Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/22/2006 7:27:10 PM EDT
My local Office Max is going out of business and they have all of their HDD's discounted 20%. They have Western Digital 7200RPM and Seagate. I like the 5 year Seagate warranty, but they are all Ultra ATA/100 drives.

Short of opening my box, how do I find out if my computer will handle one of the Seagate drives?

Are the Western Digital drives any good? They only have a 1 year warranty. I need something to back up the contents of my current HDD.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:53:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 7:58:36 PM EDT by SWS]
I prefer Seagate to WD, though both are fine.

Even if your computer can't take full advantage of ATA/100 drives, the faster spindle speeds and access times will make your computer seem faster. Go into Windows Device Manager and double-click your disk drive controller tree. Depending on whose ATA controller hardware your motherboard uses, it may tell you what DMA/PIO transfer speed that your current drive is operating at. It's a good bet that that's your maximum capabilities.

For the right price on a new drive, you really can't go wrong.

ETA, my device manager expanded tree for the NForce ATA controller:

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:29:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/22/2006 8:32:07 PM EDT by Burley]
Here's what I got.

So the Ultra ATA/100 uses the same type of connection that any drive uses? Ribbon type cables with tons of connections?

If that is the case, then I guess going with the Seagate Ultra ATA/100 drive would be a better deal. Plus that 5 year warranty looks might damn nice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:08:05 AM EDT
all modern computers use 80 wire hardrive connection(ATA) till you go to the SATA connection.

either drive will work with your gateway computer. I would buy the seagate. I resell seagate harddrives. Can't beat them, especially the warranty.

you usually don't see the ata 133 unless you have a higher end board. server board per example.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:35:37 AM EDT
Thanks for the answers. Going with the Seagate 160 GB.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:17:37 PM EDT
I'd vote for WD drives. All I use in my personal systems. 1480 gigs across 3 machines :)

-d
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:48:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dizza:
I'd vote for WD drives. All I use in my personal systems. 1480 gigs across 3 machines :)

-d

too late hahaha

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:02:47 PM EDT
I swear by Seagate drives. They aren't speed demons, but they are quiet and I've never had one fail. In my next PC I plan to use a 150gb Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM drive for the operating system disc and two or three very large Seagate 7200 RPM drives for data storage.

Galland
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:44:47 PM EDT
OK, so I got the drive (160 GB Seagate, $80). Installation as easy as opening the thing up, dropping in the drive, connection the cables, and firing it up?

Or do I need to set a jumper? I assume these things are like CD drives in that one functions as the master and the other as the slave. I want this new drive to be secondary to my current 80 GB drive.

Also, what is the best way to back-up the contents of my old drive onto the new drive? Just CTRL-C, CTRL-V?

I read an interesting article in the tech section of my local paper a few weeks ago about automatic BU's using two drives. Not online anymore, so I can't go back and read it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:27:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Burley:
OK, so I got the drive (160 GB Seagate, $80). Installation as easy as opening the thing up, dropping in the drive, connection the cables, and firing it up?

Or do I need to set a jumper? I assume these things are like CD drives in that one functions as the master and the other as the slave. I want this new drive to be secondary to my current 80 GB drive.

Also, what is the best way to back-up the contents of my old drive onto the new drive? Just CTRL-C, CTRL-V?

I read an interesting article in the tech section of my local paper a few weeks ago about automatic BU's using two drives. Not online anymore, so I can't go back and read it.

yep.

so you will want to setup the new drive as slave, as you already said.

i copy and paste my data to a secondary drive also. someone else might be able to recomend some software to make it easier.
Top Top