Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/15/2006 7:41:34 PM EDT
Just a question. I had Norton Antivirus 2002 installed on my dell, and 2003 Norton Firewall and everything worked good. Well, when I went to renew my subscription to the antivirus, it was no longer available due to the year, upgrade was required. Well with all the rebates & such with my turbo tax I bought, I decided to get the internet securities 2006. I figured it had the virus protection & the firewall & other features. WELL, after installing this program, I do like it but damn does it ever bog my system down. Everything is running really slow. When it does a scan, the computer is at like 100% usuage. I bought my system back in 2002, runnning windows XP home. Don't remember the how much memory or ram I have. What can I do to increase the performance. Do I need more Ram, Memory, Upgrade my processor (is this even possible) or what? And do I have to buy directly from Dell, or is the aftermarket shit compatible with Dell systems. Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:24:55 AM EDT
symantec products are notorious for this same problem. and hundreds more. a couple thinkgs to help

add more memory crucial.com type in your model number and the memory is guaranteed to work. I sell this to all my customers, for workstations and home pc's.

open the program disable some of the features of norton. instead of NAV scanning all files, tell it to scan only certain extensions.

you can find out how much memory you have by. click start button right click on my computer and click properties. the bottom right will tell you the amount of memory.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:21:23 AM EDT
Norton SUCKS. I use plain old Symantec Anti-Virus 9 Corporate Edition, it has all the bullshit cut out and is faster.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:42:52 AM EDT
BTW Norton System Works 2006 has rootkit software on it and is probably installed on your PC now. Read about it here. FlexBeta
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:03:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By voodochild:
BTW Norton System Works 2006 has rootkit software on it and is probably installed on your PC now. Read about it here. FlexBeta

that norton feature has been around since '99 at least
they are just now calling it a rootkit
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:07:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:21:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:09:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cruze5:

Originally Posted By MormonComputerZ:
www.rickysanders.net/TomFernandezProduction/I-love-symantec.JPG

I wanted to see how someone would reply. LOL
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:32:40 AM EDT
Did you uninstall all of the pre-existing versions of Norton before installing 2006? I put it on 2 machines one I didn't uninstall and it worked seemlessly(HP w/P4) and the other (Compaq/AMD) wouldn't work worth shit until the Pakastani service advisor told me to uninstall existing versions.

Norton seems to work very well for me and there is no noticeable hesitation or drag.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:37:28 AM EDT
Symantec is SLOW, monitors and does like a bazillion things. Memory upgrades in order.
Top Top