Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/3/2006 8:21:36 PM EDT
Looking at giving it a try.

I downloaded the Knoppix one but I understand ther are many different versions of Liux?

My kids game a lot. Are they out of luck? For a home network wit 5 computers (currently running XP Pro) and 4 of them game a lot and burn CD's, Itunes, MP#'s etc. Is Linux good for that?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 8:49:40 PM EDT by cruze5]
I use fedore core 4 at work for browsing the web, email, gaim(aim), basic wordprocessing. And a samba file server.

here are some others to try
live cds

any major web surfing i try to do on linux.

i have a linux server next to me that i used to host basic. CSS and bf2 servers.

I have fedora c4 on my laptop. lucky my wireless card was compatible. and it works flawlessly with 128bit wep encryption. i never thought id get it working. but it really wasn't so bad.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:03:42 PM EDT
I like UBUNTU but I have heard Debian, Gentoo and Knoppix are nice.

+1 to the live CD's. Ubuntu offers a live cd for download...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:14:11 PM EDT
Go with Suse, you can download the most recent versions with bittorrent in CD or DVD format:

www.interknet.net/bt/

Great distro. Easy to use, has wizards like windows. Set it up in a number of businesses, pretty much idiot proof, or as intricate as you need it to be.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:53:38 AM EDT
Thanks for the info guys. Would Linux fit my needs? I am still going to give it a whirl though if even only for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT by cruze5]

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Thanks for the info guys. Would Linux fit my needs? I am still going to give it a whirl though if even only for me.

If you mean windoz games. Im not sure they will run. You have to hear it from a more experienced linux user for sure. Wine is the programs that they use. I would have no idea how to set it up to work

ive tried suse, redhat, mandrake, debian( no friendly gui interface, was made for stable servers), slax, fedora. fedora to me seems the easiest. the only time i reboot these fedora machines. is when ever there is a kernel update. maybe once a month or so.

to top it off each of these fedora boxes run folding home 24/7 which is more proof on how stable they are
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:56:58 AM EDT
Alot of windows games will run on Wine (a sort of windows emaulator for linux) but not all of them. the ones that don't run on wine will work if you use VMware under linux to run a virtual windows.

For easy live CDs and linux in general try MEPIS
for the best stable OS run Slackware

Fedora is good too, but I don't like RPMs
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:48:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hectic:
Alot of windows games will run on Wine (a sort of windows emaulator for linux) but not all of them. the ones that don't run on wine will work if you use VMware under linux to run a virtual windows.

Why don't you like rpms?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:34:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

Originally Posted By Hectic:

Why don't you like rpms?

he must like doing stuff the long way
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:38:57 PM EDT
I prefer source for packages or .deb

I've always liked debian over redhat
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:14:33 PM EDT
I just installed ubuntu (Breezy) on an old desktop I had laying around. I have been playing with linux for years now, but never was real serious.

This Breezy install was EASY, probably easier than an XP install. It has lots of packages avail, and it lets you know there are updates and you click one icon to download and install them.

Distributions like this are really gonna put Linux on the map, heck, a little kid could install this one.

I do use command line for Windows products and Cisco products but I also like the ease of GUI and that has been an issue since the beginning of linux.

Now I will be spending more time exploring this distribution.
Top Top