Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Giving this thread a bump, I realize not everybody can do it, but hey, its for a good cause.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#2]
They're good cards, but a tad out of my price range...and when I say a tad I mean a lot.

The 9600GSO is here to stay for a little longer.  Can't beat it for only 60-70 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#3]
joining now...
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the "display" actually anything meaningful or is it just a screen saver?

Any way to set it as your actual screensaver?
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By JCKnife:
Is the "display" actually anything meaningful or is it just a screen saver?

Any way to set it as your actual screensaver?

The display and use of display is not stable nor supported/recommended, it's known to cause folding problems / slower ppd / false information reporting / failed jobs and even video problems if running the GPU client.  This info is from reading about it on other forums, and experiencing most of these issues first-hand.  If you want to see your progress without risking screwing anything up, get F@hMon.  It's a 3rd party monitoring tool that gives you basic info about what clients you're running, and what speeds they're getting.

Sucks because that display is pretty cool to look at.
Link Posted: 5/18/2009 5:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SplatSTi] [#6]
Anybody else folding just stop? 1 machine is working on its current lot, main machine is sitting on Attempting to get work packet.
21:19:08] Loaded queue successfully.
[21:19:09] Initialization complete
[21:19:09] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[21:19:09] + Attempting to get work packet
[21:19:09] - Connecting to assignment server
[21:19:09] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[21:19:09] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[21:19:09] - Attempt #1  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.
[21:19:26] + Attempting to get work packet
[21:19:26] - Connecting to assignment server
[21:19:27] + No appropriate work server was available; will try again in a bit.
[21:19:27] + Couldn't get work instructions.
[21:19:27] - Attempt #2  to get work failed, and no other work to do.
Waiting before retry.

ETA: Oh well its working now
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnny_dot_exe] [#8]
Got my GPU client and FahMon installed and running again, recently reformatted and I'm running a better overclock on my 9600GSO 768 so I figured I'd see what it runs at now.  I'm at about 30% in almost an hour, ppd is around 2700, on job 5770 which is about 15mil in size.  Not too bad I suppose, definitely faster than the first 3 WUs I put out a few months ago.  Would be better if I had 1(read: 2) of those earlier mentioned GTX cards.  I may just buy another 9600GSO 768 and run sli to hold me over until I have the funds for a better card.

Total time to finish that job = 3 hours.  Much better than before, last job I did was smaller and took like 10 hours.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Damnit Im sitting here idle waiting for jobs again, whats up with that!
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
bump
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By SplatSTi:

Link of how our stats are doing.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=40965

I've got to quit forgetting to turn mine back on.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 2:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Should I do GPU folding or SMP folding?  (HD4870 and Core-i7 965)
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:46:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#14]
ARFCOM team rank stands at 365 as of today!  For those of you who have dual-core or better machines, and do NOT have supported GPUs, run the SMP core application!  It gives you a LOT more points than the Single core app, but deadlines are shorter so you have to keep the SMP core cranking for a good 6 hours a day average.

I jumped 15+ slots simply by running the SMP core on my wife's dual-core Dell laptop, and on my own dual-core Dell laptop for a few weeks.

I'll jump into the GPU game sooner or later.

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:39:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#15]

Originally Posted By Torf:

ARFCOM team rank stands at 365 as of today!  For those of you who have dual-core or better machines, and do NOT have supported GPUs, run the SMP core application!  It gives you a LOT more points than the Single core app, but deadlines are shorter so you have to keep the SMP core cranking for a good 6 hours a day average.

I jumped 15+ slots simply by running the SMP core on my wife's dual-core Dell laptop, and on my own dual-core Dell laptop for a few weeks.

I'll jump into the GPU game sooner or later.  

Heh heh!  Well, I did a little checking and it turns out that my Dell Precision 4300 Laptop has a NVidia Quadro FX M360 graphics card in it.  I loaded the latest CUDA driver for Windows 7 and loaded the GPU client.

AWAY I GO!  WHEEEEEEE!

ETA:  Hmmm.  Roughly 11 minutes per percentage point.  If that holds,  I should finish a WU in about 18.5 hours.  Is that normal?

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:01:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SplatSTi] [#16]
Not sure, I dont run mine on laptops. I am running 2 GPU units on 2 different machines, seems to be working for me, they run 24/7

Pyro, Im coming dawg Im comin!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By SplatSTi:
Not sure, I dont run mine on laptops. I am running 2 GPU units on 2 different machines, seems to be working for me, they run 24/7

Pyro, Im coming dawg Im comin!!

I see ya
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#18]
OK House A/C is replaced and is now working, back to folding!
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Hilo:

Should I do GPU folding or SMP folding?  (HD4870 and Core-i7 965)

Use the SMP core if your GPU isn't compatible, or is slow.

Mine is compatible, but is much slower than the SMP with regards to points per hour.

Link Posted: 7/2/2009 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]
joined & configured...attempting to get work packet.
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, my new PC and I are on the Arfcom F@h team!

Running Vista 64 on an AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE in a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P MB with 8 MB RAM and an EVGA GTX 275.  Not sure if it's using the GPU but it's being mild with my CPU so far.  How do I see what it's using and/or configure?
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#22]
There's 2 main clients to download, GPU or CPU, and they're both labeled in the exe file.  GPU runs off of your GPU, obviously, and from what I've seen it runs better and more reliably than the CPU client.  Guess it all depends on the card you're using.

Also...DO NOT use the display/viewer deal in the systray right click menu.  It is a beta function, and causes problems like halting your job and losing your progress, etc.
Link Posted: 7/10/2009 9:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#23]
Originally Posted By johnny_dot_exe:
There's 2 main clients to download, GPU or CPU, and they're both labeled in the exe file.  GPU runs off of your GPU, obviously, and from what I've seen it runs better and more reliably than the CPU client.  Guess it all depends on the card you're using.

Also...DO NOT use the display/viewer deal in the systray right click menu.  It is a beta function, and causes problems like halting your job and losing your progress, etc.

Thanks!  I now see I'm running the CPU client.  I'll see if I can do the GPU and try to optimize this some more...

ETA:  This new PC rocks too!!!  It smokes my Athlon 3500+ with a 6800 Ultra GPU running XP like crazy!

Link Posted: 7/18/2009 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I just signed up...

I'm running this on a Dell Pentium 4 2GHz, 768MB of RAM; the graphics board is a Nvidia GeForce 6200.

I downloaded the CPU version; would the GPU version be better for the system I'm running?
Link Posted: 7/18/2009 9:23:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#25]

Originally Posted By dirksterG30:

I just signed up...

I'm running this on a Dell Pentium 4 2GHz, 768MB of RAM; the graphics board is a Nvidia GeForce 6200.

I downloaded the CPU version; would the GPU version be better for the system I'm running?

I don't think so.  The GPU client requires a CUDA capable GPU from what I understand, and the 6200 is not one of the supported video cards.  I think it has to be GeForce 8000 series or later, IIRC.  Unfortunately, you are probably stuck using the single CPU client given the age and modest capabilities of the system.
Not that you need to worry about it.  Every CPU cycle helps!  I folded on machines less zippy than yours for a long time, and still do!

ETA:  Slowest and oldest machine still folding for me...  Dell Optiplex GX110 w/ Pentium 3 -350 Mhz running Windows 2000 Pro on 256MB of RAM.  32 Points per day!  

Link Posted: 7/20/2009 1:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nimrod1193] [#26]
Joined.

Page Six is mine!

ETA:  Just got my PS3 in on the act.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't want to bump a old thread,  but how do you check on progress?

I had a 300 Unit (I guess that's what it was , showing 0/300) and it went through it really quick , now it's a 0/1500 and not really doing anything.

Running the CPU (I think) version on my i7 2.66/gtx275 setup.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 8:48:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#28]
Originally Posted By Shockergd:

I had a 300 Unit (I guess that's what it was , showing 0/300) and it went through it really quick , now it's a 0/1500 and not really doing anything.

Just leave it running and click on this link like this in the first post of this thread:

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=40965

It should show something like this:

77  KwaiChangCaine  8081  23

ETA:  I'm using the CPU version on my AMD X4 955 with a GTX275...  Give it a couple days and watch your ranking climb!
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:

Just leave it running and click on this link like this in the first post of this thread:

ETA:  I'm using the CPU version on my AMD X4 955 with a GTX275...  Give it a couple days and watch your ranking climb!

For one reason or another , the basic 1 core CPU program doesn't work on either of my systems (A Intel M laptop at home or my nice I7 at the office , it just sits on 0 for process no matter how long it runs). While the GPU version plugs away quite well. I'm hoping to try a 64 bit version to run on maybe 6 or 7 of the logical cores at the office when I'm away along with the GPU.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#30]

For one reason or another , the basic 1 core CPU program doesn't work on either of my systems (A Intel M laptop at home or my nice I7 at the office , it just sits on 0 for process no matter how long it runs). While the GPU version plugs away quite well. I'm hoping to try a 64 bit version to run on maybe 6 or 7 of the logical cores at the office when I'm away along with the GPU.

Not sure what to tell you.  I'm running Vista 64 and installed the CPU version and it uses all 4 cores equally.  I just let it run and don't even notice it no matter what I'm doing.  Maybe someone else here can help?
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 10:22:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Not sure what to tell you.  I'm running Vista 64 and installed the CPU version and it uses all 4 cores equally.  I just let it run and don't even notice it no matter what I'm doing.  Maybe someone else here can help?

Well , it's working fine on the GPU version , something like 4500 points per day which seems to be good, however it'd be NICE to have it run both at the same time, the system I built has 7 fans in it , so i'm sure I can suck some serious power down :)
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn, I'm only getting 2000ish PPD from what F@Hmon is telling me.  Weak!
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Well , it's working fine on the GPU version , something like 4500 points per day which seems to be good, however it'd be NICE to have it run both at the same time, the system I built has 7 fans in it , so i'm sure I can suck some serious power down :)

On a note , with only about 24 hours of processing down , i'm ranked 5th in PPD for ar15's team....... :)
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#34]

For those of you running multi-core processors, give the SMP client a try.  It can be found on the downloads page under the "high performance clients" section.  Read the instructions before installing the console version.  It isn't hard at all, but there are a few steps to it, and a few things that have to be set correctly in the -config routine.  Otherwise it won't work right.

For those who have a relatively fast 8500 series nVidia GPU or later, give the GPU client a try.  Especially with a GTX275, you will get a LOT more points per day than you will with the regular CPU client, or even the SMP client.  Again, there is some setup involved, but it isn't hard.  Installing the latest CUDA drivers is a must, and you need to run the -config routine.

For the machine you have Shockergd, I would try setting up the GPU client in a virtual box.  The goal is to allow access to only a single core of the CPU, which should be enough to feed the GPU.  In the host OS, then you could run the SMP client as well, taking advantage of the rest of the cores.  It might work, but then maybe not.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#35]

For those of you running multi-core processors, give the SMP client a try.  It can be found on the downloads page under the "high performance clients" section.  Read the instructions before installing the console version.  It isn't hard at all, but there are a few steps to it, and a few things that have to be set correctly in the -config routine.  Otherwise it won't work right.

For those who have a relatively fast 8500 series nVidia GPU or later, give the GPU client a try.  Especially with a GTX275, you will get a LOT more points per day than you will with the regular CPU client, or even the SMP client.  Again, there is some setup involved, but it isn't hard.  Installing the latest CUDA drivers is a must, and you need to run the -config routine.

For the machine you have Shockergd, I would try setting up the GPU client in a virtual box.  The goal is to allow access to only a single core of the CPU, which should be enough to feed the GPU.  In the host OS, then you could run the SMP client as well, taking advantage of the rest of the cores.  It might work, but then maybe not.

I'm not sure you'll get access to the GPU in a virtual machine. But - it doesn't matter. You can run the GPU client and the SMP client ok together - the GPU client needs so little CPU power that it doesn't really affect the SMP client.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By target-hunter:

I'm not sure you'll get access to the GPU in a virtual machine. But - it doesn't matter. You can run the GPU client and the SMP client ok together - the GPU client needs so little CPU power that it doesn't really affect the SMP client.

You will probably have to adjust the priority settings though, which the GPU client a little higher than the SMP one.

Link Posted: 8/8/2009 5:33:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#37]
Earlier today I finally got around to running the GPU version instead of the regular one.

I can confirm that it does a LOT more work, much faster!  

ETA:  It makes the GTX 275 is run pretty warm and power consumption has increased a fair amount too.  Should make a nice space heater this Winter!
Link Posted: 8/10/2009 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Earlier today I finally got around to running the GPU version instead of the regular one.

I can confirm that it does a LOT more work, much faster!  

ETA:  It makes the GTX 275 is run pretty warm and power consumption has increased a fair amount too.  Should make a nice space heater this Winter!

It also makes a nice space heater this summer!

Wish I had a nearby body of water that I could use as a heatsink.

Link Posted: 8/20/2009 10:00:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#39]
Free bump since I made 100K today!  The space heater is still cranking 24/7!

25  KwaiChangCaine  100065  188  

I wish I had installed the GPU version earlier!
Link Posted: 8/20/2009 10:17:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pyro6988] [#40]
Free bump since I made 100K today!

Congrats

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 11:15:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaProw] [#41]
Prepare to be pwned

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:43:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#42]

Welcome to the team, and wow, nice stats!  Lets see your Folder!

Link Posted: 8/21/2009 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Welcome to the team, and wow, nice stats!  Lets see your Folder!

Thanks !

Sorry, no recent Pics. I have a "farm" that changes often.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 6:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnny_dot_exe] [#44]
Swapping out my psu, mb, cpu, ram, gpu soon.  Hopefully I'll be joining the higher ranks with the new build.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#45]

So when are you going to post your specs?

I'm gonna try the SMP (or whatever) + GPU tommorow after OCing my system, I realized I have a nice CPU cooler here, so I should be able to get 3.5ghz out of the i7 easy without overdoing things, I'm at about 7-8k PPD now without running the CPU at all. I know I won't be able to touch your rate ,but I might be able to take 2nd :)
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#46]

I'm gonna try the SMP (or whatever) + GPU tomorrow after OCing my system, I realized I have a nice CPU cooler here, so I should be able to get 3.5ghz out of the i7 easy without overdoing things, I'm at about 7-8k PPD now without running the CPU at all. I know I won't be able to touch your rate ,but I might be able to take 2nd :)

I think I have 9-10 g80 or better GPUS folding for the team right now. I believe it's 3x260gtx, 3x8800gtx and 1x9800gtx. should pull close to 1.5mil points per month. I've been folding for another team/name for years. way before there were points. have a few machines still ruing for that team as well.

the gpus are so dominant right now, I don't even bother with cpu folding any more. I play with the smp client from time to time. it's just never been stable enough for me to want to deal with a butt load of machines running it.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By KaProw:

I'm gonna try the SMP (or whatever) + GPU tomorrow after OCing my system, I realized I have a nice CPU cooler here, so I should be able to get 3.5ghz out of the i7 easy without overdoing things, I'm at about 7-8k PPD now without running the CPU at all. I know I won't be able to touch your rate ,but I might be able to take 2nd :)

I think I have 9-10 g80 or better GPUS folding for the team right now. I believe it's 3x260gtx, 3x8800gtx and 1x9800gtx. should pull close to 1.5mil points per month. I've been folding for another team/name for years. way before there were points. have a few machines still ruing for that team as well.

the gpus are so dominant right now, I don't even bother with cpu folding any more. I play with the smp client from time to time. it's just never been stable enough for me to want to deal with a butt load of machines running it.

Guess I should feel good about the output of my single gtx275 then.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Hey KaProw, pics or GTFO!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#49]
I've cracked the ARFCOM Top 50!
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 1:58:44 PM EDT
[#50]
After several years at #1, I have been unseated.

KaProw is now the leader.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top