Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 9:30:30 PM EDT
Whats up with my router?  Its a Linksys BEFW11S4.  As soon as I start up a bittorent client, my router dies and I lose my connection.

What gives?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Up/downgraded the firmware to 1.50.14.

Broadband Reports is full of people reporting problems with that model. It apears that firmware version fixes a lot of problems.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:43:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Up/downgraded the firmware to 1.50.14.

Broadband Reports is full of people reporting problems with that model. It apears that firmware version fixes a lot of problems.

yea...thats the firmware ive been using.  I guess i'll just get a new router.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Whats up with my router?  Its a Linksys BEFW11S4.  As soon as I start up a bittorent client, my router dies and I lose my connection.

What gives?

Do you have UPnP turned on in the router and in the bittorrent client? I know in the client I use for BT, I had to change the number of connections incoming and outgoing otherwise my router would get really bogged down and wouldn't process anything.

-d
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
the router im connected to does the same thing, perhaps ill tell the neighbor to get a new router...

...or maybe not    
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#5]
screw it. I bought a new router.  A D-Link DGL-4300,  it has a Gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000, w00t!

$119 at newegg

games.dlink.com/products/?pid=370

got my new router!  man its fast!

Got it all setup. This thing has some awsome settings in the bios!

So far my internet surfing speed is more robust, and im downloading bittorents at 165kb/s now!

I havent messed with the wireless yet or some of the advanced features. But I highly recommend the D-Link DGL-4300 router for power users and gamers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#6]
that one way to fix your problem
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
that one way to fix your problem

Yea, im pretty much sick of this Linksys router. Its been nuthing but trouble. Its always getting clogged up and fails to renew IP leases amongst other problems.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
that was the first router i used at my house.     about 5 years ago.   i payed about $350 dollars for it.   i just checked it a couple weeks ago.  because i have constant DSL problems here.   just as a troubleshooting thing.   and sure enough it still works

now i use the wrt54g routers
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
screw it. I bought a new router.  A D-Link DGL-4300,  it has a Gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000, w00t!

$119 at newegg

Gigabit is nice and all... but do your cables and network cards support it? Won't make a difference with internet, but might if you transfer a lot of stuff back and forth on the pc's within your network.

-d
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$119 at newegg

Gigabit is nice and all... but do your cables and network cards support it? Won't make a difference with internet, but might if you transfer a lot of stuff back and forth on the pc's within your network.

-d

yea, ive got cat-6 and a gigabit onboard nic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What gives?

Do you have UPnP turned on in the router and in the bittorrent client? I know in the client I use for BT, I had to change the number of connections incoming and outgoing otherwise my router would get really bogged down and wouldn't process anything.

-d

I had to limit mine to 30 connections or my Linksys BEFSR41 would do that same thing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$119 at newegg

-d

yea, ive got cat-6 and a gigabit onboard nic.

What are you connecting it to then? Just the router and nothing else?

-d
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:05:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

-d

cable modem, and a few other PC's.  Ive played with a gigabit switch at work, and I liked it ALOT. You shoud get one too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-d

cable modem, and a few other PC's.  Ive played with a gigabit switch at work, and I liked it ALOT. You shoud get one too.

I have installed plenty of gigabit networks. I was just asking, because I've come across a lot of people that say "wow, look at me I have gigabit!" but then they ask why they aren't getting gigabit speeds. A bunch of people don't realize that the whole network needs to be gigabit to get those speeds.

-d
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#15]
got my new router!  man its fast!.  A D-Link DGL-4300,  it has a Gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000, w00t!

$119 at newegg

Got it all setup. This thing has some awesome settings in the bios! The firewall gui is excellent.

So far my internet surfing speed is more robust, and im downloading bittorents at 165kb/s now!

I havent messed with the wireless yet or some of the advanced features. But I highly recommend the D-Link DGL-4300 router for power users and gamers.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
got my new router!  man its fast!.  A D-Link DGL-4300,  it has a Gigabit ethernet 10/100/1000, w00t!

What makes it good for power users and gamers? I'm in both categories, so I'd like to know.

-d
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What makes it good for power users and gamers? I'm in both categories, so I'd like to know.

-d

Its fast as hell. And the configuration settings in the bios are incredible. You want to configure for BF2? cool, just click BF2 in the settings and it sets up the ports and directs them to your pc, Gamefuel is great, really handles bandwidth between PC's well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top