to be repeated.

Good article on the Sullivan blaster ... speaking of which, apparently I did not win the example in the sweepstakes from a couple of months ago! I was counting on it too! His detachable carry handle design is very interesting. I didn't realize it was detachable! I'd also never seen the Sully stock side by side with an A2 stock. It's probably not news to most here, but it looks like the "perfect" length to me, pretty much the same as my stubby "entry" stock plus a one-inch spacer/sling swivel. I hope Mr. Sullivan does very well with the sales.

Mara Salvatrucha ... MS-13 ... seems to be the big talk in many circles for the last year or so. William Johnstone (who writes the "out of the ashes" series) even released a paperback last month obviously featuring them, although he changed it to "MS-15." I was familiar that the gang existed, but I was unaware to their origins involving the commie guerillas from El Salvador. That little bit of information pretty much stamps "anti-American" all over them.

I got a chance to play with one of Sully's rifles at a class a few weeks ago, and it was an absolutely top notch piece of gear. The Sully stock is indeed perfect, at least for me. The extractor is bullet proof, the same plane sights are great, the ambi charging handle rocks, everything about it is high end. I'm actually in the midst of selling my Rock River to put the money towards a SLR-15. It sure doesn't hurt that the rifle purchase includes a training class.

Sully is an honest to god shooter, and he's put together a rifle for honest to god shooters.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:14:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 6:40:32 PM EDT by SF1058]
Ok, now my butt is officially chapped! I haven't received my March issue yet.

Denny, I'm in Texas, should I have received my March issue yet?

Thanks

Edit: Got it in the mail today!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:34:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 7:35:19 PM EDT by GUNGUY1911]
Pat's article was great! The SLR warrants some investigation. The article about Pat, with a cameo by Capt. Ken was informative as well. Hmmm, maybe if we'd have pressed a little harder in Salvo back in the day, MS13 wouldn't be such a worry now? Good to see you back safely PSYWAR1-0!

ETA: Sorry to hear about your buddy Rich!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:31:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:46:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:
Pat's article was great! The SLR warrants some investigation. The article about Pat, with a cameo by Capt. Ken was informative as well. Hmmm, maybe if we'd have pressed a little harder in Salvo back in the day, MS13 wouldn't be such a worry now? Good to see you back safely PSYWAR1-0!

ETA: Sorry to hear about your buddy Rich!

Im not "Back" still working SOTB, but get to spend 7-10 days a month in Indiana. But thanks for the kind thoughts!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:53:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 7:56:37 AM EDT by highdraglowspeed]

Ive not yet found a non tactical holster for the pistol with Light attached that I like.

Take a look at the bladetech holsters.

This might make a good article for carrying your duty, midsize and or compact off duty with your light still attached. What holsters are out there and the pros and cons. The CCW and COP Crowd could both see relevance.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:06:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By highdraglowspeed:

Ive not yet found a non tactical holster for the pistol with Light attached that I like.

Take a look at the bladetech holsters.

This might make a good article for carrying your duty, midsize and or compact off duty with your light still attached. What holsters are out there and the pros and cons. The CCW and COP Crowd could both see relevance.

Ive got a Bladetech and wearing it I feel like the pistol is in the passenger seat of the car, it just sticks way too far out. Im back to wearing a Hume IWB holster, and just keeping the light on one of the Blackhawk light carriers(which I think is probably the only thing blackhawk has come up with in years that is worth a crap.)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:50:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:49:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2006 2:51:29 PM EDT by Rich_Lucibella]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:35:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:35:51 AM EDT
March was my first issue. I enjoyed it and got some good info I shared with my CT Corrections Dept. on MS 13. Also ordered a Ready Tactical holster for the Glock. Great mag and I want a subscription.
Top Top