Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:05:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Clearly PPD must be WU/time dependent.  Here's a screenshot of over 700K PPD along with the EVGA Precision 16 and CUPID screens.  The highest I've seen so far with the GTX 1070 is 734K PPD.

Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
For a 10 to 15% GPU points boost, from FAHControl go to -> Configure -> Slots

Choose a GPU and select edit. You may have to scroll down to see the extra slot options.

Select the Add button and copy/paste:

client-type
beta

Select OK.
Repeat with:

max-packet-size
big

Save your work and the extra slot options should appear as:

Check before and after PPD totals. These settings send Stanford the 'ok' that you're up for monster Work Units that may choke lesser cards. Use at your own risk. The settings can always be removed whenever you want.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gregw45:

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu1_zpseqsyc6vb.png

Choose a GPU and select edit. You may have to scroll down to see the extra slot options.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu2_zpsezd0dsch.png

client-type
beta

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu3_zps47y1smhk.png

Select OK.
Repeat with:

max-packet-size
big

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu4_zps6a6zlpua.png

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu5_zpsd7aranli.png

Check before and after PPD totals. These settings send Stanford the 'ok' that you're up for monster Work Units that may choke lesser cards. Use at your own risk. The settings can always be removed whenever you want.
View Quote

Thanks for the guide, I'll give it a chance while still monitoring temps.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Its winter time. Time to start up your space heaters!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:27:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like we jumped up to #126 on the list!
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Woohoo! Up to 123

I'm disabling the beta work unit settings for now. Had 4 crashes today and no idea what's causing it.

Folding blog http://folding.stanford.edu/home/blog said there was a problem with the latest Nvidia drivers and to downgrade to 372.70. I hadn't upgraded to that, but it's good to know.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Woohoo! Up to 123

I'm disabling the beta work unit settings for now. Had 4 crashes today and no idea what's causing it.

Folding blog http://folding.stanford.edu/home/blog said there was a problem with the latest Nvidia drivers and to downgrade to 372.70. I hadn't upgraded to that, but it's good to know.
View Quote

I used the beta settings for a few days and it actually reduced my PPDs when used for either my CPU or GPU.  I was down in the 515K range; removed the mods and went back up to the 660-710PPD range.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
*updated ppd numbers on front page for modern GPU's*
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu1_zpseqsyc6vb.png

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu2_zpsezd0dsch.png

client-type
beta

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu3_zps47y1smhk.png

Select OK.
Repeat with:

max-packet-size
big

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu4_zps6a6zlpua.png

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/gpu5_zpsd7aranli.png

View Quote

I read a post on overclockers that used the same concept, but differing text:

client-type
advanced

max-packet-size
big

I made those changes and went from the low 500's to the upper 500's.  I then underclocked my memory offset and increased my GPU clock offset and I'm around 625K PPDs.  I have a spare GTX 980 and may put it in in SLI and see what happens.  After all, it is winter and I could use the heat.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Defender3:
I read a post on overclockers that used the same concept, but differing text:

client-type
advanced

max-packet-size
big
View Quote

Good catch! Made the change at midnight. Looks promising already.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Can someone explain what this is in english? I have a laptop I would use.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:
Can someone explain what this is in english? I have a laptop I would use.
View Quote

Folding uses the power of your personal computer to process files aiding disease research; basically you're sharing to help find a cure.  These files would normally be in a queue until computer time was available to crunch them.  Using a distributed concept where tens of thousands of personal computers are used to process these files, the process is accelerated while freeing the mainframes and supercomputers for priority processing.  

Folding relies more upon the processing power of your graphics processing unit (GPU) versus the computer's central processing unit (CPU).  Not to dissuade you, but you would need a good laptop to realize significant results and the processing will increase your temps.

Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Folding uses the power of your personal computer to process files aiding disease research; basically you're sharing to help find a cure.  These files would normally be in a queue until computer time was available to crunch them.  Using a distributed concept where tens of thousands of personal computers are used to process these files, the process is accelerated while freeing the mainframes and supercomputers for priority processing.  

Folding relies more upon the processing power of your graphics processing unit (GPU) versus the computer's central processing unit (CPU).  Not to dissuade you, but you would need a good laptop to realize significant results and the processing will increase your temps.
View Quote

Like a Alienware 17R3? I
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#14]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:

Like a Alienware 17R3? I
View Quote

The 17 R3s run an i7 with a GTX 960M GPU, which should work just fine.  If you have one of the new R3s, it's still an i7, but now has the GTX 1060, which would be even finer.    The nice thing about the Alienwares is they have a pretty advanced thermal dissipation design so you may run even cooler than folks using an MSI or ASUS gamer, but you probably already know that.    Don't tell, but #2 son is getting an upgrade for x-mas to one of the new R3 15s.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Woohoo! Up to 123

View Quote

The Nvidia driver section has a good thread about the issues with the core 18 and 21 work units that seem to break each time a new driver is released.  I rolled back to 373.06 and stopped auto updates.  It also appears there's a fix in this thread on page 14:

Nvidia Driver Issues - Page 12 Discussion

P.S. What rig are you using to put up the numbers you're getting?
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Tango_6:Like a Alienware 17R3? I
View Quote
A quick search says that laptop with GPU could put out approximately 190,000 points per day. Downside is your internal temps would be quite high (mid to upper 70s Celsius) potentially shortening component lifespan.

It's all about airflow. Before I built a dedicated machine, I used two work laptops. Hitting 80C was routine using CPU only for 7,000 PPD.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Defender3:P.S. What rig are you using to put up the numbers you're getting?
View Quote
Thanks for the link. It's amazing what those guys can figure out.

My rig is an i7 3770K, 8gb RAM, GTX 970 (overclocked +123) and GTX 1080 Classified (overclocked +25) in an Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard.

Case is a Corsair Vengeance C70 with the side panels removed. The 1080 looks like it should vent heat out the back of the case, but it doesn't. It vents sideways which would keep the heat in the case if the sides were on.

Using the custom fan curve feature in EVGA's Precision X keeps temps in the mid 60s year round. Highest GPU temp peaked at 74C in summer.

Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the link. It's amazing what those guys can figure out.

My rig is an i7 3770K, 8gb RAM, GTX 970 (overclocked +123) and GTX 1080 Classified (overclocked +25) in an Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard.

Case is a Corsair Vengeance C70 with the side panels removed. The 1080 looks like it should vent heat out the back of the case, but it doesn't. It vents sideways which would keep the heat in the case if the sides were on.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/dtop_zpshiz0t3zv.jpg

Using the custom fan curve feature in EVGA's Precision X keeps temps in the mid 60s year round. Highest GPU temp peaked at 74C in summer.

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/curve_zpsjduejed6.png

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y510/ggreggg/screen1_zpsdodgrqo6.png
View Quote

Sweet! I have an older ASUS M4A79T running an AMD Phenom II that is just being used for folding.  I dropped a GeForce 1070 in it and get about 600-700K daily.  My #2 son's machine is here, which is an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX that I also dropped a 1070 in and it too runs between 600-700ppds. He's being upgraded to a I7 based machine courtesy of Santa (keeping the same 1070) and I'll inherit the Sabertooth.  I have two spare GTX 970's that I may or may not fire up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
just rejoined 2 pcs's after a LONG time away
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#21]
Looks like we just moved up to #119 on the list.  Only 185 million to go to the top 100.  

Is there anyway to see the whole list instead of just the top 100?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#22]
Unintentional double-tap.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Ugh, at&t decided to be a pain in the butt this week. Going to need a week and maybe a vacation day to get back up and running.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:24:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Ugh, at&t decided to be a pain in the butt this week. Going to need a week and maybe a vacation day to get back up and running.
View Quote

A chance to catch up to you - NOT!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 2:09:03 AM EDT
[#25]
hehe should be good to go now. Might need reading glasses after 2 weeks of squinting at my phone as the only connection to the internet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:09:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#26]
I hit my one year anniversary!  I said I'd give it a try for a year and I guess I'll keep going since the machine just runs down in the basement.  I'm not getting the PPDs I should with that 1070 so I guess it's time to check the settings and see if I can up my PPDs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 5:00:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gregw45] [#27]
We need to do some work to get to that goal!

If anyone wants a slightly used 970, drop me an IM as it will be available once I get that 1070 rolling.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blasko:
Would like to see ar15.com in the top 100 folding teams...
We need to do some work to get to that goal!

If anyone wants a slightly used 970, drop me an IM as it will be available once I get that 1070 rolling.  
100!
Well done gents
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=&p=1
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#28]
long time listener, first time caller on arf. i migrated from my previous car forum since they have been inactive for a while.
my chromebox lol should be good for 2k ppd output.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By oloung1:
long time listener, first time caller on arf. i migrated from my previous car forum since they have been inactive for a while.
my chromebox lol should be good for 2k ppd output.
View Quote
Welcome! 2k ppd is better than 0 ppd!
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#30]
thanks, i noticed my PPD dropped to ZERO since the 6th and it looks like they are having delays with uptime.
http://folding.stanford.edu/2017/07/06/reminder-foldinghome-maintenance-july-6-7th-2017
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#31]
We're doing well, still in the top 100!
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I just joined.  Two Xeon X5690 precessors.  Two Radeon R9 295x2 cards.

It is predicting 43945 points per day.  Seems a little anemic, since I have it set to FULL POWER.

One of my 4 video cards shows it isn't working. I am guessing that is the one that is going to my monitor.  I will work to get the onboard VGA to output video so I am firing on all cylinders!
Link Posted: 11/24/2017 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#33]
A little slow on all this, can I ask a couple questions....

So what can you buy with these PPD? Do they pay you anything to do this?

If your not getting compensation for it other the pleasure of helping cure xxx disease what's the appealing factor?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 2:29:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By TrippEd36:
A little slow on all this, can I ask a couple questions....

So what can you buy with these PPD? Do they pay you anything to do this?

If your not getting compensation for it other the pleasure of helping cure xxx disease what's the appealing factor?

Thanks
View Quote
....robot
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By gaspain:
....robot
View Quote
Sweet, what kind of Robot? Like old lost in space/forbidden planet type robot or a newer model like a leggy blonde battlestar Galactica robot?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:45:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Is anyone still participating?  (A few folks are still increasing their score/WU....)
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mugzilla:
Is anyone still participating?  (A few folks are still increasing their score/WU....)
View Quote
I'm still in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:25:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#38]
I was running two spare machines, one with Win7 and two GTX-980s and one with Win10 and a GTX 1070, but I shut down the Win7 machine. I was getting continual (random) failures on the GPUs (about every 6-8hrs) that I just don't have time to diagnose.  The Win 10 machine still gets me about 600K daily, so I'll stick with it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Hey guys.  Just signed up for the forum today and joined the folding team a few days ago.  I used to fold like 10 years ago a bit with cpu only.  I can see that the GPU folding has really exploded the WU size and PPD since I have been gone.

My set up is a bit dated but so far it seems to be really racking up the points compared to the old cpu only days.

CPU: AMD 8350 FX OC'd to 4.5Ghz
GPU: AMD R9 390

I also just placed the extra slot options of "client-type  advanced" and "max_packet_size  big".  We'll see if that makes a difference.

Probably won't be able to leave it on 24/7 due to where it's located but gonna try and do my part.

Outside of the computer hobby, I own one lonely Ruger AR556.  I hope to give it a brother or sister some day.

Thanks for having me
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:20:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By MarlinWalker:
Hey guys.  Just signed up for the forum today and joined the folding team a few days ago.  I used to fold like 10 years ago a bit with cpu only.  I can see that the GPU folding has really exploded the WU size and PPD since I have been gone.

My set up is a bit dated but so far it seems to be really racking up the points compared to the old cpu only days.

I also just placed the extra slot options of "client-type  advanced" and "max_packet_size  big".  We'll see if that makes a difference.

Probably won't be able to leave it on 24/7 due to where it's located but gonna try and do my part.

Outside of the computer hobby, I own one lonely Ruger AR556.  I hope to give it a brother or sister some day.

Thanks for having me
View Quote
Great first post and welcome!
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Thanks for having me
View Quote
Welcome to the party pal!

And welcome to ARFCOM.  You are pretty safe here.  Tread lightly in GD until you get the gyst.  Arfcom 101 and the COC are good places to start.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:24:38 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote
Helluva 1st post! Welcome.

The advanced/big settings will sometimes get you experimental unstable work units. Ended up going back to default settings after random crashes couldn't be avoided. Few things suck like coming home after work to find your PC fans running full speed, but FAH has been frozen all day for almost no PPD.

Maxing out all CPU cores will tend to bottleneck your GPU production. I used to run 8 of 8 CPU cores, then 6/8, then 4/8... finally deleted the CPU slot altogether. Finding the sweet spot is half the fun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 12:03:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Helluva 1st post! Welcome.

The advanced/big settings will sometimes get you experimental unstable work units. Ended up going back to default settings after random crashes couldn't be avoided. Few things suck like coming home after work to find your PC fans running full speed, but FAH has been frozen all day for almost no PPD.

Maxing out all CPU cores will tend to bottleneck your GPU production. I used to run 8 of 8 CPU cores, then 6/8, then 4/8... finally deleted the CPU slot altogether. Finding the sweet spot is half the fun.
View Quote
So far so good with the advanced/big settings.  No failed units yet.  I have been checking the log for any indication.  Is that about the only way you would be notified if your WU was corrupt and not accepted?

From reading documentation it looks like leaving the cores setting for the cpu slot on auto selects number of cores - 1 as default.  This seems to be working for me.  I leave it on medium anyways so it only ever grabs 75% load for the FaH process.
I can see how the cpu is kinda negligible for production.  1/20th gpu production (even with an 8 core) at a cost of 150 watts.  Guess I'll have to weigh it against the grief I'll catch about the electric bill from my wife.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:43:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#44]
Well, that was an adventure.  The latest update to Win10 (last month) created some type of issue (besides the NVIDA Open.dll) with the Win10 install. I kept getting windows security and kernal errors. I spent yesterday messing with it and reloading Win10 only to get windows memory allocation errors. I finally gave up and dragged out the old Win7 machine. After 22 updates, I was able to bring it up and started folding at about 400k PPD with dual GTX-970s.

I stumbled across an article from October saying you can still get a free Win10 upgrade and decided to try it on the Win7 machine, worked like a charm. Once it completed the upgrade, I switched out the 970s with the single 1060 from the machine that crashed. I'm getting 580PPD now but still haven't applied the client tweaks. I'll do that later today and see if I can squeak out a few more PPDs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Now that the Holidays are here, I had some time so I took the dual 970s out and set up one 1070 and one 970, which was giving me about 795K PPD.  I saw an older post about turning off folding in CPUs to aid the GPU folding and since I'm using an older AMD CPU (a 9900 maybe???) I decided to shut down the CPU folding to see if I got any benefits (my CPU was folding at 12K PPD). After the change, I'm getting 840K PPD. I know, a single data point, but it's working for me. I also dropped EVGA Precision and went with MSI Afterburner to set the GPU parameters. I'm testing differing power and MHz settings to see what PPDs I'll get at 95% power and a clock increase, while still trying to keep the cards around 60-65c. More fan noise for sure, but it's the basement so only the cats will care.

I also found a used GTX 1070 at a good price so I bought it. Hopefully it will be here this weekend so I can have two 1070s running; maybe I'll finally get over a million PPDs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#46]
My used GTX 1070 8GB card arrived a couple of days ago. I installed it and had some issues to work through. Even though I "finished" the two WUs, when I installed the second 1070, the FAH program wouldn't assign a WU. I played with the slot configuration and when it did assign a WU, it was slower than a CPU assigned WU. Had a similar issue with MSI which couldn't see the second 1070.

I thought the card had an issue so I ran a benchmark showing both cards were performing correctly. I ended up uninstalling both and then reinstalling them; problems solved. I reset Afterburner to overclock the cards to 102% while increasing the core clock to a +50. Works well and lets me keep the cards running at 65C or lower.

TL/DR: Installed a second 1070 and am now folding at about 1.2M PPDs.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 1:51:17 PM EDT
[#47]
good to know!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Update - the two 1070s have settled in at about 1 to 1.1M PPD.

So, I finally gave up on the M4A79T Deluxe board and Win10. I assume something in a recent Win10 update just doesn't like the architecture of this board from 2008. I looked around locally for something cheap with no luck so I ended up going to BB and replacing it with an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero and a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4ghz. Bad part was I also needed to buy some DDR4. Anyways, got it up quickly with the dual 970s and was able to install Win10 after a MBT vs GPT issue and a partition error when I failed to clean the SSD (diskpart).

The dual 970s are delivering almost 700K PPD. Maybe I'll change the 1070s to the new architecture board and see if there may be any increase in PPDs.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#49]
The 2060 is just announced today. It performs slight better than 1070 and is gonna be $250. Also look at the new 11 series.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:36:15 PM EDT
[#50]
We just fell out of 87th place to #88 - we need you @gregw45.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top