Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 5:56:23 AM EDT
I've got it bad this time. My internet browsing is absolutely crawling, but with a twist. For example, it takes forever to get to ARFCOM, but once I'm here, I can go from forum to forum fairly quickly. After I leave for another site however, I sit and wait, and invariably have to hit the refresh button to get the page to load.

I'm currently using Windows XP Home Edition and IE 6. I regularly run Spybot, Ad-Aware, AVG, just added the new Windows Defender, and am even trying the trial version of Trojan Hunter. I don't have all of these active at once, but will run them, reboot, re-scan for results, then run another. Same results all the time: they'll show something was detected and then removed, but when I go back online, it's the same story. I tried turning off system restore to run them, and then following the previously mentioned process, but I still have the same results. Is it time to just buy something like Spy Sweeper?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:03:14 AM EDT
[#1]
You'r downloading, updating then rebooting in safe mode (no networking) then running correct? If you feel comfortable with some registry edits I can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:40:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You'r downloading, updating then rebooting in safe mode (no networking) then running correct? If you feel comfortable with some registry edits I can point you in the right direction.

You'll have to work through my elementary understanding of your question, but don't I need to do something to reboot in "safe mode?" I'm not on a network if that's what your question is implying, as this is my home PC.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The easiest way to keep you PC clean and it's all free and it works

Security Tango

Click on the "Let's dance" tab and follow the directions to a T.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Correct! After you turn your PC on you should get the BIOS/manufactures splash screen. Hit F8 a few times after this. You should get this screen.
Choose just plain old safe mode and let it continue to boot. It will give you a notice like this.

You don’t want to do anything but boot into safe mode. When your PC comes up completely it will say safe mode in the four corners of you screen? Now run your various cleaning products.

Note: Board moderators. If this is not appropriate to post info like this here please let me know.
Also note: These pics are not mine. They are from a Google search.

Les
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
for legitimate software  link

another one link

even paid version of these programs will not get rid of all spyware,malware, trojans immediatly.    this crap comes out too fast for them to catch all of it.    it up to you to pay attention to what email, links you click, programs you istall.  and TOS  you don't read.

or just run a dual boot of linux.  and do all your surfing or emailing there.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Prevent the crap from getting on your computer to begin with.  I use the above products plus Spywareblaster and the Microsoft spyware program.  I put all of them on my computers at the install of a fresh operating system and never have problems with spyware.  I use a P2P program alot but never install Kazaa or crap like that or you are just asking for problems.  For P2P I use emule.  No spyware.  Anytime I've worked on someones computer with other P2P programs I have found loads of crap on them.  Run spybot S&D with the tea timer if you are prone to problems.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Security Tango

Holy moly, that took almost all day! However, I have to say the PC is running much better. I'll go a few more days to see if it's right back where it should be, but it is absolutely one heckuva lot better. I'm currently unemployed, or I'm not so sure I could finish that up, but it certainly uncovered and fixed an awful lot of problems, so thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Security Tango

Holy moly, that took almost all day! However, I have to say the PC is running much better. I'll go a few more days to see if it's right back where it should be, but it is absolutely one heckuva lot better. I'm currently unemployed, or I'm not so sure I could finish that up, but it certainly uncovered and fixed an awful lot of problems, so thanks!

Good. I am glad it worked out for you. It's a pretty solid program put together by a computer science professor at a very high tech college in my city so I know the guy knows his stuff.

Try and run the entire program at least once a month and you will be good to go.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Just format and reinstall.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Actually the best choice some times.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:13:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the best choice some times.

I spent more time trying to fix it then I can formatting and reinstalling my stuff
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#14]
why is it important to run programs like ad-aware and spybot in safe mode?  mine seem to be working fine without rebooting in safe mode.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
why is it important to run programs like ad-aware and spybot in safe mode?  mine seem to be working fine without rebooting in safe mode.

if your computer is infected, if you boot into normal mode the programs will most likely load on startup also.  when you boot into safe mode it only loads the basics no extra software, drivers, spyware is loaded.    

basically its alot easier to get rid of it in safe mode than normal mode.  

I use safe mode with network support EVERYDAY working on infected machines
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if your computer is infected, if you boot into normal mode the programs will most likely load on startup also.  when you boot into safe mode it only loads the basics no extra software, drivers, spyware is loaded.    

Ok.  If you're not having a problem, is it still better to run those programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware stuff) in safe mode?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.  If you're not having a problem, is it still better to run those programs (anti-virus, anti-spyware stuff) in safe mode?

if your not having a specific problem, there is no need to scan in safe mode.  its unnecessary

safe mode is specifically diag, troublshooting mode only.    its also the best place to defrag your hardrive.  hint hint
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Also your scanning will be much faster in safe mode. I was working on an infected clients laptop about a month ago and noticed that Spybot ect, would finish about 50% faster in safe mode.

Virus cleaning checklist

Turn off system restore then boot into safe mode with networking and run spybot, add-aware, and Microsoft anti-spyware one after the other. Then get on the internet (you chose safe mode with networking right?) and run some of these free online scans:

housecall.trendmicro.com
www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
www.grisoft.com/doc/1
www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

Personally I have found that Panda seems to find stuff others will miss.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top