Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 2:53:47 PM EDT
My dad just bought a new Dell laptop w/ wifi mini card. He has a wifi network set up in his house w/ two desktop systems & a linksys wireless g router. The laptop will show the network in network connections, but when he tries to connect it fails. In the notification area on the laptop the wifi card & the LAN are shown red-x'ed out but in device manager they are both listed as working properly.

Any ideas on what the problem is or what I should check? I'm pretty good w/ systems but I don't know much about networks. The network itself is up and running fine on the two desktops. I'm supposed to go over there tomorrow to look at it & I have no idea where to really start trouble-shooting it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
So many names....

Uh, cvheck that the setup/security of the  wireless base and the laptop are all synched and happy.

Check that the software driving the wirless network is happy

check that the wireless base is all configed correctly and happy.   -> 802.11 a/b/g
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 check security settings on the linksys. If the access point has WEP or WPA set then this information will be needed on all clients.

Also if the access point is restricting MAC addresses then the MAC of the card would need to be added to the access point too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
ok, thanks. I'll check those when I get over there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#4]
On some laptops you have to enable the antenna. Might want to check that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]
if the  network card was disabled, it would not have the icon down near the clock.   AND it will not detect a ssid.  so obviously the card is enabled, and somewhat working.   you need to check the router settings to see if encryption is enabled.   check the  router manual on how do to that
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
It was the router my brother in law setup, it was so jacked up I couldn't even log into the router to adjust any settings. Linksys has a program on their website to reconfigure the router, I ran that and everything was peachy. Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#8]
did it not have a reset button on the back of the box.  

in the future you can use that.  or you can login and do a factory default under the admin tab
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top