Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/8/2006 6:30:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 6:30:57 AM EDT by gazukull]
Heya Yall,

Just wondering if any of you can help me out with this.

I have a new system I cobbled together, the mainboard is a DFI NF4 DAGF and has four slots for DIMMS. The board says it can do 4 GB of mem. I put in three 1GB mem sticks and it says it has 3 GB single channel. I put in 4 1 GB sticks and it says I have 3 GB Dual channel. Is it supposed to do that, or is something screwed.

Let me know what you all think!

- Gazukull
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:44:17 AM EDT
something isn't right. it should say 4GB dual channel. is this all same named brand and speed memory.

might be as simple as reseating the memory. you could have a bad stick. try ONE stick at a time and make sure each is seen as 1GB. try runing memtest86 on any problematic sticks.

might check for bios updates also
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:21:00 AM EDT
Also, try updating the BIOS on the motherboard, that might fix the problem as well, if memtest comes back clean.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:51:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/8/2006 12:21:04 PM EDT by EladEflow]

Originally Posted By madman_kirk:
what OS are you running ? I think XP only reads up to 3gb of memory. look here...http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28171. mmk

This man is correct, you're really luck your board even runs with all four dimms full anyway. A lot of people have a lot of problems with it. Once you get all four full you will no longer have 1t timing (command per clock) so unless you really need 4 gbs for some intensive video encoding I'd recommend you fill the orange slots and call it quits.

Good luck.

Opteron 170 (Dual core 2.8ghz 1mb L2 Cache x2)
OCZ 2x1gb Gold Edition
DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D
EVGA 7900GTX
OCZ 520W Modstream
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:46:56 PM EDT
Hey guys!

Thanks for the responses. After reading that thread on DFI street, my system is now reading 4gb dual channel mem. There is no bios update, but it was enabling a MMIO (i dunno what that is...) setting.

As for getting service pack two to recognize 4gb, that's another story ; )

- Gazukull

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:22:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By madman_kirk:
what OS are you running ? I think XP only reads up to 3gb of memory. look here...http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28171. mmk

baaa who looks at total memory in windoz xp anyways. I only look at the bios, thats all im responsible for

gazakull, thanks for letting us know what the fix was. i've never met a tech that knows everthing. except for my old manager
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:48:17 AM EDT
Top Top