Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 4:24:04 AM EDT
The cable modem is hooked up to the girlfriend's desktop computer.  My laptop connects via linksys router.  I want to create a network so I can only access the printer that is connected to her desktop.  How do I go about this?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You already have a network if you have a router. But computers need to be in the same 'workgroup', (My Computer/properties/computer name/ change button,if different, change requires reboot). I assume both are XP. Once both are in same workgroup, you go to the printer properties and share the printer. Go to laptop and double click on My Network places and it should show up. Then, go to laptop printer properties and add a printer, choose network and browse and pick the shared prnter. It CAN be that simple, it may not.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
get a usb printserver. the printer's usb cord plugs into the server (it's just a small plastic box smaller than a cigarette pack), then you connect the printserver to your router with a cat 5 cable. as long as the printserver is in the same i.p. address range as the computers on your router, they will all be able to see the printserver and use the printer. this way you dont need any of the individual computers networked together.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
get a usb printserver. the printer's usb cord plugs into the server (it's just a small plastic box smaller than a cigarette pack), then you connect the printserver to your router with a cat 5 cable. as long as the printserver is in the same i.p. address range as the computers on your router, they will all be able to see the printserver and use the printer. this way you dont need any of the individual computers networked together.

The computers are still considered "networked" together whether you have file sharing or printer sharing turned on. A print server isn't necessarily a bad idea, but most multi function printers will not work with print servers.

-d
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top