Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 7:01:06 PM EDT
Hi guys,
I'm running Windows XP 2002 Home Edition, Version 2, Service pack 2.

When I use the "Search for Files or Folders" program found on the Start Menu, it fails to find files that I know exist in "My Documents".  However, it will find files in other folders.  For example: I've got 100 or so pdf's, and when I search on *.pdf, it says "no results to display".  Same thing if I search for mp3's, jpg's, txt's, doc's, xls's.  I got the "search in subfolders" box checked, so what else can be the problem?  Even if I search on the specific filename, like "bushmaster.txt" it fails to locate it.

Thanx in advance,
txgp17
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
do you have the folders encrypted, or compressed.

next time select all files and folders and do a full system scan.   let us know what happens  

never heard this happen so.  well see what happens
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
No compression, no encryption
I searched, and set the "LOOK IN" choice to "MY COMPUTER".  It found the file I was looking for, but listed it twice.  I changed the "view"  to the details mode, so I could see file root location, size, type, and date.  All were identical, so it's listing the files it does find twice.  When the search was finished, I changed the "LOOK IN" choice to the specific folder that it's located in, and it failed to find it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No compression, no encryption
I searched, and set the "LOOK IN" choice to "MY COMPUTER".  It found the file I was looking for, but listed it twice.  I changed the "view"  to the details mode, so I could see file root location, size, type, and date.  All were identical, so it's listing the files it does find twice.  When the search was finished, I changed the "LOOK IN" choice to the specific folder that it's located in, and it failed to find it.

Weird.  You ARE aware that many files will be found twice because a shortcut exists to them in "recent", right?

If it were my PC, I'd go to toolbar.msn.com and install it.  You get the Windows Vista "Windows Desktop Search" with it which is a million times better than the standard search.  Either that or it would slowly eat at me and I'd reinstall the OS.

A bonus with that toolbar is that you get tabbed browsing in IE.  Just de-select all the check boxes on install, to stay away from the annoying features.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Weird.  You ARE aware that many files will be found twice because a shortcut exists to them in "recent", right?

I checked that, by searching for files that I know I haven't opened or accessed in a long time.  And they are still listed twice.
Bummer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top