Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/1/2006 9:31:51 AM EDT
I am writing an application in Asp.Net and I need to decide on a back-end technology. This will be something I am out of pocket on, and although I own Windows Server 2003 (which gives me IIS/.NET and Share Point services which I need), I am not so enthusiastic about SQL Server's price tag ($6,000 per proc).

The application will be web based, and will contain a workflow engine and a document control engine (with full audit trail and versioning).

The three questions I have are:

1. Are SQL Server's XML features worth it, considering I am using XML heavily in my application? I know that I need to see just exactly what is offered in this realm, but if anyone has a thumbs up/down I'd love to hear it.
2. Are there any other features of SQL Server that make it an obvious choice?
3. Will a connection to a non-MS server create the need for a bunch of manual coding rather than the nifty way you can just drop a datagrid control (for example) on a page and have it "just work"?

I have looked at Ruby on Rails, Zope, etc., but have decided that the business logic will indeed be in .NET.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:58:12 PM EDT
While I generally try to use products like MySql and PHP for what I do, based on what you've said, it sounds like the MS product is the best path - then again, I am not a DBA, rather a SysAdmin.

I've seen some insane apps using .net run on MS servers with the SQL backend. Most of the developers that I support swear by it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:25:56 AM EDT
you got IM
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:15:04 PM EDT
Thanks for the heads up, "theDave1164".

Looks like the framework and SQL Server are so intertwined that you lose much functionality when you use a different database.

No worries though - my biggest grip was my own license, and I was going to get an MSDN subscription until you told me about the action pack.

At the price this software will sell at, the clients won't care about the $6,000 SQL server license anyway.
Top Top